Invoice price

This may be more accurate than Edmunds since I think they have a "deal" (just like Truecar) as they get a certain dollar amount for cars sold through their service:

Ā 

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm

Ā 

Scroll down until you find the: Fighting Chance package.

Ā 

Truecar and Edmunds "invoice" pricing isn't necessarily accurate as they generally don't list any of the special dealer incentives/holdbacks.

Ā 

In fact, you'll see that a lot of times, Truecar's "price" is actually well below the "invoice" price, mainly because of their "invoice" pricing not having all the discounts.

Ā 

Although in all honesty I have no knowledge about the Fighting Chance stuff yet. I'll be doing that around end of October and we'll see what it shows, but by then it'll be 2017 Ford Edge model year for me.

Ā 

Good luck!!! Hope you get a sweet deal!

That wasn't the question though. Dealer invoice is still dealer invoice. Of course it doesn't include holdback (typically 3%). Dealer incentives vary and are not generally published, although Edmunds does usually show them.

Ā 

You can get vehicles below dealer invoice (not counting normal rebates) but invoice to invoice + $500 is more typical depending on the vehicle and supply/demand. Plus the ever-popular "Documentation Fee" otherwise known as Additional Dealer Profit.

Also when looking at actual transaction prices you have to take into account the games they play with trade-ins. I can sell you the new vehicle for $1K below invoice if I give you $2K below wholesale for your trade-in. And vice versa. Very hard to get accurate prices when there is a trade-in.

So not taking a trade into account, what is the "best deal" one can expect to get? I don't trust invoice prices printed on the internet, dealers would have a fit if the actual price they were paying was posted for everyone to see. The invoice price for the car I want is $40131, but the truecar price is something around $38k. There is no way a dealer would take a $2k loss on a vehicle via truecar.

I think A and Z plan are 4% below dealer invoice. The dealer gets a spiff check from Ford to make it profitable.

Ā 

X plan used to be slightly below invoice but now it's around $150 over invoice, give or take $50.

To give you a good feel for A-Z plan pricing my 2016 Edge Ti sticker price was $44,850. The plan price was $40,150.

So not taking a trade into account, what is the "best deal" one can expect to get? I don't trust invoice prices printed on the internet, dealers would have a fit if the actual price they were paying was posted for everyone to see. The invoice price for the car I want is $40131, but the truecar price is something around $38k. There is no way a dealer would take a $2k loss on a vehicle via truecar.

It all depends really as someone else mentioned I guess you can't take z plan as a actual number as ford pays them back a bit for the lower price. If trucar says people are buying at that price it wouldn't hurt trying to get someone to honor that deal. It may also be your vehicle has an extra package like utility or the vista roof. I don't believe you can add those types of options while searching trucar. Which would add about 2k to your price?

Ā 

Either way good luck!

It all depends really as someone else mentioned I guess you can't take z plan as a actual number as ford pays them back a bit for the lower price. If trucar says people are buying at that price it wouldn't hurt trying to get someone to honor that deal. It may also be your vehicle has an extra package like utility or the vista roof. I don't believe you can add those types of options while searching trucar. Which would add about 2k to your price?

Ā 

Either way good luck!

Ā 

Nope, Truecar lets you add everything on, at least when using the consumer reports portal. If I was smart, I'd post the PDF of the pricing here, but I'm not smart.

Ā 

I'm hoping the recent poor car sales report will help me negotiate, and hopefully the car I have my eye on will still be around at the end of the month.

Ā 

Oh trust me - the dealer invoice prices on the internet are accurate for the individual items, they just don't include the advertising fee. The dealers get an additional 3% "rebate" from Ford - this is called holdback. So on a $40K invoice the dealer only pays $38,800 net. There are also other bonuses and incentives for the dealers that aren't published.

Ā 

The truecar price would also take into account any incentives. So you could buy a $40K invoice vehicle with a $1K rebate for $38K and the dealer would still be making a profit.

Ā 

And that's not taking into account the documentation fee. If the dealer is charging a $600 doc fee then that's pure profit. It changes a $100 below invoice price to $500 over invoice.

Ā 

And again - you can't trust what others are paying because you don't know their trade-in. If your trade-in is really worth $10K but I only give you $8K, I could sell the new vehicle for $1500 below invoice and still make $500 plus the doc fee plus the holdback.

Ā 

Only a few dealers will actually sell below invoice - most will be at invoice up to $500 over invoice plus a small doc fee.

Ā 

The nice thing about X plan is the price is the same at every dealer and they limit the doc fee to $100. It's about $150 above invoice but you don't have to even think of haggling. You just figure out the vehicle you want, find it in stock or order it and the only thing to haggle about is the trade-in.

Google X plan pricing it's so widely available in sure you'll find info in it... Large employers usually offer "X" if they have some sort of discounts page for employees, it's basically the friend of a friend discount.

Ā 

A/z is ford employee and retirees respectively

D is a dealer is your employer pricing.

Ā 

When you request this pricing they ask for a pin and the invoice will list all three of them out at the bottom.

Ā 

For my edge D plan was literally $100 more than A/Z. I believe "X" was about $1750 more. Doc fee with A/Z is a set fee of $75

• 2 months later...

wow those are some high prices. I think I got a good deal!

Ā 

Purchased a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium Ecoboost for well under what you guys list.

Ā 

Mine is a basic model though 19" wheels, no panoramic (don't want that headache), but everything else I wanted. Heated seats, leather, nav, alarm, etc.

Ā 

I purchased through TrueCar and wow what an easy deal. I checked with another dealer and told him my price and they let me walk out the door since they could not even match the deal! Also everyone else was at least 5k higher for the SEL!

True there were tons of incentives when I purchased mine.

Ā 

Also if some are talking invoice as MSRP that's not invoice that's Manufactures "Suggested" Retail Price.

A car selling for 40k is easily invoiced at 30k after manf. incentives, dealer incentives, kickbacks, rebates, etc. More so in September and October and for those lucky few who find the 2016 new after the 2017's are in I would figure get the cars for next to nothing.

Ā 

Even at the TrueCar price they can typically be 1000 to 1500 over actual invoice but if all dealers sold at cost then there would be no dealers left.

Though maybe I am stating to obvious.

Ā 

I honestly never believed in the fixed pricing places, Carmax is always way overpriced in my book. Even the rental car sales places had 2015 Edges that had 35,000 plus miles and were selling for more money than what I purchase my 2016 Titanium for with only 16.5 miles on it. For me the deal was a no brainer. I took my TrueCar price and brought it to a non-TrueCar dealer and they said they absolutely could not get me that car for that price and let me walk. They even proceeded to tell me that TrueCar was not for real and I would never get that deal. Well story is I went to the dealer and got that deal.

Edited by haedgy

And then there is the California price...haha. joking.

Ā 

Honestly invoice will vary from dealer to dealer. A dealer who sells 10 Edges as opposed to a dealer sells 30 Edges a month will get a lower invoice price. The dealer was the one who told me that. He said we are a volume dealer and I know they are they sold 3 Mustangs, 1 Explorer, and 1 Focus while I was there.

Ā 

I learned something from a friend of mine a long time ago. If you want to know if you got a good deal you should not have paid more than the MSRP out the door. I still hold that true today.

Ā 

So basically as I mentioned above. The current incentives were $4.5k add another $4k to $5k on to that and you're at around $9.5k less than MSRP. Maybe I should restate that the "actual dealer cost" can be $10k less than MSRP. (or MS-"RIP")

Ā 

For me I think timing of my purchase was a big factor.

Actually, that invoice and MSRP price differential is around $1200-2000 depending on which Edge you buy. Of course that is not factoring in the holdback as well as dealer cash that is not available to the public unless the dealer wants to share it with you. The invoice on my fully loaded 2016 Sport was around $2055 or so less than MSRP which was somewhere in the $47's. Even when I ordered a 2012 Lincoln MKT for fleet use a while back, the invoice was still less than $3k under MSRP.

• Like 1

Yes - I think Ford has shrunk the difference between invoice and MSRP the last few years so that's probably right.

Ā 

But just to clarify - those extra dealer rebates and hold backs change the dealer cost but not the actual dealer invoice. That is the same for all dealers in the same area. The local advertising fees can vary region to region though.n

• Like 1

Yes - I think Ford has shrunk the difference between invoice and MSRP the last few years so that's probably right.

But just to clarify - those extra dealer rebates and hold backs change the dealer cost but not the actual dealer invoice. That is the same for all dealers in the same area. The local advertising fees can vary region to region though.n

Yes, they shrunk several years ago. Previously, they used to be pretty big back in the older days.

• 1 month later...