2008explorer

Tail light Condesation

I just washed my Edge today for the 2nd time [2 weeks old]. I noticed quite a bit of condensation on the inside of the tail light lenses, this doesn't seem like a good thing to me. Has anyone else noticed this ? I did see quite a few comments about this in another forum. Has Ford offered to do anything to fix this problem ?

I may have answered my own question. I just looked in my Owners Manual on page 79, it mentions that very thing about condensation in exterior lamps. They claim that condensation is a natural occurrence, according to Ford a fine mist is acceptable. It's only when there is a puddle inside or there are streaks, drip marks or large droplets that they will then check it out. It seems that they already knew of this problem and went ahead and put a disclaimer in the manual, way to go Ford. I traded in a 2008 Explorer that never did any such thing. My wife has a 2010 Escape that also is condensation free. I can't remember any of my previous vehicles ever doing this. Yet Ford is saying this is a natural thing to have happen. I'm not feeling the love for Ford right now.

Edited by 2008explorer
  • Like 1

They're replacing the taillamp assemblies.

Is this a recall? Where's that info from I haven't noticed any on mine or heard about this

Not a recall, just a warranty replacement and a common problem on early build 2015s.

Some condensation that goes away quickly is normal but in some cases it's excessive and requires a replacement.

Ok, I was unaware, having a 16 could also be why I don't have an issue. Regardless thanks for info

Tjm623, I also have a 2016, I'm the one that started this post, so you may yet see that condensation after washing ??

I was just driving behind an SEL (presumably a 2015) and the light bar portion of the tail lights was FULLY fogged up. The side parts of the tail lights didn't seem to have the problem. Wow I'll have to keep an eye on this, because I had a 2013 Subaru BRZ and tail light condensation was a HUGE problem with that vehicle (and they too had a disclaimer that it was a natural occurrence - yeah well many owners had huge puddles in their lights).

If you have a 2016 like I do, all the info about this problem is on page 79 of your owners manual, Ford has a way with words about this natural occurrence ?

If you have a 2016 like I do, all the info about this problem is on page 79 of your owners manual, Ford has a way with words about this natural occurrence ?

I do have a 16, and have seen the manual. However I don't have this issue. It rained hard here today for 3 hours straight, when I left work I checked. Couldn't see a drop inside or any condensation(it had stopped raining that time). I've also never noticed it after doing a power wash type self wash station and drying car off after.

• Like 1

Mine usually fogs up a bit with temperature changes. If it is hot out and I wash it the light bar and tails will have some fogginess on the inside of the lenses... likewise during winter the exhaust will cause the tails to fog up if it idles long enough. Warm exhaust + chilly outside temp will result in foggy tails until they warm up.

No condensation either, at least I haven't noticed it.

One thing I can't stand is the lip on the trunk or spoiler I guess. It is impossible to wipe that window dry. Every time I think I have and boom another drip right down my clean window. It holds so much water

I have a new 2016 took in home from the dealer and the next morning both outside tail lights had condensation in them!

I live in Canada and it does get cold at night.

No other lights just the two outside ones. (if the back door is open the two light that you see)

I took photos and sent them to the dealer. They told me that when it gets bad, like water in them then and only then they can do something about it.

They said it was normal? ( why only those lights and not the rest?

So, now I to watch my tail lights if I want them replaced.

2016 Edge SEL AWD V6 Magnetic Metallic

Some condensation is normal but it should go away fairly quickly. If it stays all day or multiple days then it's a problem.

I have a 2016 and had condensation right out of the gate- not pooling-just condensation. I told them to replace the light under NO uncertain circumstances. They said it happens the odd time and it WAS promptly replaced. I would NOT settle for anything else. There is an O ring that seals the outside environment from the inside environment. Your O ring has failed. Tell them to replace it. There should not be anything in there other than air. Insist they replace it. Anything less is just unacceptable!

• Like 2

Restaurants used to hang signs over coat racks that they were not responsible for personal property. My mother's coat was stolen from a rack in the 80's. The lawyer told my dad that just because they hang a sign doesn't make them less responsible. I'm going to hang a sign on my front bumper that says I'm not responsible for running you over.

I was once the proud owner of a 1970 Jaguar XJ6. I was told by the dealer that using 2 quarts of oil for a fill up (both tanks) was normal oil consumption. It seems that he was telling the truth. It still doesn't make it right!! I sold that POS in less than one year of ownership. :wub: My rant is over.

• Like 1

I laugh at those signs on the back of trucks that say not responsible for debris falling from their truck. My wife fell for it until I explained it to her.

• Like 2

taking my edge in for the 5th time next thursday to replace water in tail lights we'll see what happens.

When I first took home my 2016 Fod Edge Sport December of 2016 I noticed that after heavy rain condensation would accumulate in the drivers side rear brake light. Upon visiting the dealer I was told I had to come in when I noticed it despite having pictures of it from various times.

I work nights so it's hard to get to the dealership when it's an issue with something they have to see in person due to the service department not usually opening up until several hours after I get home in the mornings.

This will be something I visit the dealership for to have replaced if I notice it again. Lately it hasn't been an issue?

post-48540-0-93089500-1508456653_thumb.jpg

post-48540-0-58552500-1508456843_thumb.jpg

Edited by GenEDGE

Will have to upload a pic of the dealer notes when I get home.

My claim was DENIED. They claim there's exterior damage to the lense (what looks like a cat tried to jump up on the car scratched the lense slightly). Asked what I'll have to do to actually get it replaced and asked if I would have to call a Ford rep. Was told that they would be willing to look at it a a later time and see if they could reseal the unit or something.

Also was told by the manager that he's seen a few other units with the same condensation issue.

Smh....what do you think guys??

Edited by GenEDGE

Will have to upload a pic of the dealer notes when I get home.

My claim was DENIED. They claim there's exterior damage to the lense (what looks like a cat tried to jump up on the car scratched the lense slightly). Asked what I'll have to do to actually get it replaced and asked if I would have to call a Ford rep. Was told that they would be willing to look at it a a later time and see if they could reseal the unit or something.

Also was told by the manager that he's seen a few other units with the same condensation issue.

Smh....what do you think guys??

The owners manual starts the lighting chapter by addressing condensation.

"Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure." (This is on page 85 in the 2017 manual).

They go.on to say "Examples of acceptable condensation are:

The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).

A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens."

Based on the pictures you uploaded, I would say your lenses don't exceed the Ford requirement for replacment.

If the scratch goes deep enough to penetrate all the way through the plastic (no cat is going to scratch all the way through the plastic), you could reseal it with some clear fingernail polish or brush applied topcoat.

Under normal conditions, warm, moist air enters the lens through the vent hole in the lens, and condenses in the cool night air.

If you want to get ahead of this, you could get the water vapor out (hair dryer?) and close the vent with a piece of heavy, plastic sealing tape.

Edited by enigma-2

I too have had condensation/water droplet build up in my rear tail lights of my 2016 Ford Edge. I first noticed it while out of town and immediately went to my home Ford dealership on my return. Of course, the condensation was gone by the time I got back a week later, The service department told me they had to actually see it before they could do anything about it. Well, the next time it happened, I was out of town so I took pictures. Again, on my return I went back to dealership and one of the lights still had the water droplets in there, I was told that Ford considered it normal and probably wouldn't do anything about it? SMH. But, they would send in some pictures to see if Ford warranty department would approve fixing it. I don't find the water/condensation build up "normal" at all. I have NEVER seen it on any other make/model vehicle. This is my first new Ford I have ever bought in my life and really enjoy the Ford Edge. But if this doesn't get resolved, I would not purchase another Ford just based on the customer service department not honoring an obvious flaw in the design of their product. I see problems arising from condensation/water buildup. It also cosmetically looks really bad.

Edited by Gail Hicks
  • Like 2

Cornelius24- where are these o rings located and do you have a part number and any related info from the invoice?

Does anyone know why these LED lights need to be vented? As others have said this seems like an issue of quality, for many years manufacturers have been able to seal the lenses properly. The design of the lighting on modern vehicles plays into the body lines and is probably a factor for some to choose a vehicle over another, making this a highly visible quality issue. Also the lighting is actually a safety device so if this condensation eventually causes failures this should certainly qualify as a recall by NTSB.

• Like 1

I owned a commercial truck for a while and if I installed a bunch of lights on it- they all need to work or chance failing a roadside inspection.

Lighting is for safety and even if it was decorative, the code says all lights must function. It does not mention decorative lighting.

Same should apply to the car manufacturers- if they put it on the vehicle- it should reliably function for the life of the vehicle-

• Like 1