Sync 3 Navigation Failure

2016 Sport. Four times the Navigation has had a failure. A failure message appears on the Nav screen and the screen goes blank. The only way I have found to remedy this problem is to do a system reset by holding the audio power button and the forward button (>>>) simultaneously for a few seconds. The system re-boots and the route is as normal.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Hello,

I have experienced some similar issues in the last few days with both the Navigation and the Bluetooth. I have a 2016 Edge SEL AWD w/ 201A and the Technology package.

1. Yesterday: I was navigating on a 75 minute drive and at about the half-way point, the navigation stopped and popped up with an error message, "Navigation Fault - Navigation is not functioning properly." You can click Close but if you try to go back to the Nav screen you get the same error. A little while later I took a call via Bluetooth. After a couple of minutes during the call, the Bluetooth audio dropped out mid-sentence and went to a single, low tone like digital sound stuck in a sound buffer loop (like when a computer crashes while playing audio). The only thing I could do was hang up the call. When they called back, it worked fine for the remainder of the call.

2. Two days ago: I was taking a long drive from NV back to CA (about 3.5 to 4 hours). I had my Bluetooth connected the whole time, but was not actively using it (no calls). When I was about 2/3 of the way back, I turned on the Nav for the rest of the way. After a short while, the small screen next to the speedometer mentioned the Nav was 'off route' -- when clicking over to the Nav screen on the Sync 3 display, on the left side there was the word 'GPS' with a strike through it. Then I noticed the Bluetooth was not functioning, it wouldn't connect to my phone or allow phone calls to pass through, and when I deleted the Bluetooth profile and tried to create a new profile, the Sync pairing would not show on my phone. I tried turning the vehicle and phone Bluetooth off and back on, no change. I also pulled over and turned the car off and then back on, still no change for the remainder of the drive.

I was not aware of the reboot procedure you spoke of but will try it next time, though I hope I don't have to. Looks like we need a software update.

James

Something going on. Maybe Microsoft did Sync 3 and we have to re-boot every so often just for the heck of it. :worship: I am sure it is some complicated code that needs the bugs worked out. The first time it happened to me I had just had my front windows tinted and was sure to use some non metallic material that was guaranteed NOT to interfere with GPS, Radio etc. (I used Suntek Cxp) I thought they may have used a different product. That said, it has been 2 months since that first incident and yesterday so something else must be going on. Let's see if we get more responses.

Something going on. Maybe Microsoft did Sync 3 and we have to re-boot every so often just for the heck of it. :worship:

For Sync 3 Ford dropped the Microsoft Auto operating system and switched to the Blackberry's QNX system. Did a google and haven't really seen a lot of problems with the new system.

Hi Everyone,

Davidceder is correct! If you experience some kind of glitch with SYNC 3, please try the SYNC module reset:

•Select radio.

•Hold the power button (center of the volume knob) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

The display will indicate when the module is resetting. You may then release the buttons.

Joy

Can we expect a fix/update for this after some time or are we just going to Reset the system over and over until the car is sold?

Why would you even ask a question like that? Of course they'll fix it but it takes time to identify the problem, fix it and test it. It's not happening to everybody.

That reboot sequence would have been really handy the first 2 years with MFT.

Yes it would have. And to think I was one of the few that reached out to a ford sync engineer & received the direct reboot app...just plug in to usb port & bam it did a reboot & remove... but then Ford had hissy fit & the engineer got the cease & desist order...then we had the delayed reboot app because we all saw how easy it was to just take it from the original sirius channel line up fix solution till Ford eventually pulled that one too.

Oh well ...at least the MFT/MLT was eventually stabilized...after many attempts

Can we expect a fix/update for this after some time or are we just going to Reset the system over and over until the car is sold?

Hi James Costa,

I would suggest that you take your vehicle to the Ford service center if you find that you have to reset the system frequently. Here is the dealer locator: http://owner.ford.com/dealer-locator.html

Joy

• 1 month later...

I've had a few issues with sync 3 where trying to use Siri causes my phone to not work. Acts like my phone is connected and will ring through speakers but if picked up call will go straight to phone, can't get it onto car system and it won't work again until car has been shut off and turned back on.

Has happened twice now, both times while either trying to access Siri or having used Siri two-three times and then it happening.

It is a dealer only upgrade.

I should add, don't ask me why only the dealer has access it. Doesn't make sense but that falls perfectly in line with everything else Ford does related to SYNC :)

Its one of the first things I did when I bought mine.

Edited by jmr061

I'm guessing they haven't done all of the testing necessary for self-installs with that version, or it's not completely ready for GA so they're making it available for folks who have had this problem so they can get navigation working again without waiting for the final release.

The 1.1 update is for all nav and non nav SYNC3 1.0 units. Unfortunately there are no release notes other than "This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience. This software contains all previous enhancements, so there is no need to install any other updates."