2.7EB Oil Catch Can / LMS Tune

Beezz

Has anyone been able to get their hands on an oil catch can for their Edge? I've seen many options for the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost, but none for the Edge.

Also a secondary question, I read somewhere on the forums that someone with a LMS tune no longer had that funky smell entering the cabin under hard accelerations, can anyone else confirm this?

Edited by Beezz

More like these:

http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-f150-billet-oil-catch-can-dual-valve-css-ecoboost-15.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/2015-F150-3-5L-EcoBoost-Catch-Cans.html

Guess I should have been more specific, its like an air/oil filter for the crankcase ventilation system to prevent oil/ blowby from going back into the engine

haven't seen anyone use one yet, big fan of them also. not he UPR, though...not a UPR supporter at all.

Also a secondary question, I read somewhere on the forums that someone with a LMS tune no longer had that funky smell entering the cabin under hard accelerations, can anyone else confirm this?

That was me.

I reflashed to stock the other day because I was getting a check engine (the DTC's were P0607 and U3000) on the 93 aggressive tune. Anywho, when I was on that tune, the sulfur smell had gone away. Now that I'm back to stock, it has returned. :shrug:

That was me.

I reflashed to stock the other day because I was getting a check engine (the DTC's were P0607 and U3000) on the 93 aggressive tune. Anywho, when I was on that tune, the sulfur smell had gone away. Now that I'm back to stock, it has returned. :shrug:

Strange that it smells like sulfur, according to this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a536/2423551/ and a few other sources, it could be too much fuel is being injected under the increased load. This does makes sense though because the pcm may be trying to keep temps lower by injecting more fuel. Strange how it only happens under hard accelerations(and not eased accelerations), tomorrow I'm going to see what the fuel trim is like when I'm giving it wide open throttle. If its super rich then the cat probably wont be working as it should, which could produce the smell. (http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm)

For me it doesn't smell a lot like sulfur, more like burning plastic, although I've never smelt sulfur.

Also after a spirited drive, the entire engine bay smells like burning plastic(similar to the odour inside the car), somewhat sweet smelling as well (hopefully not coolant)

I wonder what’s actually causing the smell, it has to be some sort of pcv/exhaust/vacuum line that's connected into or near the cabin air system, because when the hvac is off, the smell doesn't enter the cabin. Then again when the hvac is on, there is a 'vacuum' that's going into the car which could be sucking the smell in from the engine bay, but where the heck is the smell escaping from the engine! Or could it just be a plastic component that smells when it heats up. This is frustrating because it could literally be a hundred different things.

If I do buy a service manual I'm going to see what is connected to the cabin air system, or whats near the intake for it.

Maybe we could ask LMS what exactly they are doing with the fuel injection in their tune? It could lead us somewhere.

Anyways, back to pretending like the smell is just something that we pass by on the road :sneaking:

• Like 1

All good questions. From what I have heard, Ford uses richer fuel mixtures at WOT than the tuner (in this case LME) does. Probably why you can gain mpg even when tuned. Even so, the mystery remains. Could be something to do with having a bellypan & that trapping heat/odors. Don't know if the bellypans are made of "eco friendly" materials, like soy-based plastics.

• Like 1

My explanation as of now (feel free to add your opinion):

High throttle input = more fuel being injected, but when in a higher gear(3-6), engine rpm low = not a lot of airflow into the engine....Transmission doesn't shift quick enough, rpm doesn't go up enough, resulting in not enough air in the combustion chamber, causing too much un-burnt fuel to enter the cat, causing a funky smell.

Hence why under the aggressive shift tune the smell is gone, the transmission is shifting much quicker under throttle inputs, air flow is increased much quicker, causing less richness if the a/f mix.

Recorded a bunch of stats today, over the course of 3 hours, was able to replicate the smell under certain conditions each time.

March 2017: Smell's been back a few times.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 2

This problem has been showing up on (at least for Ford) vehicles built over the last 10 years, so it's not just a PFI vs DI argument. Seems like a design/materials issue to me, if all the parts are connected & sealed properly.

After a quick google, it seems like a lot of other manufacturers are also having the same type of issue.

Someone better figure it out :gaah:

Edited by Beezz

• 6 months later...

I'm a new Sport owner, and was tempted to go with the 3.5L V6 because of concerns with boosted direct injection engines intake fouling.

This thread has been very quiet and a search revealed only this thread, so does that mean owners aren't experiencing this problem - keen to hear feedback before buying one of these UPR kits.

The fouling is a gradual problem in Ford's case, and has been touted as the least severe of any of the auto mfrs worldwide. Also, depending on platform, the problem may be statistically minimal. In the case of the F150, the catch can setup is highly recommended. Whereas in the case of the SHO, very very few cases of a catch can being needed have emerged, especially since the valve cover redesign in 2013. Best way to know if you have an issue with your vehicle is to periodically inspect the turbo piping and the intercooler for pooling oil. A misting is normal, pooling is not.

• Like 1

The fouling is a gradual problem in Ford's case, and has been touted as the least severe of any of the auto mfrs worldwide. Also, depending on platform, the problem may be statistically minimal. In the case of the F150, the catch can setup is highly recommended. Whereas in the case of the SHO, very very few cases of a catch can being needed have emerged, especially since the valve cover redesign in 2013. Best way to know if you have an issue with your vehicle is to periodically inspect the turbo piping and the intercooler for pooling oil. A misting is normal, pooling is not.

Thanks, that's good news.

At each service I'll do the checks that you suggest, and any sign of oil pooling I'll install one of those catch cans.

• Like 1

It's called coking & seems to be a problem with most ecoboost's due to direct injection. As stated above, it's a common issue with direct injection period as gasoline doesn't clean the valves anymore when fuel is injected directly into combustion chamber & not through the intake manifold.

Check out my post about adding a catch can to a 2.0 Ecoboost:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22063-oil-catch-can-on-the-20l-ecoboost/

You also might want to look at this to get a better understanding of ecoboost's & blowby:

http://teamrxp.com/p/instructions

I checked my catch can with about 70 or so miles with the catch can on & it gave me 3 or 4 drops of yellowish oil like liquid. I now have close to 500 miles with the catch can & very curious to see how much crap is in there now.

A catch can on ANY forced induction vehicle is a must in my opinion.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 3

Here's what my Catch Can has caught in 400+ miles on my 2.0 Ecoboost. Well worth the investment to not have this being regurgitated back into the engine. We usually don't beat on the car & usually city/country roads with very little highway & full synthetic oil since around 2,000 miles. Currently around 12,500 miles.

post-41964-0-01931700-1488418606_thumb.jpg

post-41964-0-24792200-1488418627_thumb.jpg

I'm a new Sport owner, and was tempted to go with the 3.5L V6 because of concerns with boosted direct injection engines intake fouling.

This thread has been very quiet and a search revealed only this thread, so does that mean owners aren't experiencing this problem - keen to hear feedback before buying one of these UPR kits.

I will say that I have buildup on the intake tract and the pcv connections have dripped when removed, my map sensor was coated aswell. I also noticed that my engine is burning / using a significant amount of oil every 5000 kms.

I've been talking with LMS about getting one of the UPR kits installed and I'm putting down a deposit for the project tomorrow, hopefully to have it installed and setup by the end of May.

I will say that I have buildup on the intake tract and the pcv connections have dripped when removed, my map sensor was coated aswell. I also noticed that my engine is burning / using a significant amount of oil every 5000 kms.

I've been talking with LMS about getting one of the UPR kits installed and I'm putting down a deposit for the project tomorrow, hopefully to have it installed and setup by the end of May.

Deposit? They developing a kit specifically for our setup, or do they already have one? Pricing?

& here i thought that paying $365 for a catch can was high. Just at a glance, it looks like a decent kit, but 20-30 install time seems a little far fetched.

Oh believe me when I saw the estimate I choked. I asked if we could use the other kits available but they said they've had problems with them in the past. It does seem like a good kit, the hoses probably will have to be modified and the only parts that are useful are the connectors and cans themselves.

After they do that, are they then going to sell a kit, the rest of us can buy?

I will ask them

Update March 10th, what I was told on the phone "it won't be a one day deal, we need time to engineer it properly". I can assume that if they want to 'engineer' the kit to fit, they intend on selling one afterwards for others to use.

I sent them a message a few days ago asking if they had a kit for the Edge, and still waiting for a reply - that reflects poorly on a manufacturer and supplier.

They don't have a kit for the Edge, no one does for the 2.7 Edge. They are super busy, when I first contacted them they were booking into April. Im going to be booked in for May (due to my own schedule)

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1