2013 SEL Smartphone Remote

Hi everyone.

I just purchased a 2013 Edge SEL and would like to install a smartphone remote start. I have scoured the threads here and on other sites for information on the exact kits that will work. The car does not have a factory remote now. This is where it gets confusing because I'm seeing conflicting information. I know I need the security kit and remote kit and the part numbers look to be either DL3Z-19A361-A, or DT4Z-19A361-A for the security alarm and DL3Z-19A390-B for the smartphone remote kit. Can someone verify this for me? Thanks in advance.

That kit is available on eBay or Amazon but neither site lists anything about the kit or what is included. Searching Google I came up empty. Someone on here must have a 2013 Edge similar to mine that has the smartphone remote and correct part numbers.

As far as the hood switch, does the switch come with a harness or does the remote kit include one. Thanks

It includes the remote start module, which gets t-harnessed into the tpms in the driver side rear quarter panel as well as the SIM card module. It also includes the harness. That is the exact kit I purchased.

The hood switch is just the switch that gets plugged into the wiring harness. Do you not have the wire harness in your car? I figured the SEL trim level would have it (my 2012 SEL did).

Did you look at my initial post in this thread?: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17035-adding-oem-remote-start-kits-parts-explained-detailed-2011/page-1

Edited by candurin

We bought the car for my daughter as an early college graduation present. She is in her final semester 4 hours away so I don't have access to it. I want to have all the pieces and parts assembled so when she comes home in 3 or 4 weeks I can install it. She can then take it to a dealer to be programmed or I'll try with FORScan.

Don't the newer kits connect to the OBDII plug?

You say the hood switch will plug into the wiring harness so I assume there is an empty socket somewhere in the engine bay.

I did look at your post which is very informative but no solid info on my particular car. I'll look through it again.

Should be plenty of info for your car. I performed the install on my 2012 SEL, which is identical to your 2013. I even explained the difference between the tpms and OBD installs. You can either utilize the full kit that I mentioned or you can piecemeal a OBD based kit for your model year. Both work and perform identically.

Have another look at the OP in that thread and let me know if you have more questions.

Edited by candurin

Thanks candurin for your help. I'm pretty sure I have nailed down the correct part numbers for the OBD kit. Security alarm DT4Z-19A361-A, and remote kit DL3Z-19A390-B. I'll also need the hood switch.

Once I install it I'll report back. It will be another 3 weeks or so until it's done.

Okay I had my daughter send me a video of the engine compartment and there is no hood switch. 2 questions.

Where do you mount the switch?

Is there an existing harness and plug to connect the switch? I do not see an available harness for sale.

Edited by Dave33

You can see it in the image here:

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/06/2012-Ford-Edge-Limited-Ecoboost-029-550x353.jpg

If you look underneath where the hood Switch goes you'll see the wire harness clipped to a plastic dummy connector. You simply pull it off the plastic connection point and plug it into the hood switch once you mount it.

• Like 1

I see it. I did start looking through that thread but it didn't really pertain to my situation as I'm going with the the OBD connection. I didn't go far enough to see the hood switch.

As I mention it will be a couple of weeks I will post back when complete.

Thanks again. This is a great forum.

• 2 weeks later...

So I made an appointment with my local Ford dealer for Saturday as my daughter was coming home from school. I installed the remote and security module and hood switch. All very easy and took an hour from start to finish. The hardest part was fins a good location to mount them.

Took the car to dealer today and was quoted over the phone $29 to $49. That was a great deal. When checking in the service adviser told me they had never installed a smartphone remote before but did have a very good tech to do the job. I brought all the manuals and instructions and handed them over. 2 hours later and the money meter running I started getting very nervous thinking they were going to hand me a huge bill.

Finally the service adviser and tech came and said we have good news and bad. The good news was there was no charge. The bad news is they couldn't get the remote to communicate with the car and were receiving an error code. They tried calling the Ford tech line for help at 2:15 only to find out they closed at 2.

Now I have to bring it back when the tech line is open for them to call and troubleshoot. (Sigh).

My daughter may be able to come back next weekend weather depending.

Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my final update.

I took the car back to the dealership this morning to hopefully get it programmed. I waited 2 hours and the tech came out to say he finally figured out the problem as to why it would not communicate. He stated the security module I bought was incorrect. When I questioned him I told him I was absolutely sure I had the correct part number and told him the box was in the back seat. When we looked at the box it had the correct part number which is DT4Z-19A361-A. The security module that came in the box had a part number of DL3J-19G367-AA. Long story short I had to pay for 3 hours labor plus a new module which cost me $50 more than the one I bought online. Grand total to have this remote system up and running was $1109.38.

I can return the module I bought that was incorrect ($152.00). I then called Ford Customer Care, stated my case and they totally refused to do anything. I should have gone with my first choice of using a reputable car accessory store nearby as their charge for a smartphone remote is $399 installed. By the way this was the first smartphone this dealership had programmed so I was the Guinea Pig. Next guy to have this done will pay a much less price as now they know how to do it.

I am sick to my stomach and never again will I go through this and will never ever buy another Ford.

Edited by Dave33

I don't understand how this is Fords fault? You purchased a part not directly from Ford dealership you went to, with the right part # on the box, but wrong part in the box. Then you basically paid a Ford dealership to troubleshoot the issue, which resulted in total of 5 hours labor,if i read your post correctly (2 trips).

I really don't understand why you think Ford Corporate would reimburse you for anything, even though the part in question was from another Ford Dealer. If anything, Apple Ford should reimburse you for the part & possibly some labor associated with the wrong part being delivered.

The parts I bought are in post 15 above. These parts are correct and were confirmed correct by the service tech. The remote module I bought and installed was correct and is in the vehicle now. The security module was incorrect. Wrong part in box. The tech installed the correct security module which they had in stock and is the same part I had ordered but received incorrect one.

The incorrect part I received looked exactly like the correct part and the remote module plugged right in. The remote module plugs into the security module and the security module connects to the OBD port.

My advise to anyone thinking about doing this is Don't do it! You can same quality syatem at any "reputable" remote start installer for far less. They usually come with a lifetime warranty as well.

Edited by Dave33

I don't understand how this is Fords fault? You purchased a part not directly from Ford dealership you went to, with the right part # on the box, but wrong part in the box. Then you basically paid a Ford dealership to troubleshoot the issue, which resulted in total of 5 hours labor,if i read your post correctly (2 trips).

I really don't understand why you think Ford Corporate would reimburse you for anything, even though the part in question was from another Ford Dealer. If anything, Apple Ford should reimburse you for the part & possibly some labor associated with the wrong part being delivered.

Because Apple Ford sold me a sealed in box Ford part. It's not their fault the wrong part was put in the box. I bought the part from Ford. Ford needs to go after the company they bought the part from to reimburse them....

Edited by Dave33

Dave, I hear what you are saying, but, can you confirm the part number on the actual module? It should be either DL3J-19G367-AA or -AB? And did you connect it at the back of the car or the front? Again, the -aa and -ab module are indistinguishable and can physically be connected in either location. The only difference is the t-cable that is included in the kit (-aa should include the tpms t-harness and -ab should include the OBD t-harness). If that wasn't the case it is a "ford" issue. The dealer doesn't package and seal the boxes, ford does.

If you connected the -AA version in the front, it would not work. Nor would -AB work if you connected it in the rear.

I'm asking because the dealer you used should be aware of this...

I get what others are saying, but, Dave's module should have worked, as long as it was connected to the correct spot.

Edited by candurin