Adaptive steering fault

The dealer did replace my steering wheel a few weeks ago with the updated part. This appears to be the fix as I have had no further errors. Besides the annoying warning light, the error actually did disable adaptive steering, which has kind of grown on me over time - like fungus.

• Like 1

The dealer did replace my steering wheel a few weeks ago with the updated part. This appears to be the fix as I have had no further errors. Besides the annoying warning light, the error actually did disable adaptive steering, which has kind of grown on me over time - like fungus.

Do you or anyone know by looking at the service ticket if there was anything more done besides the installation of the wheel? Was there any additional computer reprogramming or anything like that? Im looking to see if this is a job that I can do myself. Thanks in advance!!!

• 2 months later...

I have this issue now on my 2016 Edge Titanium.

Quick questions :

1) Is this issue fixed under warranty ?

2) Is there anything I can say to the dealer so they go straight to replacement of the steering wheel and not waste time with other "solutions" ?

Is my life at risk by driving the car with this issue ?

Man site is loading slow for me tonight, @luxpow it should be free as it's a tsb but I forget which one. Do you have a code atm in your engineering mode? http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21044-adaptive-steering-fault/page-21?do=findComment&comment=169161

To turn the mode off just turn off the car.

Is your adaptive steering now just like full lock steering or does it spin all the way around more then 720 degrees? Mine was safe to drive with and I did for a month as they were getting the part in but some others had it worse where it be very odd angles while going straight.

Malcolm

Edited by rvcjew

Quick questions :

2) Is there anything I can say to the dealer so they go straight to replacement of the steering wheel and not waste time with other "solutions" ?

1.) It was for me and it should be for you. It is a TSB in the computer and your dealership ought to pick that up.

2.) You shouldn't need to if they find the TSB replacement of the part is the solution.

I never felt that it was a danger driving the car with the error - it was annoying to have the error in the first place, but all that happened in my case was that adaptive steering was turned off.

Quick questions :

I remember we bought our cars at the same time from the same dealer.

My whole steering wheel has been replaced by the dealer

Edited by t0lkman

• 4 weeks later...

I got it repaired finally. They replaced the steering wheel column as expected.

But I have no recollection of how light/heavy the adaptive steering is supposed to feel.

Is there a definite way to verify the adaptive steering still works ? The menu entries do exist still.

Edited by luxpow
  • Like 1

I got it repaired finally. They replaced the steering wheel column as expected.

But I have no recollection of how light/heavy the adaptive steering is supposed to feel.

Is there a definite way to verify the adaptive steering still works ? The menu entries do exist still.

The adaptive steering is about changing the steering ratio, not effort. To check its operation, my own test, check while parked how many turns the steering wheel takes from lock to lock (extreme left to extreme right, or the other way), with the adaptive steering it is approximately 2 turns. Normal vehicle without adaptive steering require 2.5 to 3 turns.

• Like 4

The adaptive steering is about changing the steering ratio, not effort. To check its operation, my own test, check while parked how many turns the steering wheel takes from lock to lock (extreme left to extreme right, or the other way), with the adaptive steering it is approximately 2 turns. Normal vehicle without adaptive steering require 2.5 to 3 turns.

Sport mode is stiffer then normal though. When it's off yeah the wheel feels like it's very much disengaged. For me it was 3.5 turns and super light feeling (one finger rotation) when it was replaced (wheel) but not programmed.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

2016 Edge Sport, 11,000 miles. Received the Adaptive Steering fault message as well. Two weeks at the dealership so far and they cannot locate a steering wheel column. Also saying the received a notification from Ford that the air bag assembly has to be replaced as well. Isn’t that part of the steering wheel column?

• 4 months later...

Anyone notice any consistency when the warning light comes on?  I've had the steering wheel go off center - took it in. Dealer said I must have hit something even though it drove perfectly straight and did an alignment.  Few months later adaptive warning light came on but went away after turning off the car.  Took it to dealer they didn't find any codes but I did have a picture of the warning light. They couldn't do anything without a code.

After 2 years since my first post on this subject (Jan 16 2017),  I just had the steering wheel replaced today! Repeated visits over the 2 years resulted  in no action even with the TSB in hand. The AS warning now was going off every time I drove the car; turning out of my driveway; going straight down the road; even with the motor off but electrical on, I could activate the warning by just slightly turning the steering wheel (without the power steering even engaged). Now, when I wen to the dealer he "magically" stated you need a new steering wheel !!  So that was done today and it seems to be fine , HOWEVER, when I went to the "adaptive steering mode" (in the driver assist menu) it no longer lets me choose between 'regular' (normal) and 'sport'. Is that what happens with the new steering wheel or did they just disable the feature and maybe not really replace the wheel? Any comments?

10 minutes ago, DLink said:

After 2 years since my first post on this subject (Jan 16 2017),  I just had the steering wheel replaced today! Repeated visits over the 2 years resulted  in no action even with the TSB in hand. The AS warning now was going off every time I drove the car; turning out of my driveway; going straight down the road; even with the motor off but electrical on, I could activate the warning by just slightly turning the steering wheel (without the power steering even engaged). Now, when I wen to the dealer he "magically" stated you need a new steering wheel !!  So that was done today and it seems to be fine , HOWEVER, when I went to the "adaptive steering mode" (in the driver assist menu) it no longer lets me choose between 'regular' (normal) and 'sport'. Is that what happens with the new steering wheel or did they just disable the feature and maybe not really replace the wheel? Any comments?

Sounds like they forgot to do the programming portion that is required when it is replaced.

Edited by jmr061

I'm also experiencing the ADAPTIVE STEERING FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED warning light.  It first started at 48,000 miles.  When it happens the steering wheel points to the left at 9 o'clock when the wheels are straight.  I brought it to my local dealer.  The tech couldn't find any problems or error codes on the onboard diagnostics.  It's been occurring intermittently for the past 4 month. About once every 5 weeks.   I brought it to the second dealership.  They recommend I replace the SECM, the entire steering wheel at a cost of $1729.  Has anyone has this problem successfully fixed?  If so, was it covered by the warranty or did you have to pay our of packet?>

IMG_2650.jpg

52 minutes ago, bamack said:

I'm also experiencing the ADAPTIVE STEERING FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED warning light.  It first started at 48,000 miles.  When it happens the steering wheel points to the left at 9 o'clock when the wheels are straight.  I brought it to my local dealer.  The tech couldn't find any problems or error codes on the onboard diagnostics.  It's been occurring intermittently for the past 4 month. About once every 5 weeks.   I brought it to the second dealership.  They recommend I replace the SECM, the entire steering wheel at a cost of $1729.  Has anyone has this problem successfully fixed?  If so, was it covered by the warranty or did you have to pay our of packet?>

IMG_2650.jpg

Most of the people in this thread had this issue and got it fixed under warranty. Atleast I did. Its been working fine since repair.