Intercooler - Sport

Nick Halstead

I have been emailing every company that makes parts to lower IATs. Mishimoto was the only one to get around to responding (if a company makes an intercooler, they got an email from me!). My question is, as I'm trying to stay one step ahead. I am in Hawaii and it's impossible for me to give them my car for some R&D. Anyone near Wilmington, Delaware that could spare their car for the greater good of all 2.7s??? lol

Now that the 2017 Fusion Sport has been released, perhaps there will be an uptick in aftermarket interest.

EDIT: CP-E in Beltsville, MD might also make one for the Edge Sport, again, someone would have to lend their vehicle for R&D ...

I emailed them once a month for like the past 6 months. Never got a response. I really want an exhale kit by them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not revive an dead thread here but I have an 2016 Edge sport with in 2 hours of Wilmington, DE. @Nick Halstead, if this is still a possibility I'm all down for making the trip for R&D. I know the f-150 2.7L ecoboost benefited greatly from an intercooler upgrade so why wouldn't ours?

Count me in as interested and R&D available within reasonable distance i.e. 2 hrs+/-.

As long as someone works out the logistics and provides me the POC I'll entertain and if properly coordinated support!

FYI, Special K & I are in the engineering field...;-)

I couldn't get any biters here or on FB, buy all means feel free to contact them and see if you can set something up. I know CPE is working on a fusion sport Intercooler, but looking at diagrams, the Edge/Fusion Sport Intercoolers appear to be different, I assume because of the front chassis set up

• 3 weeks later...

For those of us interested in after market performance MODs for the 2016 Edge Sport, and all years that apply, we must keep this thread/interest going or it won't happen in a reasonable time frame.... :cry:

Case in point, we've (Special K & I) completed the custom tuning using Unleashed Tuning for 87 & 93 Octane however, we cannot continue with E30 tuning until our first performance choke point, high Charge Air Intake (CAI) Temps are resolved.... :banghead:

It appears that the stock Intercooler is fine for stock applications however, once performance MODs are made, it pushes past the Intercoolers cooling capacity which allows a sudden Temp climb because it's basically a single turbo Intercooler... :hammer_self:

Therefore, per Nick's and Special K's dialogue in this string we need to combine & exhaust all resources with the resources of this interest group... :soapbox:

On that note we need the following support to make this happen:... :hat_tip:

- Special K to push forward with coordinating an R&D opportunity with CP-E in Beltsville, MD.

- Nick Halstead to push forward with coordinating an R&D opportunity with Mishimoto in Wilmington, DE.

- SNMJim to provide & schedule R&D platform once supporting company has been identified.

SUPPORT REQUESTs:... :detective:

- Does anyone have a spare applicable (2015-2017 for 2.7) intercooler to loan for R&D?
This would allow us to ship the sample to the company for the initial R&D.

Of course we'd take full responsibility for returning it in the condition received.

- Looking for anyone that has or who will be pulling off their front clip any time soon to please provide detailed Pics with measurements included in the Pics.

If the Pics are done correctly, to the level of detail engineering can use i.e. measurements taken from all point, we could initiate the R&D process and reduce the
amount of time a company would require the vehicle.

Standing by for responses from members devoted to the cause... :superhero::salute::ford:

• Like 4

I'd just like to chime in here on one thing. You could run another five pounds of boost and have no trouble with the OE IC as long as you help the breathing at both ends. Now if you were running a full day of track time, different story.

That said, when my factory warranty is gone I'll be looking like you are now, and appreciating the leg work y'all are doing for us down the roaders. Subscribed.

• Like 1

The intercooler looks to be pretty cheap, so at worst we could pool funds to get a brand new unmolested one

F2GZ-6K775-A Inter-Cooler

EDGE; 2.7L

$145.40

$100.33

I looked up car-part.com but JYs seem to want almost as much for used units.

You will also find that AJPTurbo (EBPF forum) has done quite a bit of tuning with higherE fueled vehicles, up to E45 in the SHO, and would be a good resource for tuning if we needed him.

Anyone tried running the Edge without the appearance cover in place?

gjb89 wrote:

Spoke to Ron Miller at CP-E and asked if they had any plans for offering an IC for the edge and he said

"We do not plan to make them. But if I could get 50 preorders I would make a batch."

Price - Still up in the air. He said it would be similar to the fusion which is listed as $449

So let's create a feeler. Add your username if you would preorder one.

1.gjb89

2.always on edge

3.snmjim

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

Latest CP-E Update:

Per Kelly Saquin (CP-E Rep):

I spoke with our R&D engineer. We won’t be designing parts specific to the Edge Sport, but we can test fit the parts that we release for the Fusion Sport. We can keep your information and contact you when products are released. We are expecting the release our Rear Motor Mount in the next few weeks.

I will have our R&D Engineer reach out for test fits.

• Like 1

I think it's time for me to jump on the machine and start designing a system for this engine. With the amount of people we have here we can Def mock up one for our Edge with parts already out there, all we would need is an adapter bracket.

I'm going to be installing a hitch, lowering spring, and air bags this weekend. Let me see how the layout is for the IC and air filter and get back to yall.

Edited by SJCabose
  • Like 2