Rear window shattered today

3 hours ago, MLin said:

You are right, I should have gone to the dealer, even if it is a hour away or at least called them to discuss. Instead I went to my local Ford dealer and this insane process got rolling and then it started raining heavily with a heavy rain advisory and no time to drive an hour away.

This is definitely a design flaw. Ford acknowledges it as a "Manufacturing defect" however identified this issue in a "Customer Satisfaction Program" which is like calling it "Fake News" IMO. They seem to be sneakily moving away from using "Recall"  and rebranding it "Customer Satisfaction Program" (CSP) and expecting no one to call them on it.  The CSP issued by Ford says " It may be possible for salt and water to weep through the rear wiper motor shaft grommet. This can leave a deposit of residue on the interior of the rear defroster grid and cause uneven heat in the glass". These are the words from Ford. As I look at everyone's pictures, the shatter pattern is the same. This is definitely a design flaw and should be unequivocally covered regardless of how many times the glass shatters.

1. The glass shattering sounds like a gun shot and if it happens while driving it scares the crap out of you.

2. I live in Canada and during the in winter months the rear defrost is a necessity. Now that this has happened to me twice (2x's) I freeze every time I start my car and the heat comes on and its like a race to turn the defrost off and then its a "decision", like how bad is it, do I really need to turn on my rear defrost today"???

3. My thought process goes to questioning "What can I do to alleviate this fear and try to stop it from happening again since Ford has not identified a willingness to own this flaw and provide me with a reliable fix?"

4. I escalated this to the top at Ford and got some action. It wasn't a great response but it wasn't a complete NO like I had received from the dealership, Customer Service and Customer Relations.

ps. Know anyone that wants to buy a 2015 Ford Edge?

It's not a recall because it's not a safely issue.    It's a major inconvenience, and a design flaw, but it's not a safety thing.  If nobody is getting injured or dying- no recall.  

As for #3, you could pull the wiper setup and seal up the hole if you are willing to live without the wiper.  Find a good body plug and silicone it in.  It'd be just like driving a sedan at that point.

"Rear wiper delete Mod"

Edited by IWRBB

• 1 year later...

Just bought this 2016 ford edge like 3 days ago and my bf was going to take it to work this morning. He said the back glass looked fogged over because the temperature got down to about 67F last night and it's been hot here in tn. He turned the rear defrost on and said almost immediately heard a cracking sound, so he got out of the car and went to inspect the noise to find the back glass wash shattering and falling out at the bottom and worked it's way to cover the entire back glass. I have reached out to the dealer i bought it from as it's still under warranty, i'm just waiting for them so send me a text whenever a live agent is available. I'm hoping and praying that this isn't the beginning of a long line of problems like my boyfriend gas with his Ford F350 that we eventually had to get rid of because the cost of repairs was up in the THOUSANDS.

239314148_536226144267974_228207192553792729_n.jpg

1 hour ago, hannah235 said:

Just bought this 2016 ford edge like 3 days ago and my bf was going to take it to work this morning. He said the back glass looked fogged over because the temperature got down to about 67F last night and it's been hot here in tn. He turned the rear defrost on and said almost immediately heard a cracking sound, so he got out of the car and went to inspect the noise to find the back glass wash shattering and falling out at the bottom and worked it's way to cover the entire back glass. I have reached out to the dealer i bought it from as it's still under warranty, i'm just waiting for them so send me a text whenever a live agent is available. I'm hoping and praying that this isn't the beginning of a long line of problems like my boyfriend gas with his Ford F350 that we eventually had to get rid of because the cost of repairs was up in the THOUSANDS.

I had this happen a few years ago with a Mondeo I had at the time. It was really cold, below freezing so I put on the rear window heater/demister to clear it and a few seconds later it there was an almighty crack and the tempered glass broke leaving it looking like a completed jig-saw puzzle! It didn't stay like that for long though, one bump in the road and the whole thing caved in, leaving the back covered in tiny glass fragments. It was a very cold journey!

Over here it is normal for all glass to be covered by car insurance with claims having no impact on your no-claim bonus and only a nominal excess to pay. Is that not the same in the US?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bear76 said:

2017 Edge.  Wife started it this morning for a warm up.  7 minutes.   OAT 51*.  Rear defrost was on, rear wiper actuated once.   She made it out of the driveway (1/4 mi) and BOOM!  Out goes the glass. WTAF?

Now researching, and here I am. 

Not even that cold!

But this can also suddenly happen with just the slightest pressure or movement if the glass is under stress due to bad installation or has been has been chipped or suffered impact in the past. It's rare though as toughened (tempered) glass is so much stronger than laminated.

Edited by niceonept
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Not even that cold!

But this can also suddenly happen with just the slightest pressure or movement if the glass is under stress due to bad installation or has been has been chipped or suffered impact in the past. It's rare though as toughened (tempered) glass is so much stronger than laminated.

Yep. Definitely not as cold as the last 3 winters!  Lol

Im wondering, given Ford’s exquisite record of electrical issues, if this might be tied somehow to the blue screen of death on the center console display a few days ago.   Just randomly turned blue and was unresponsive.   Let car sit overnight because I want going to play with anything in the dark.  Worked like a charm the past two days…now this?

If some voltage regulator that controls the rear defrost unit is going tits up, it’s quite possible that the heating elements are receiving ALL the voltage/amperage all at once.   Tempered glass is pretty stout stuff, but it can only take so much. 

Yhe best part is the runaround by FMC HQ and the dealership.  They apparently can’t talk to each other?   

I did have my heart set on a new F450, but jeeez….not so sure now. 

20 hours ago, Bear76 said:

Yep. Definitely not as cold as the last 3 winters!  Lol

Im wondering, given Ford’s exquisite record of electrical issues, if this might be tied somehow to the blue screen of death on the center console display a few days ago.   Just randomly turned blue and was unresponsive.   Let car sit overnight because I want going to play with anything in the dark.  Worked like a charm the past two days…now this?

If some voltage regulator that controls the rear defrost unit is going tits up, it’s quite possible that the heating elements are receiving ALL the voltage/amperage all at once.   Tempered glass is pretty stout stuff, but it can only take so much. 

Yhe best part is the runaround by FMC HQ and the dealership.  They apparently can’t talk to each other?   

I did have my heart set on a new F450, but jeeez….not so sure now. 

Yes, it could be the electrics. Quite a few reports of the rear screen going as soon as the rear demister is switched on.

Are you not able to have the glass replaced on your car insurance?

On 10/8/2021 at 9:50 AM, niceonept said:

Yes, it could be the electrics. Quite a few reports of the rear screen going as soon as the rear demister is switched on.

Are you not able to have the glass replaced on your car insurance?

Glass replaced ($150 deductible).   Had a great conversation with a FoMoCo rep.   Will be receiving a refund for the deductible.  Took statements from local dealership service mgr AND the local safelite tech as to how many of these windows they’ve seen busted out this year alone.   It was the first Edge the dealership had seen, but it was the 7th rear window on the Edge the Safelite dude had done this year….personally…

Tied all the statements together with photos, vids, and documents from our Canadian neighbors and provided to FoMoCo directly.  My dealership provided all info THEY could up their chain of command.   Hopefully this gets some attention.  I don’t like playing the “vet” card at all, but both the missus and I are longtime combat veterans.  I EXPECT to be shot at, bombed, etc when in less than desirable places of the world—I do not expect this in my own yard driving down peaceful country roads. 

maybe some kind of official recall will be coming soon. ??‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My 2016 Ford Edge rear windshield just shattered today, the rear defrost was not on nor was it really cold outside. I was just sitting in the car with my brother and granddaughter waiting for someone to get home and there was a big boom and it shattered. Nothing his it or anything

6D7F8766-0980-4982-BE4E-4D816D8D6759.jpeg

4D51F8EA-1AF3-4CB2-AF54-5C6A834D0826.jpeg

7EE61042-C1D6-43EB-A75B-4C77519DC6AD.jpeg

5823A732-0BB0-4C9F-B167-45CA8D5FD6DA.jpeg

796B6D08-02D1-443D-9CD9-3E6E1258B147.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are literally hundreds of glass breakage reported by F150 owners. Many report smelling burning wiring as the breakage occured, leading to the belief that the defrost heater wiring is failing, causing overheating. 

Wonder if anything is different in the glass? Not much in the way of reports for the gen 1 platform vehicles having this problem. Did they change the glass or defrost heater in the gen 2?