SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Ok it is time to spill the beans...I spent about 12 hours today messing with this stuff today.

Ford had ditched V1.1 a couple weeks ago on the dealer side but it was back this morning after the weekly Saturday night downtime. I decided to check different vehicle lines and found that some 16 Lincoln's with V1 were eligible for V2.2 upgrade on the dealer side. I did "legitimate" dealer upgrades on the bench to one nav and one non-nav unit. The NAV unit went flawless. A beautiful upgrade. I saved the USB upgrade for this.

Then I did the Non-Nav. Failure....it ran out of "space" for the update. For those that don't know the non-nav units have an 8MB daughter board inside and the NAV units have 32 MB daughter boards in them. So figuring that the update applications and existing applications together were taking up too much room I split the non-nav update in half. Messy but it gets the job done. I tested this on 3 bench units successfully.

The non-nav update will only work on 16 models (V1 and 1.1). It fails on 17s that came with V2.0. I suspect the memory structure is different in the 17 non navs than the 16 non navs. I will probably take one apart and see what size is on the daughter board.

The nav update works on 16 and 17 nav units (1.0,1.1,2.0,2.1).

BTW I checked the owner site for those same Lincolns and no dice on a download there.

• Like 4

THANKS for the work on this!

Guys, I will have it installed today. JMR and I got crossed on what file I needed, so downloading the file I actually need right now. With his permission, I will also post it on a faster download location and publish. I have NAV. But since I already downloaded the Non-Nav, I can put it in a few locations for download that will be faster. I have options, personal server, Amazon, and Google. Have practically unlimited space on all.

I will see if I notice any non AA/CP changes. I have the USB hub on order. Should have it later this week, hopefully get it installed this weekend so I can play with CP.

:hat_tip:

Ok it is time to spill the beans...I spent about 12 hours today messing with this stuff today.

Ford had ditched V1.1 a couple weeks ago on the dealer side but it was back this morning after the weekly Saturday night downtime. I decided to check different vehicle lines and found that some 16 Lincoln's with V1 were eligible for V2.2 upgrade on the dealer side. I did "legitimate" dealer upgrades on the bench to one nav and one non-nav unit. The NAV unit went flawless. A beautiful upgrade. I saved the USB upgrade for this.

Then I did the Non-Nav. Failure....it ran out of "space" for the update. For those that don't know the non-nav units have an 8MB daughter board inside and the NAV units have 32 MB daughter boards in them. So figuring that the update applications and existing applications together were taking up too much room I split the non-nav update in half. Messy but it gets the job done. I tested this on 3 bench units successfully.

The non-nav update will only work on 16 models (V1 and 1.1). It fails on 17s that came with V2.0. I suspect the memory structure is different in the 17 non navs than the 16 non navs. I will probably take one apart and see what size is on the daughter board.

The nav update works on 16 and 17 nav units (1.0,1.1,2.0,2.1).

BTW I checked the owner site for those same Lincolns and no dice on a download there.

• Like 5

First impressions, voice command is more responsive and the voice has changed. It doesn't go on and on any more when you mess up the command.

Update went great. Put the drive in when I was leaving work, because I have a 30 minute commute. About 20-25 in said it was done. Next Car restart in the driveway it finished.

Took a bit for it to load the Map after, then all good.

• Like 2

I wanted to get something written up for those Edge Owners to have some quick reference to.

SYNC 3

Version 1.0 - Initial Release Version - Does not contain Android Auto/CarPlay

Version 1.1 - Latest Update (as of 10/5/2016) for Version 1 to correct minor bug issues (only available via dealer upgrade - I have this available but it is a 500+gb download) 11/21/16 V1.1 has been removed from the dealer side. I don't know the specific reason but speculate it is due to a replacement upgrade being released soon

Version 2.0 - Only available on late build models of the 2016 Edge (roughly July 2016). Version 2 does contain Android Auto (fully functional) and CarPlay (non functional)

Version 1 cannot be upgraded to version 2 at this time. The software release has not been made available from Ford. Ford is currently saying it will be ready by the end of 2016.

For those that have a 2016 Ford Edge with V2.0 in it, the reason CarPlay does not work is because a CarPlay compliant USB hub is not installed in the vehicle. I have found that part # GJ7Z-19A387-B (part for 2017 MKC) is a CarPlay compliant USB hub that is a direct fit into the 2016 Edge. The backlighting is white instead of blue. Other USB hubs of the same design will likely work but at this time this is the only hub that has been tested to my knowledge and I can say gives the V2.0 SYNC 3 CarPlay. After some experimenting, the hub can be removed with a basic plastic trim tool without having to take anything else apart. Remove the rubber mat in the bin where the USB hub is and then take a thin plastic pry tool and slide it under the top or bottom and give it a little twist to get that side to pop out and then do the other end. You may need to hold the already released side out as it will want to pop back in.

Some additional information: You can replace the APIM in your Edge if it has V1 with one that has V2. They are different hardware part number. A replacement has to be setup and programmed for your specific vehicle. This does work as I have done it. In theory those with 2015 Edges that have MFT/SYNC2 should be able to "fairly easily" upgrade to SYNC 3. This will require a screen and apim replacement at minimum. Not a cheap retrofit and it would be based totally on personal preference.

Once Ford officially releases the V2.0 update for the V1 owners I am sure we will learn the official part # for the Edge USB hub that is CarPlay compliant. Just be forewarned Ford has put out information that due to the hardware upgrade it will be a dealer visit upgrade only. I certainly hope they change their stance on that. Until Ford makes the announcement it is just guessing as to what the official route of upgrade will be.

If further information pertaining to this topic is received I will attempt to update this original thread. I would like to ask that opinions about Apple versus Android be kept out of this and the keep the topic on task.

Thanks

Great post! My 16 Edge (build date of 7/11) came with v2.0 installed so I ordered part HC3Z-19A387-B and CarPlay works great! My understanding is the only difference between the two is the color of the LED around the USB port.

THIS UPGRADE IS FOR NORTH AMERICAN 2016 FORD/LINCOLN MODELS WITH SYNC3 V1.0 OR V 1.1 FACTORY NAVIGATION ONLY.

THIS WILL UPGRADE FROM VERSIONS 1.0/1.1 TO VERSION 2.2

THIS IS USED AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU TAKE ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ITS USE

NAVIGATION MAPS DO NOT GET UPGRADED WITH THIS UPDATE

This has been tested on 2016 F150, Edge and Mustang along with Lincoln MKC.

A new HUB is ONLY required if you want to use CarPlay. It is not required to install the update.

ANYONE THAT HAS A CONVERSION THAT USES THE MFT/SYNC2 USB SHOULD NOT UPDATE AS THIS WILL RENDER YOUR USB USELESS AND YOU WILL NEED A NEWER SYNC3 USB HUB

• Like 5

THIS UPGRADE IS FOR NORTH AMERICAN 2016 FORD/LINCOLN MODELS WITH SYNC3 V1.0 OR V 1.1 FACTORY NAVIGATION ONLY.
THIS IS USED AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU TAKE ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ITS USE
NAVIGATION MAPS DO NOT GET UPGRADED WITH THIS UPDATE
This has been tested on 2016 F150, Edge and Mustang along with Lincoln MKC.
A new HUB is ONLY required if you want to use CarPlay. It is not required to install the update.
ANYONE THAT HAS A CONVERSION THAT USES THE MFT/SYNC2 USB SHOULD NOT UPDATE AS THIS WILL RENDER YOUR USB USELESS AND YOU WILL NEED A NEWER SYNC3 USB HUB

Anyone installed this yet? Jason I have a 2016 Mustang. Have you had any specific feedback from 2016 Mustang owners?

Mirror Sites

Mirror (M.A.S.E.): https://uploadfiles.io/f506a

Mirror (didiasku): http://www.didiasku.com/ford/v22NAV.zip

Mirror (HizliBullet): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5V5mRF...sp=sharing

Mirror (jacknifetoaswan): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwBEBdp...sp=sharing

---------------------------

Checksum information

---------------------------

Name: SYNC3 NAV V1 TO V22.zip

Size: 1728118492 bytes (1648 MB)

SHA1: 38C41ECD34D85F4B69DCCAF0505CFA580A456E78

SHA256: 5C725E1E261CA59E6E643D3D4CDE1677D41F2A559448F81499 E342954C351B49

CRC32: 4F7B9C95

CRC64: 9451E65177117035

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

One more download link!

Sorry for going dark after initial testing. This is what I have been dealing with the last 24:

post-43557-0-58695500-1481685791_thumb.jpg

post-43557-0-07596400-1481685850_thumb.jpg

post-43557-0-21968600-1481686165_thumb.jpg

Wife had somebody turn left in her path on the way home from work. Her Expy did it's job, and she walked away just sore. Couldn't be more thankful Ford built a safe Vehicle! She was doing 45.

Think Ford tweaked the speed on the recent update, and response is good. The Text receive screen is different, and has less options.

Edited by Ray Heath Jr

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxlap1Uv4Q55WGhhTU1MUXFKeU0

One more download link!

Sorry for going dark after initial testing. This is what I have been dealing with the last 24:

IMG_6425.JPG

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

Wife had somebody turn left in her path on the way home from work. Her Expy did it's job, and she walked away just sore. Couldn't be more thankful Ford built a safe Vehicle! She was doing 45.

Think Ford tweaked the speed on the recent update, and response is good. The Text receive screen is different, and has less options.

Do not give out the test load...i added instructions and such right in the download so no one gets confused finding it in the wild.

Thanks

NON NAVIGATION

THIS UPGRADE IS FOR NORTH AMERICAN 2016 FORD/LINCOLN MODELS WITH SYNC3 V1.0 OR V 1.1 WITHOUT NAVIGATION ONLY.

IF YOU USE THIS ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN 1.0/1.1 YOU WILL RUIN YOUR UNIT...YOU WERE WARNED

YOU WILL NEED A FAT32 OR EXFAT FORMATTED 4GB OR MORE USB FLASH DRIVE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvvg32x6op...20V22.zip?dl=0

• Like 3