Rear window shattered today

May be covered under your comprehensive policy.

Ā 

Been happening for some time now, but not really all that common.

Ā 

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14111-2011-sel-rear-window-shatteredexploded/

Ā 

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/exploding-windows/

Ā 

Buy a replacment for around $250 https://www.amazon.com/2007-2014-Ford-Window-Glass-Heated/dp/B00YW6U0F8

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just happened to my brand new Edge 2 weeks ago. The dealership is covering all costs to fix, and paying my loaner. Unbelievable that this happens. Also, happened at the base of window, while using rear defrost. Once the courtesy wipe occurred after getting back in vehicle the glass shattered and fell inside.

Ā 

Thank God I managed to get a picture before hand.

• Like 2

OK, folks. So I live in New England where it gets pretty cold in the winter -- I just cleaned off a foot of snow from last night's storm and it's going down to 6 degrees tonight -- and I'm getting paranoid about turning on the rear window defroster. I've had my Edge just over a month and I've used the defroster a couple of times without issue. I'd kinda like to think this is an isolated issue, but I'd also like to avoid having my rear window implode. Thoughts? Assurances? Cautions?

To kp613. I took pictures as well and the pattern is very similar to yours. Glass separated along the bottom of window. Window held together until the vehicle came to a stop and then when I opened the driver door, glass shards started to fall into cargo area from centre of window. Ford also fixed mine under warranty and provided loaner vehicle.

• Like 1

You can bang on tempered glass with a hammer sometimes and it won't break. But if you just tap it on the side it shatters.

Ā 

Ford does check very closely for impacts because that's still the most likely cause. Take your own high res photos. What the dealer tells Ford really makes a difference.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My rear window exploded yesterday morning on my street, as I was slowly taking off. I had remote-started the car and let it run for 5-10 minutes. I then brushed the light snow off from my windshield and windows. Everything looked good back then. It was -7C outside.

Since the dealership was closed, I called a car glass company who graciously cleaned up most of the mess and installed a temporary plastic until I can make it to the dealership. The person at the desk told me that they recently had several occurences with Edge's. The worst part is: she told me that Ford is "back order" on recent models' rear windows since November, they have none in Canada and have no idea when they would have some. Any of you heard about that?

Edited by sylvainm

• 2 weeks later...