Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

t0lkman

Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

• Yes
    • No
    • I had to buy different trim level

I was using the inside door lock switch because I had no information about the correct usage of the outside handle. In many parking lots I found the ambient noise masked the sound of the door locks. I don't think the parking lights flash when you use the inside switches but I did see them flash when I used the buttons on the remote. It's not a big deal but certainly not intuitive for someone who doesn't have a manual.

Yes, the sport mode does hold gears longer and delays upshifts. That's part of the problem... it delayed upshifts even when I had already used the paddle. If they're going to provide manual control paddles then they should actually control the transmission manually rather than just continuing to wind up to higher RPM before shifting. If Ford intended the sport mode to always shift later and more firmly then the paddles are just a pointless deception.

One other thing I noticed was the wipers. I don't know when they switched from both wipers moving the same direction to the current setup of the wipers moving outward from the middle but they should have improved the strength of the arms and blades at the same time. They look like they wobble through the entire stroke. During a short run through heavy rain I started to wonder whether they would even remain attached because of the way they were flopping around.

Still overall, I feel it's a big improvement over the prior model. I agree that it looks very much like the Hyundai Santa Fe but I don't mind that at all. Most of the vehicles in this class look quite similar.

I have a 2015 Edge SEL, purchased in July 2015, Color: Guard.

On the up side: This is probably the best car I have driven in a long, long time. I have two major trips; one to Mexico for 3,000 miles and one in the US at 5,500 miles and the vehicle is quiet, tracks well on the highway, lot's of power, get's excellent gas mileage (Ecoboost 4), has very good features and accessories. I would definitely buy one again. I really, really like the appearance of the unit and have blacked out all the chrome including the wheels.

On the down side: The Navigation system is absolutely terrible and out of date, the driver's power seat will not allow "tilting" forward of the seat without the seat being forward in the track, I had the dashboard replace twice for blistering and the headliner replaced because the fabric wasn't fully installed, the voice command system is complex to use and won't work with the sunroof open, and the sunroof rattles in gusty winds on the highway, the rear seats don't fold flat. With the exception of the Navigation system, most of these things are minor inconveniences and I got great support from my dealer on the dashboard and headliner issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my '19 Edge this summer and absolutely love it. This is my third Edge:  ('11 MKX, '16 Edge Titanium and now this one '19 Edge Titanium "Elite"). If I didn't like them, I wouldn't have bought three of them! :2thumbs:

Claude. :)

Edited by 2FAST4U

I voted "NO" in the poll and here's why: I bought my '16 Edge last April and although I've had several brand new vehicles in the past, this is the one I'm the LEAST HAPPY with. :cry: I bought it because I saw it in my dealer's showroom and "fell in love with it" I loved the look, and already had a '11 Lincoln MKX (bought used, which is one of the best "everyday" vehicles I've ever owned) and expected this new Edge would be just as great but I'm already disappointed with it. I must say that I'm quite picky wen it comes to my cars and this one is such a big disappointment to me… :hammer_self: I don't know what to say.

First, the right side doors don't align when closed and look like if it had been involved in an accident and poorly repaired. Seeing that, complained to my dealer and they sent it out to a body shop to readjust the doors. They're now a little better but still not right. They also flaked the paint from the bolts which hold the doors and also the door hinges. After calling them, I was given another appointment in a few days from now to have the doors realigned a second time so I'll see if it gets better.

Second, I was never able to hook up my cell phone to the f**ing "Sync 3" system…I HATE it! I went to the dealer to ask them to help me with this and …you guessed it…they said it was my phone which had something wrong with it. Yeah sure...Funnily, it was working fine in my MKX! :rant2:

Third, that rear hatch opening device which is supposed to open when showing your foot under the rear bumper only worked once and never did work again. :(

So for now, I'm still unhappy with it and don't know for how long I'm going to keep it.

Claude.

Hi Claude,

I'd like to help with your SYNC concerns! What kind of phone are you using? Can you explain what happens exactly when you try to pair it to SYNC?

Joy

Hi Claude,

I'd like to help with your SYNC concerns! What kind of phone are you using? Can you explain what happens exactly when you try to pair it to SYNC?

Joy

Thank you Joy for your reply. The cell phone I'm using is a Sonim XP5520. What I don't understand is that it did work in my 2011 Lincoln MKX but not in my new Edge and the dealer, not being able to make it work simply took the easy way out saying that it was my phone which had something wrong... :(

The problem is that when it's paired, I can see it on the screen but if someone calls, it's the phone which rings and I cannot hear or talk unless I pick up the phone and use it normally. Does not go through the Sync. :shrug:

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U

It's in privacy mode.

No it is not, I already checked... :shrug:

That was my first thought as well but you would think the dealer would have noticed that (then again, I may be expecting too much of some of the dealers).

I have an appointment at the dealer next Tuesday and they said they they'd look into in again...

Claude. :)

Thanks Joy. ;) I'm going to try with my girlfriend's iPhone this weekend and see what happens… If it's still the same, I'll wait 'till next week to go at the dealer. I'll keep you guys posted.

About my cell phone, I know it's not an iPhone or even a "smart" phone at all but heck…it was working in my MKX! :shrug:

Claude.

I am so discussted with ford motor company. I am 46 years old and have only owned 1 vehicle that was not a ford, i never thought i would ever consider buying anything but a ford. But the last 2 brand new ford purchases were nothing but garbage vehicles. I am an ASE certified auto tech, i have 25 years experience, i have recomended ford to many customers but i assure you it wont ever happen again.

First car of hell was a 2000 focus se 2.0, bad habbit of dropping valve seats destroying the piston and ford quit making the valve seats. From day one water leaked in passanger floor, fords fix... a for sale sign wrapped around top of fresh air duct. Not first car ford used for sale sign either, do you remember the thunderbird?

Now the piece of s#@t edge 3.5l, first the transmission takes a dump at 107,000 and yes it was serviced within recomended intervals, 3rd gear solenoid went out dropping pressure burning up clutches, could not find anyone that would touch the transmission, ford quoted $15,000, i found a used one on ebay. The front end pops, rattles, sounds like hell, fords response... its just how they are.. wasnt like that when we bought it. Front brake rotors warp about every 5,000 miles, replaced oe garbage with vented/slotted rotors and so far have been ok.

Now the ignition coils going bad taking out the ecu... quoted from same dealer as transmission $3000 for updated coils, new plugs, and new ecu. Ford is well aware of this issue, every ford car on the road with this engine is having this problem. Fords fix... a tsb, not a recall. Come the hell on ford motor company, i paid $30,000 for this hunk of crap, couldnt you absorb this cost?

I bragged from a ford fan stand point that ford did not take government bail out, maybe they should have and used the money for some R&D. Ford has lost this customer for life, i recently purchased a new kia optima and im very happy with it, i just laugh at the broke down fords on the side of the road as i pass them in my kia.

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING A NEW FORD.... DON'T

When did you buy your Edge, sounds like brand new? What trans service is recommended before 150,000 miles? And def, plugs/coils/ecu the whole situation stinks. When did you look at/change plugs? Ford brakes have usually been middling, except MAYBE on "specialty" lines.

And did you shop dealers for service? A remanned trans with a great warranty from Ford is not nearly as expensive as you suggest. Dealers will always book MSRP, but that can be negotiated.

Hope you are happy with your Optima, I rarely pass a broken down Ford in my area. Maybe Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai sure :) I guess they send the best Fords to our area to spike the statistics, and/or we do take care of our vehicles up here? Very mysterious. Not buying into the lifetime BS is a necessity for sure tho.

I am guessing I got the lottery win of the Ford Edges. over 530,000 miles between three of them and have had a few issues, but nothing to cause great concern. I of course spend money on the maintenance of the Edge and most likely more than most people but in turn I receive back the reliability.

• Like 1

I am so discussted with ford motor company. I am 46 years old and have only owned 1 vehicle that was not a ford, i never thought i would ever consider buying anything but a ford. But the last 2 brand new ford purchases were nothing but garbage vehicles. I am an ASE certified auto tech, i have 25 years experience, i have recomended ford to many customers but i assure you it wont ever happen again.

First car of hell was a 2000 focus se 2.0, bad habbit of dropping valve seats destroying the piston and ford quit making the valve seats. From day one water leaked in passanger floor, fords fix... a for sale sign wrapped around top of fresh air duct. Not first car ford used for sale sign either, do you remember the thunderbird?

Now the piece of s#@t edge 3.5l, first the transmission takes a dump at 107,000 and yes it was serviced within recomended intervals, 3rd gear solenoid went out dropping pressure burning up clutches, could not find anyone that would touch the transmission, ford quoted $15,000, i found a used one on ebay. The front end pops, rattles, sounds like hell, fords response... its just how they are.. wasnt like that when we bought it. Front brake rotors warp about every 5,000 miles, replaced oe garbage with vented/slotted rotors and so far have been ok.

Now the ignition coils going bad taking out the ecu... quoted from same dealer as transmission $3000 for updated coils, new plugs, and new ecu. Ford is well aware of this issue, every ford car on the road with this engine is having this problem. Fords fix... a tsb, not a recall. Come the hell on ford motor company, i paid $30,000 for this hunk of crap, couldnt you absorb this cost?

I bragged from a ford fan stand point that ford did not take government bail out, maybe they should have and used the money for some R&D. Ford has lost this customer for life, i recently purchased a new kia optima and im very happy with it, i just laugh at the broke down fords on the side of the road as i pass them in my kia.

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING A NEW FORD.... DON'T

WOW quite a rant.

1) To establish you are an ASE mechanic for? Fiat?

2) Water leak? you own a 2008 and I assume since you are a mechanic you know how to clean AC coil drain tubes? maybe not.

3) The solenoid you speak of is a classic TSS and OSS failure which is not physical to the transmission. Any medium experienced mechanic can change these out for 200-300 dollars and few hours of time in their garage.

4) Why are you going to the dealer for them to repair if you are an ASE mechanic? (Fiat)

5) Your price quote of $15,000.00 is both outlandish and fictional (yes i will call it a lie)

6) Replacing the transmission? Who did the work? if it is not working correctly take if back for rework as you paid 3000 dollars they own you warranty at least.

7) referencing #6, If you are an ASE mechanic? (Fiat) why did you not perform the work yourself?

8) My Ford edge just now needs new brakes at 87,000 miles no warping. My other edge at 92K miles had some warping OEM also and My 2008 Edge went 175,000 miles on the OEM brakes before replacement. Maybe you need to keep your foot off the brake? Helps prevent this and you get better gas mileage.

9) ECU? Most mechanics on dealing with Ford Edge refer to this as the PCM? ASE Mechanic (Fiat) anyway. This issue is also repairable by amateur to moderate mechanics. by simply removing the PCM sending it off to be repaired for about or under 200 dollars. New coils and plugs 400 dollar repair and by ALL reports fixes the 3.5 with great results.

You may have received tons of sympathy and support in your post had you ask question on how to repair the above issues. Heck I would of helped!!! I have actually helped a member in person and worked on his edge for him. Instead you chose the lowest possible road to attempt to defeat who? Yourself? The image you have provide everyone is unflattering at best and hopefully your life is getting set up for a better disposition. The offer is open if you ever want to ask a question for assistance. Everyone is here to listen so to speak and willingly help you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the dealer fixed the right side doors which didn't align well…looks great now. :thumbsup: As for my cell phone, they were able to make it work but for some unknown reason, when I receive a call, I have to hit the "privacy" button twice after answering…but at least, it works.

Claude.

I just hit 70,000 on my 2011 SEL and it's been a solid vehicle. I also leased a 2013 MKX for 20,000 miles and loved it. My next ride will definitely be a MKX and I'm thinkin a low mile 2014 is in my future. I have to agree with a few other posters that Ford went the wrong way with the 2015+ Edge's body style.

Finally, the dealer fixed the right side doors which didn't align well…looks great now. :thumbsup: As for my cell phone, they were able to make it work but for some unknown reason, when I receive a call, I have to hit the "privacy" button twice after answering…but at least, it works.

Claude.

e

Check the Bluetooth settings on your phone just to be safe.

You don't need to pull on the door handle to see if it's locked. Get out, close the door and touch the lock area on top of the door handle. You can hear it lock even if you don't see the red leds. I think it may flash the parking lights as well.

Sport mode doesn't just enable the paddles. It also holds gears longer and delays upshifts to keep rpm higher and I thought it did firmer and quicker upshifts.

My Ford EDGE 2016 3.5L is the first car I had that had SPORT mode that actually did make a difference.

I ride in sport mode all the time, I love it.

It really transforms the car.

Paddle controls also work really fast, I have no complaints.

• Like 1

As for my cell phone, they were able to make it work but for some unknown reason, when I receive a call, I have to hit the "privacy" button twice after answeringbut at least, it works.

Claude.

Settings > General > Accessibility > Incoming Calls. The choices are "Default" "Headset" and "Speaker". Set to "Speaker".

Settings > General > Accessibility > Incoming Calls. The choices are "Default" "Headset" and "Speaker". Set to "Speaker".

Thanks "enigma-2" for trying to help me, but the parameters on my cell phone are not like that. :( What puzzles me is that ​I can make a call using the Sync but cannot answer when I receive one… …go figure... :shrug: So what I did is to simply turn the Bluetooth settings to "off" and use my phone through it's built-in speaker…too bad but I guess I'll have to live with that Sync s**t. :rant:

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U