PTU Oil change

Brian K

First post here :)

I have a 2011 Edge Sport AWD that just started the PTU belching out the vent. Winter of 2015-16 I opened up the PTU and cleared the nasty oil as best as I could, and refilled with Valvoline 75w140 synthetic. A week ago it started belching the black grease out the vent, so I sucked about 1/2 quart out of it and replaced with the 75W140.

1. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the vent out? I'd like to clean it out as there was some pressure in the PTU when the plug came out.

2. A buddy and I are going to drill and tap the PTU on my Edge Sport and his Fusion Sport soon, is there anything we should look out for?

Thanks,

Chance

• Like 1

The vent is likely crimped on, and can be removed with a flat head screwdriver. Try this HOWTO:

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6849.0.html

Well, we know where to drill on the PTU for the Edge Sport, not sure the same location applies to the Fusion Sport or not, unless someone has opened that unit up and identified the proper clearances. What year Fusion Sport, btw? 2010-12? The design does look very similar to that in the Edge/MKX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-thru-12-Fusion-MKZ-Milan-OEM-Genuine-Ford-PTO-Power-Take-Off-Differential-NEW-/172284755149

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

First post here :)

I have a 2011 Edge Sport AWD that just started the PTU belching out the vent. Winter of 2015-16 I opened up the PTU and cleared the nasty oil as best as I could, and refilled with Valvoline 75w140 synthetic. A week ago it started belching the black grease out the vent, so I sucked about 1/2 quart out of it and replaced with the 75W140.

1. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the vent out? I'd like to clean it out as there was some pressure in the PTU when the plug came out.

2. A buddy and I are going to drill and tap the PTU on my Edge Sport and his Fusion Sport soon, is there anything we should look out for?

Thanks,

Chance

I would recommend thinking about installing a Fumoto valve with the nipple connector for the drain plug. This would allow you to use vacuum to suck the fluid out and in turn force the new fluid back in. No need to remove the fill plug then. I will say I have not performed this but feel the theory is sound in application.

Edited by macbwt

2007 Lincoln MKX update: Flushed and filed PTU for the third time. Still spitting out the vent. Filled with 11 ounces last time. Probably still too much. Fluid is still black but not as nasty smelling or thick as it once was. I will be doing the flush/fill again next weekend and will fill with 10 ounces this time. Sooner or later this has to stop. Car runs great though, but hate the smell at every traffic light/stop sign.

Sounds like there is a lot of buildup in there. Ultrasonic cleaning is really the only way to get it really clean, but ATF could be used as a thinner/cleaner for 1 round of changes. Do not drive after, just hold the MKX in gear for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (from a cold start), then back to P and shutdown. Drain out all the ATF/gunk. Then add PTU fluid. Repeat a couple more times. This is an additional step, and you have to do 2 changes the same day, but it may help get the PTU really clean. and stop the venting issue.

• Like 1

2007 Lincoln MKX update: Flushed and filed PTU for the third time. Still spitting out the vent. Filled with 11 ounces last time. Probably still too much. Fluid is still black but not as nasty smelling or thick as it once was. I will be doing the flush/fill again next weekend and will fill with 10 ounces this time. Sooner or later this has to stop. Car runs great though, but hate the smell at every traffic light/stop sign.

Am in the same boat as you. 2x drain and (over)fill and my 08 still pukes a bit at stop signs after 5 months, or on steep inclines. Still better than a PTU replacement so I just live with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another update on my 2007 Lincoln MKX PTU problem. Just finished the fourth flush and fill and the puking started again within 10 miles. I am getting SO frustrated. Has anyone replaced the vent cap with one of those vent kits? If so, would anyone know which kit to order ? Would it be the DB5Z-7034-C or the AG1Z-7034-A ? Also, does the kit include the metal fitting that presses into the vent hole? I can't tell from the kits online whether or not it comes with this fitting. HELP !!!

You are SURE there is no overfilling, right? That will cause the fluid to foam and spew out the vent. The correct fill level for 2007 is about a 1/4 inch below the lowest point of the fill plug.

I believe you remove the existing jiggle vent, and press fit the new vent fitting instead.

This is the part number from the TSB and should fit your PTU

AG1Z-7034-A

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=171259

This vent assembly is for 2013 MY on up, hence the new P/N

DB5Z-7034-C

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-valve-asy-vent_db5z-7034-c.html

DB5Z-7034-C Valve Assembly – Vent (Ti-VCT)
DG1Z-7034-F Valve Assembly – Vent (GTDI)

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick response WWRerfA_ZN0W !! It might be geting overfilled, very hard to tell lying on your back. But once it spits out the excess, won't it stop. After 3 weeks of moderate use (approx. 500 miles), only 4 ounces came out. It was puking the crap for 3 weeks. With the vent kit installed, all it should do is creep up the overflow tube when pressurized and back down when cool. This is my theory, which could be wrong.

According to the TSB, they say to remove the PTU. Has this been successfully done in the MKX/Edge without removing the PTU? The only post I see describing the retrofit is for a Taurus SHO. I'm sure the engine compartments are quite different from the Edge/MKX. Anyhow, I am running out of choices at this point.

Again, thanks for the help, and I'll keep you guys posted on my journey !!!

It could be that the PTU is getting so hot the gear lube is literally boiling out.

I wont be surprised if that was happening to our Edge too. The fluid, even a few drops would leak onto the exhaust even during 10-15 mins of local driving after 2 R&R over the past 6 months.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I finally had the vent kit (AG1Z-7034-A) installed into the MKX today. My mechanic said it took 2.5 hours to do. He said he had to work it from the bottom and the top. I drove the car for the 5 mile ride home and the damn thing still apparently is leaking. At first I was happy when I pulled up and then 20 seconds later I smelt the familiar horrible odor, crawled under the car and saw the exhaust smoking. I give up at this point. Someone said maybe it was the residual burning off, but after putting the car into the garage I saw 2 spots on the concrete the size of a dime and quarter that smelled like fresh gear oil. Its like we didn't do anything.

Any suggestions at this point besides driving to a dealer and trading it in? Feeling HOPELESS at this point !!!

You absolutely certain it coming from the vent? Really sounds like one of the seals is leaking. If so, loss of lubricant will cause the remainder to overheat and gum up. Will lead to total loss of the PTU. Why not run it up the your local Ford garage and have them take a look?

• Like 1

We have been flushing and filling the PTU every 2-3 weeks, so I am too worried about it failing. I spoke with my mechanic this AM, and he told me that the new plug that fits into the PTU and attaches to the hose was not a tight fit and that he siliconed it in. I can't see how this can possibly work. 1) the surface would have to be totally clean and dry of fluid and 2) wouldn't be cured in 4 hours when he gave me the car back. This whole thing sucks.

My next question to you smart guys out there is, what is involved with replacement of the passenger side seal? Does the PTU need to come out to do this? If so, I think I am going to throw in the towel and try to stick a Ford dealer as a trade.

I just want to inform anyone thinking about installing the vent kit (AG1Z-7034-A) into an Edge or MKX that the adapter plug that comes with the kit is the wrong size and that the job is a 2+ hour job that you need to work from the bottom and the top. I think if you are investing in that amount of labor, just buy a new PTU from EBAY or Ford online ($700) and have it installed. Make sure that you put a drain plug in before you install so that you can service it periodically.

• Like 2

Good afternoon group,

Here's an update on my Lincoln MKX PTU issue. I took the truck to a highly recommended transmission shop that only does warranty work for local dealers. The owner Pat, is going to replace the PTU as a favor for my regular mechanic that sends him a lot of business. Pat also was nice enough to allow me to purchase the PTU online ($650) and will only charge me 5 hours worth of labor to remove the old unit and install the new unit. I have an appointment next Thursday to have this work performed.

In conversation with Pat, he was telling me that he does at least 2 of these a week. He told me that he could just replace the seal and fill it, but said that there would be no warranty for the work. The seal kit would run me $145 from Ford and he would charge me for 3 hours labor. Given the option of spending $500 more for a brand new part and only 2 more hours of labor, my decision was pretty simple. I got 10 years of service from the original PTU, so hopefully this will be my last one for this vehicle. Also, the part comes with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty and Pat would warranty his labor for a year.

Hopefully, next week at this time, I will be writing my final post regarding this POS PTU but will monitor this forum if someone needs any advice or any recommendations. Thanks again for everyone that helped through this problem !!!

• Like 1

Good Day My Forum Freinds,

I picked up the Lincoln this morning from Dial Transmissions in Merrick, New York. The owner there Pat, is extremely honest and straightforward to work with. He installed the new PTU that I purchased online for $670, charged me 5 hours labor (at $110/hr), and also flushed and filled my transmission for another $125 including the Synthetic fluid. Total job was just under $1400. I know this is just Day 1, but no smell in the car and he said that my old PTU was totally cooked and was burning up the transaxle seals. I guess I just didn't catch the problem early enough.

I am not too upset going the conservative approach of flush/fill/drain plug and vent kit. I learned a lot from this experience and hopefully folks with this same problem can learn from our posts. I plan to give a 1 month update unless a problem comes up and I will post earlier. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...