Grabbing Brakes in 2015?

Over the past 2 months my 2015 Edge (not even a year old - 14K miles) has grabbing breaks. I have owned (way too many) new cars in my life, this is the first car i have ever experienced where i lean in to do a slow break and it grabs unnaturally.

Is this something that is a known issue?

D

HA! And my #1 pet peeve are the Spelling Nazi's that clutter up a thread. Did my spelling mistake totally throw you or did you have a clue as to what my issue was?

To all else, is this known issue something covered under warranty or is this considered normal wear an tear?

• Like 2

Thanks for this info.... my 2015 has the most overly sensitive brakes of ANY vehicle I've ever driven. At low speeds, it's as if the brake pedal is an ON/OFF switch, no modulation at all.

When I took it in for it's first service and explained the issue, the Service Writer told me he'd never heard of such a problem and that I "just needed to get used to a new car"! Next time I go back, I'll advise him, he "needs to become familiar with the product he's servicing".

Dropped the Edge off today for regular service. Told them about this issue and gave them the printed out info from the link above. The new booster is on 'serious backorder and may take several months to get in'. So, its ordered and i am on the waiting list.

If your breaks grab/bite, i'd suggest getting with your service dept and getting on the list of parts.

• Like 1

Another unexpected need for parts ugh.

Dropped the Edge off today for regular service. Told them about this issue and gave them the printed out info from the link above. The new booster is on 'serious backorder and may take several months to get in'. So, its ordered and i am on the waiting list.

If your breaks grab/bite, i'd suggest getting with your service dept and getting on the list of parts.

Another unexpected need for parts ugh.

I have to agree. Previous cars for the past 20 years have been Japanese and all very reliable with no real issues. My Edge will be a year old come Thanksgiving. Its already had the STALLING issue taken care of and now this. It almost SEEMS like we are beta testers and that many of these edge's are not ready for prime time. Don't get me wrong, i love it but its come with extra 'baggage' that i am simply not used to.

I think Ford is either using the wrong suppliers or cutting the contracts too thin - either way they're getting way too many bad parts the last several years. From gas tanks to throttle bodies to headlights to transmission sensors to door latches. I thought the problems were mostly due to a lot of new platforms and european based suppliers and/or designs but they've have more than enough time to fix that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

I think Ford is either using the wrong suppliers or cutting the contracts too thin - either way they're getting way too many bad parts the last several years. From gas tanks to throttle bodies to headlights to transmission sensors to door latches. I thought the problems were mostly due to a lot of new platforms and european based suppliers and/or designs but they've have more than enough time to fix that kind of stuff.

No doubt! This does make me think twice about buying a ford ever again. Heck, i used to drive Mitsu's...NOT one of the BIG Japanese brands. Had 2 Montero Sports and an Endeavor over the course of about 10 years. Those things were wickedly reliable. Sadly as my needs for high tech in a car grew Mitsu fell way behind. I think Mitsubishi is still putting 8 Tracks in their infotainment system (kidding). My edge titanium is exactly what i want in a car as far as luxury, drive and technology......but damn all these things that make it stop and go are enough to make me think about trading out. Combined with 2+ months waiting for parts? Loosing faith in the brand. Over reacting? Possibly. But i've never had to worry about such things on a brand new 35K+ car.

My 06 Fusion was bulletproof for 7 years. 08 Edge only had one or two minor problems. 13 Fusion had several issues but none the last 18 months. 12 Focus (daughter's car) had a bad TCM and a flaky DCT trans before we traded it. I like Fords too much to really change (outside of a Porsche maybe) but it's getting harder to recommend them to others.

• 8 months later...

Dropped the Edge on Saturday for service and a few items to be addressed. The highly sensitive brakes issue is one of them. TSB information was provided and is showing on OASIS report according to the technician. Today, I got a call from the dealership to let me know they could not replicate the issue and as such they can not change the brake booster. This is the second time i report the issue to them and same response. I made it clear to them that it is a safety issue that need to be addressed and to go sort it out with Ford as I will not be taking the car back until it is safe to drive. Currently have a rental they are paying for. Any thoughts on other course of actions?

I replaced the front pads & rotors & have yet to experience the issue. I had it a handful of times prior to the swap. My reasoning for changing them was the incredibly high amounts of brake dust accumulating on the wheels in all 4 corners. Currently have about 1,000 miles (maybe more) & haven't had the issue. I also just changed the rear pads only as i didn't feel changing the rotors was worth it.

Centric Premium Rotors 12561118 & StopTech Z231818 for the fronts & Centric Posi-Quiet pads 105.16650 for the rear.

Granted, spending money on this is not ideal, but i have much better stopping power & even more importantly, far less brake dust.

Edited by lildisco

• 8 months later...

This was a great link: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21296-overly-sensitive-brake-application-at-low-speed-andor-in-coldwet-conditions-2015-2016-ford-edge-2016-lincoln-mkx/

Where is the brake booster located so that we can check to see what version of the part we presently have installed?

All the best,

Andrew.

Edited by NeuroBeaker