2007 Edge Check Engine Light - Error Code P0020

CivicSi907

33 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I gathered that you were not proficient in English and have no issue with that.

So, have you done 5,000 miles in the 5 years its not been serviced, or have you done 300,000 miles in 5 years without a service?

Clearly the engine has suffered due to lack of maintenance, but how badly none of us can tell, so again, best find a qualified mechanic that can assess the engine and decide the next steps such as an oil flush and frequent oil and oil filter changes.

Please add location and Model/Year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

I have done about 70000km in 5 years. 

I already added signature on the first time you have said it. I can see my signature on desktop site. 

4 minutes ago, CivicSi907 said:

I have done about 70000km in 5 years. 

That's about a good 4k miles or so. Even though the mileage is extremely low for a 5 year period, Oil has been tested and proven to loose its properties after a 2 year period or so. 

2 minutes ago, CivicSi907 said:

I live in Germany. 

I can see how that may not be cost prohibitive. I'm sure there is a place in EU that offers similar service. 

31 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

That's about a good 4k miles or so. Even though the mileage is extremely low for a 5 year period, Oil has been tested and proven to loose its properties after a 2 year period or so. 

43,500 miles which is low for a 5 year old, but way past due on both mileage and time, both impacting on the oil life to different degrees.

With that neglect Its to be expected that the camshaft Variable Valve Controls would be totally fouled up causing the reported error code.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

43,500 miles which is low for a 5 year old, but way past due on both mileage and time, both impacting on the oil life to different degrees.

With that neglect Its to be expected that the camshaft Variable Valve Controls would be totally fouled up causing the reported error code.

Thanks for the catch! I meant to say that's 4K miles per year, and that the oil should be changed because it is driven infrequently or simply sitting etc, Apologies for the confusion, I hit send before getting my complete thought out.

Edited by onyxbfly
typos
  • Like 2

So you guys recommend to, simply said, wash the engine with oil till the oil is clean. A few oil changes to clean the engine. 

I got about 162k on the edge, don't know if the car had an oil change before, because I bought it before 5 years. 

MOD Edit: Off-topic comments deleted - do a forum search.

Edited by 1004ron

On 5/24/2016 at 3:38 PM, macbwt said:

If you are having these issues the question is what is the condition of your oil and is it being changed on a regular basis. VVT do not like dirty oil or heavy viscosity oil. Also the plugs, when changed what miles are on them as this could be a precursor to the PCM failure. Are all cylinders firing or is there a regular miss on them or some? the plugs can miss up to a point before a misfire code is set also.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, CivicSi907 said:

I am still driving with that failure ?

Back in 2016 the above from @macbwt was the best advice you could receive, and I notice that your didn't respond to that, other than clicking the "ha ha" button.

• Like 1