fords warranty denials

norseman12

Why don't we simply break down the stats according to how many people have encountered problems with the PTU on EDGE/MKX models on this site? And, how many times Ford has updated the PTU since the first design? Ford is the only one that knows how many of their units have failed, and they certainly aren't going to be helpful supplying this information for obvious reasons. I believe there have been seven updates since 2007? So, there have been 7 updates from 2007-2014, and the 2015 model had a complete redesign? That many updates(changes) on a part does not instill confidence on the reliability of said part. Everyone knows that the PTU is the #1 complaint for this model on this site. Agree or disagree?

I had my PTU replaced back in November 2016 by a small shop? They had replaced 12 maybe 13 PTUs since April 2016?( If my memory serves me right that is what I remember.) Let's just say that is an unusually high repair amount for one model design for such a small shop in a rural low populated area.

I saw someone trying to start a class action lawsuit against Ford on another site because of the problem with the PTU. I believe the problem is widespread, you can believe what you want.

Edited by dshamer

Search Results

Lawyers have opened an investigation into Ford Edge and Flex ...
gotaclassaction.com/15796-2/
Nov 9, 2015 - I have a 2010 Ford Edge and the PTU needs to be replaced at 109,000 ..... they hear about the number of issues and the class action lawsuit.
Ford | Got a Class Action?
gotaclassaction.com/tag/ford/

If you have a Ford Flex or Edge and experienced a problem with the PTU on .... Ford named in class action lawsuit over defects in vehicles equipped with the ...

Ford - Lawyers and Settlements

Ford Motor Co. got hit with a defective products class action lawsuit filed by ... class action this week, alleging certain Ford Explorer, Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX ...

PTU Problems Ford dealer service dept. say's yes - 2013 / 2014 ...
www.fordescape.org › ... › Engine and Technical Discussion

May 8, 2016 - 8 posts - ‎5 authors
I told them all how black my PTU fluid was at 45,000 miles! and that this ... Now if you want to talk about the Ford Edge back in 2008ish, that's a ...
Yet Another PTU : Ford Edge Drive Train - RepairPal
repairpal.com › Problems › Ford › Edge

Ford Edge Yet Another PTU. This is a verified problem based on 77 reports. Learn more about this problem, when it occurs and how to fix i
Edited by dshamer

I was reading through the class action prelim and was amazed at the difference of cost to replace. Seems to run the gammit from $900 to atound $2500. Mist seem to be for the 2007 model year, but 2013 and 2024's are included. Most seem to occur around 100k or more.

One person stated that the Escape's PTU has a lifetime warranty. If that's right, makes me wonder ...

In reading the bulk of the complaints, appears that leaking seals precipitate the failures. (They found mine leaking a couple of oil changes back and had the seal replaced. Think this was around the 92k mark.) So monitor the seal at each oil change and have the fluid changed every 30k or so and (((hopefully))) that will delay the inevitable. Every PTU will fail eventually. (Just like every man will get prostate cancer if he lives link enough.)

In all honestly, there's been more than one million Edge's built (through 2015), not counting the other Ford and Lincoln models, and the number of failures we know of, a few hundred (or a few thousand) vs. several million built....

Edited by enigma-2

Why don't we simply break down the stats according to how many people have encountered problems with the PTU on EDGE/MKX models on this site? And, how many times Ford has updated the PTU since the first design? Ford is the only one that knows how many of their units have failed, and they certainly aren't going to be helpful supplying this information for obvious reasons. I believe there have been seven updates since 2007? So, there have been 7 updates from 2007-2014, and the 2015 model had a complete redesign? That many updates(changes) on a part does not instill confidence on the reliability of said part. Everyone knows that the PTU is the #1 complaint for this model on this site. Agree or disagree?

Reading through the class action website certainly does appear that the unit is prone to failure. Most seem to be in the 2007 model year, and milage mostly appears to be in the 100k range.

I would disagree that it's the number one problem, that honor would probably be the door closed switch.

I had my PTU replaced back in November 2016 by a small shop? They had replaced 12 maybe 13 PTUs since April 2016?( If my memory serves me right that is what I remember.) Let's just say that is an unusually high repair amount for one model design for such a small shop in a rural low populated

I had a leaking seal replaced in October (or thereabouts) and asked the technician how many PTU had they replaced (in 2016). He said three or four. (City of 40k). Paid $100 as still under extended warranty; said it would have been around $600 without.

Curious, what year do you have again and about what was your milage when it failed?

A very low mile 2009 MKX 27,000 when unit failed, and rear wheel bearing also failed (driver side). I had PTU and both rear wheel bearings replaced. I have 30,700 miles as we speak.

Of course every PTU will eventually fail, but there are way to many of these units that self destruct before their time.They are a junk design. They leak and they fail... or they just fail after gear oil fries and turns to goo. And if the trans seal fails and leaks(which is the norm) on this unit it can destroy the transmission. That is why there have been so many updates and changes. It's a failed design, hence so many updates or band aids.