Warranty work by Ford.....big time fail (oil pan oil leak & a-pillar water leak attempted fixes)

dave80

So far, does it appear to be 2015 Sports having oil leak issues? I don't I have seen 2016's yet. I often worry a bit about this type of stuff as it is looking more and more likely that I will be relocating to a very rural part of the country in a couple months where it could be a couple hours or more to a Ford dealership.

• 2 weeks later...

That kind of shows you just how much of a learning curve there is when we move to things being made with different materials than traditionally. I think we have also seen threads around broken oil drain plugs on these 2.7's as well from people not knowing that the drain plug must be hand tightened. Just like there was a learning curve in both manufacturing and repair of plastic intake manifolds, these too will take a little time and then be solid just like plastic intake manifolds are now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 2016 sport has the oil pan leak as well. I bought it in April brand-new (great rebates!) And it's build date is October 2016. It appears to be very minor as the only way to tell is the slight smell outside the vehicle and a small (yet growing) staying on my garage floor. The dipstick shows no decrease in oil yet.

The dealer I use in southeastern Michigan (I like them very much) couldn't even get it in front of the mechanic until early June although I reported and they confirmed the leak back in late April.

Other than this and a hell of a time getting the original USB hub out in order to allow CarPlay to work I absolutely love this vehicle!

Edited by aloyouis

My Sport was built in Jan 2017, and this weekend I did an oil and oil filter change at 5.2K miles and noticed what looks like an oil leak, however it looks odd because the oil was clean, and there was no oil on the underside cover, and no oil spots on my garage floor.

I've cleaned it and if I see more oil on the next oil change I'll be taking to my dealership.

post-44162-0-23580200-1495377926_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-96358200-1495377941_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-59926100-1495377955_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-41881600-1495377978_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-74525500-1495377989_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

The oil pan is a one time use item, the dealership is suppose to replace the pan if it is removed even if they are just redoing the seal. I had a small leak on my pan service department replaced the pan and resealed and no more leaks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I cleaned and then monitored the leak on mine and found it to be coming from what I assumed to be the oil pressure switch near the crank pulley, and when I had it at Ford a week ago they confirmed the leak location and replaced what I learnt is an oil solenoid.

See the attached photo of the drain plug after the Ford service - clearly they didn't wipe it off or I now have a leaking drain plug - I've cleaned it and will monitor it and the solenoid.

post-44162-0-45941800-1503330389_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-59722300-1503330417_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-04896300-1504405139_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor this afternoon. :headscratch:

Put my 2017 Edge Sport on ramps to take a look.....

Looks like it is coming from the oil pan sealing surface. Only on the rear section of the oil pan.

I really inspected everything in the area of the leak to ensure the oil isn't coming from somewhere else and just running along the oil pan - to - engine junction.

It's definitely coming from the oil pan.

Yes, this oil pan is made of a composite plastic material.

Interesting that the 2.7L block is made of very very strong CGI (compacted graphite iron), but the oil pan is plastic.

The 2.7L is a great engine.

I'm loving this vehicle, love the 2.7L twin turbo torque!

BUT, it's very disappointing to have an oil leak at 3000 miles. But I realize that this is a simple fix...easy to get to as well. I'm glad this oil leak isn't anything that would require extensive disassembly of the engine.

Interesting that I'm reading that the whole oil pan is usually replaced during repair?

I'll keep everyone posted on my experience.

Edited by d7h7cc7

I changed an oil pan on my '98 after the original started leaking. It was a metal one but by all references I read it is very important to torque to bolts down equally and in proper sequence. The gasket has to seat appropriately and not bulge out on one side or t'other. My bet is that the techs at Ford just torque down each bolt to whatever the airgun is set to and simply around clockwise (or counter-clockwise) and don't care too much about sequence or snugging it up gently. Remember, techs get a bump on how many cars they process through the service department. And with a plastic (or whatever) oil pan, I'm thinking a hasty install can lead to over-torque cracking, stripped bolt holes, and all kinds of gasket leak issues.

My Edge Limited AWD so far has runs, drips, or errors. If at some point I have to change out an oil pan, I'm doing it myself.

Just my $.02. Take it for what its worth.

Edited by chefduane

I changed an oil pan on my '98 after the original started leaking. It was a metal one but by all references I read it is very important to torque to bolts down equally and in proper sequence. The gasket has to seat appropriately and not bulge out on one side or t'other. My bet is that the techs at Ford just torque down each bolt to whatever the airgun is set to and simply around clockwise (or counter-clockwise) and don't care too much about sequence or snugging it up gently. Remember, techs get a bump on how many cars they process through the service department. And with a plastic (or whatever) oil pan, I'm thinking a hasty install can lead to over-torque cracking, stripped bolt holes, and all kinds of gasket leak issues.

My Edge Limited AWD so far has runs, drips, or errors. If at some point I have to change out an oil pan, I'm doing it myself.

Just my $.02. Take it for what its worth.

Might be a bit easier to change the oil pan on yours. On the 15+Sport, you have to remove the front sub frame.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to chime in. I've got a 2017 Edge Sport (2.7L). I also had a leak coming from the oil pan to engine mating surface (rear of pan only). Oil pan was replaced Jan 28th (4292 miles on vehicle). Just noticed the leak returned at 5272 miles! :(

Back into the shop in less then 1000 miles for same issue.

Researching this issue...the 2.7L EcoBoost in the F-150's are also seeing this issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I own a Ford Edge sport 2016 twin turbo, 6000 miles. I have had this on going problem with smelling oil burning and bringing my car into the deal and the dealer repairing the leak. Each time the repair does not work. The last time I had the car repaired a new process to fix the leak was done and it seem to fix the leak.

However, after I drive and stop the car I can smell a strong order of oil etc...So I do not know if this normal or not.

Anyone have any solutions? When do they actual fix the problem with another new car?

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have had my oil pan worked on 3 times, and now my engine went out last week. It's in the dealership now hoping that it will be covered under the 60,000 power train warranty. Anyone else have their engine go out that had leaky oil pans? Here is what it sounded like its not my video but the exact issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfIy3J4b8fU

• Sad 2