Improve The Quality Of Your OEM Sub For $5

Here's a link which discusses the subject in detail. In general, less is more. One fellow feels around 35% fill is correct.

(Personally I don't buy the thermodynamics aspect in small, low-power enclosures).

A small amount of fill should capture most of the reflections and make some improvement of sound. In the end its subjective to the listener.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/polyfill-the-magic-ingredient.154120/#:~:text=Registered,-Joined Jan 24&text=Fill is good%2C as it,35% fill will sound best.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 11:30 PM, McToberson said:

Do you have the B&O sub? Most people have said they used 1/6-1/4 of a 16oz bag of fill.  For my 2021, I ended up using 3/4 of a bag.  I didn't force any in; just added enough where I had a little resistance when pressing on the stuffing.  Where I'm confused is how much we should be adding.  Should the polyfill fill the box, but have zero density, or should there be some density and resistance?  Some pages say you should be using 1-1.5lbs of polyfill per cubic foot..  I've searched the net for the dimensions of the factory sub box but no dice.  I guess I'm taking the enclosure back out again and calculating the cubic volume... ugh.. I hate being an overthinker.  Why am I even thinking about this if it sounded good after install?  Well, it sounded great after install, while sitting in my driveway, but once I got out on the highway the next day, It didn't sound as good as it did after install, especially at higher volumes.  I feel like I may have added too much. 

you should be able to eyeball the cubic foot. it doesn't have to be precise.

from what i know, the filling should be fairly loose. no resistance to speak of when you touch it. it should not feel solid by any means. far from it.

• Like 1