2007 Edge Check Engine Light - Error Code P0020

CivicSi907

Hi guys,

I am from germany and own a 2007 Edge for about 1 year.

The Check Engine Light, was alway lightning, but the car runs smooth and without any problems.

Now I want to sell the car, but I think its very difficult to sell it with the CEL blinking up.

Sometimes the light goes off and then it goes on again after 1-2 days or so.

I bought a ODBII Diagnostic tool to delete the error, but it also comes back.

It is showing me error P0020.

What could this be? Could it be the camshaft sensor's? Where they located at?

Or what's the problem, because the car runs so well!

Thanks in advance!

A P0020 code refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module)

That consists of an oil control valve (OCV), also called a solenoid valve and other components. Basically the check engine light and associated P0020 trouble code means that the voltage in the circuit has fallen below a set limit for a specific amount of time (varies by make/model/engine). Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesn't contain cylinder #1.

A code P0020 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty oil control valve (OCV)

Open or short in the VVT/VCT circuit

Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve

Damaged computer (PCM)

Some recommended troubleshooting and repair steps are:

Carefully inspect the Bank 2 VVT/VCT system circuit wiring and connectors, repair as required

With a warm engine, test the operation of the OCV, replace/repair as needed

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you are having these issues the question is what is the condition of your oil and is it being changed on a regular basis. VVT do not like dirty oil or heavy viscosity oil. Also the plugs, when changed what miles are on them as this could be a precursor to the PCM failure. Are all cylinders firing or is there a regular miss on them or some? the plugs can miss up to a point before a misfire code is set also.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I am having the same CEL P0020 error on my 07 Edge for about 4 or 5 years now. 

The car runs smooth all the way. 

Finally I decided to work on the CEL so it won't come back on again. 

I already changed the camshaft positions sensors bank 1 and 2.

What would you guys do next? 

Oil change with Motorcraft oil or other recommend oil? 

Change the Oxygen sensors? 

What else? 

Reset and Relearn the VVT? 

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by CivicSi907

1 hour ago, CivicSi907 said:

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I am having the same CEL P0020 error on my 07 Edge for about 4 or 5 years now. 

What's the mileage?

What oil change intervals, what oil used and what oil filter?

This is quite common on poorly serviced vehicles where the sludge causes issues with the camshaft Oil Control Valve (OCV) but someone with a scanner can actually do the required diagnostics to confirm what's actually wrong before throwing more parts at it.

Please add location and Model/Year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

7 hours ago, 1004ron said:

What's the mileage?

What oil change intervals, what oil used and what oil filter?

This is quite common on poorly serviced vehicles where the sludge causes issues with the camshaft Oil Control Valve (OCV) but someone with a scanner can actually do the required diagnostics to confirm what's actually wrong before throwing more parts at it.

Please add location and Model/Year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

Oil change never made since I got the car. Filter also not. 

I was in a mechanic garage and he could read the error code, but couldn't tell me what's the source of this failure. 

3 hours ago, CivicSi907 said:

I was in a mechanic garage and he could read the error code, but couldn't tell me what's the source of this failure. 

103,451 miles without an oil and oil filter change, .......that's your problem right there.

Need more than the error codes read - need to live scan the data - you say you had it at a mechanics shop? - best to find a qualified service shop.

3 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

did you replace the cam sensors (under the intake) or the VCT solenoids (on top of the valve covers/belt side of engine)?  want to be sure because ford uses interchangeable terminology on some things.

I only replaced the camshaft position sensors: Rockauto

5 hours ago, 1004ron said:

103,451 miles without an oil and oil filter change, .......that's your problem right there.

Need more than the error codes read - need to live scan the data - you say you had it at a mechanics shop? - best to find a qualified service shop.

ok what data exactly? The mechanic shop owner is my cousin, thats because I went to him.

I just ordered 7 qts of Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend; SAE 5W-20 and a Motorcraft Oil Filter.

Edited by CivicSi907

8 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

These are what I am referring to. You do have to remove the valve covers to do this work.  At least bank 2 is right up front!

Is it OK to change only bank 2?

Is the oil I have ordered ok? 

Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend; SAE 5W-20

Edited by CivicSi907

10 minutes ago, CivicSi907 said:

And what about the oil? Do I have ordered a good one? 

Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend; SAE 5W-20

That oil meets the minimum requirement - most people here prefer to run full synthetic oil.

Does your owners manual call for  5W-20 or 5W-30 ?

Edited by 1004ron

33 minutes ago, CivicSi907 said:

5w20.

Should I do first an oil change and if the error is still there, then replace the solenoids or what first?

My personal preference is always a diagnostic approach which in your previous response indicated to me that's not your preferred path, so I have no response to that last question.

On 12/7/2020 at 2:30 AM, CivicSi907 said:

Are you saying that the oil hasn’t been changed in 5 years?!?!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akirby said:

Are you saying that the oil hasn’t been changed in 5 years?!?!

4 hours ago, CivicSi907 said:

yes!

Not sure what your expectations are here - you chose not to respond to that question when I asked it earlier.

The reason behind that question was to ascertain if this could be a case of maintenance neglect, which results in sludge, and sludge doesn't work well with any engine and particularly the Variable Valve Timing controls.

The mechanic shop owner is my cousin, thats because I went to him.

Any qualified mechanic will have the skills to assess and diagnose this type of problem.

You're damn lucky the engine is still running.   How do you go 5 years without changing the oil?

Change oil and filter with fresh motorcraft 5W20 blend.   Run it long enough to get it up to temp for 15 or 20 minutes.  Change the oil again.  Keep doing that until the oil stays clean.   Then resume diagnostics.

6 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Not sure what your expectations are here - you chose not to respond to that question when I asked it earlier.

The reason behind that question was to ascertain if this could be a case of maintenance neglect, which results in sludge, and sludge doesn't work well with any engine and particularly the Variable Valve Timing controls.

Any qualified mechanic will have the skills to assess and diagnose this type of problem.

Sorry buddy, but I responded to any post you have made. Maybe my English is not the best, but I do my best. I responded with the answer that I have ordered 7 qts of oil. It was meant to be the answer you wanted to have, that I didn't do an oil change for many years. 

Hope you understand what I mean. 

5 minutes ago, CivicSi907 said:

Sorry buddy, but I responded to any post you have made. Maybe my English is not the best, but I do my best. I responded with the answer that I have ordered 7 qts of oil. It was meant to be the answer you wanted to have, that I didn't do an oil change for many years. 

Hope you understand what I mean. 

I gathered that you were not proficient in English and have no issue with that.

What's the mileage?

So, have you done 5,000 miles in the 5 years its not been serviced, or have you done 300,000 miles in 5 years without a service?

Clearly the engine has suffered due to lack of maintenance, but how badly none of us can tell, so again, best find a qualified mechanic that can assess the engine and decide the next steps such as an oil flush and frequent oil and oil filter changes.

Please add location and Model/Year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

• Like 1