From one veteran to another...

Chipster

I just wanted to start a thread that will serve as a focal point for the forum to acknowledge the service of all of the veterans here and thank them for their service to this country. I would also like to say to a certain population within the larger veteran community: "Welcome Home" and thanks for your service & sacrifice! It would be very interesting to see where everyone did duty, when, and which branch you served with. Pictures would be a nice add.

For me 4 years in the USAF 68 -72. A year in Vietnam (Bien Hoa) a bit less than three years @ Andrews AFB then out. Seems like a long, long, time ago...Thank you all for your service!

post-35611-0-48255900-1478812552_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this. Was in 1St MAW at Phi Bai (Hue City nearby), tad to Chu Lie for a few weeks doing air sea rescue and spent mote of my time in country at Marble Mountain. Flew as a "door" gunner on the CH-46 and got to see most all of I-Corps (as well as a quiet visit into Laos.) Lonnnng time ago, but still remember it like yesterday.

Thanks for your post, Semper Fi.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Retired USAF 70-94. 1 tour in Vietnam (TSN in 71 as a K-9 handler), Clark AB Philippines, Barksdale AFB, LA, Lowry AFB, CO (now closed), Robins AFB, GA, Hickam AFB, HI, Elmendorf AFB, AK, and Whiteman AFB, MO. 24 years and never made it to Europe. Good times. Thanks for starting this post.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A bump for an old thread to say thanks to all vets.

I served in the Marine Corps from 69 to 73 as an infantryman. I was in Vietnam with 1/5 starting at An Hoa, then moving to the First Tanks compound and lastly Hill 34. I was wounded twice and rode down two helicopters when the pilots were wounded. luck was with me because both were close enough to the ground and just hit hard. In one the co pilot was able to fly it, the other wouldn't fly so we stayed with it until it was recovered. I then joined the NJ Army National Guard 24 years including a four year active Army posting. I retired in 95 shortly after the middle east got going.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

There are a couple of us Veterans fm early 60's to one younger one from early 90's that see each other at the same time at the Citrus Café around 9:45 am, not every day.  Only when you feel like it.  We sit at the counter and may have to yell across.  lol.  I used to volunteer at our local Veterans Rehab shelter for 2 years, as a driver, 4 years ago.  I retired 11 years ago from a manufacturing firm.  I have state military license plates and some do acknowledge.  

Yes, many Veterans are in dire need, and we need to acknowledge them every time we see them.  As one mentioned, take one out to eat that maybe homeless, for example.   I have heard MANY stories/experiences.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

From one veteran to another, been there done that. When I see a service member in a restaurant line I will offer to purchase their meal and thank them for their continued service. My career started as a tanker went to jump school, became Infantry became an Army Ranger. Got out for eight years, couldn’t stand civilian life. Came back to Aviation, went to school for helicopter maintenance, worked my way into an AeroScout slot where I learned to fly scout helicopters, as a scout. Then, became an Army medic, worked my way into flight medic school then finally retiring with 26 satisfying years of service to my country. Also, did two tours in Kuwait, as a contractor supporting OIF 2007 and 2008.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Almost embarrassed to say Air National Guard 1967-1972.  All service was stateside repairing giant R4360 engines the college educated officers broke.  Even though it was five years, service in the National Guard back then didn't qualify for veterans benefits (it does now).  At least I can fly my flag in the front yard and know I served in 'some' capacity. 

• 2 weeks later...