2016 Edge Rear Window Exploded

My rear window exploded last October. I was told the car was out of basic warranty. No mention of FSA. I ended up replacing it myself $400.  I’ll be reporting this as well now that I know there is problem. I encourage others to do the same. If there are enough reports it may generate a TSB or recall.

Edited by Maverick

A TSB won't help with warranty coverage unless it includes an extended warranty.    And it's not considered a safety issue so NHTSA won't force a recall.

Almost all insurance covers glass breakage some with no deductible.  It's almost impossible to prove whether it was a defect or not after the fact.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, This happened to me today, I went to Church this am in my 2015 Ford Edge and came home, nothing wrong with back window, I go to get in and go to store about 5 hours later and glass is shattered and appears to have imploded from inside out as no glass was on inside but outside the car, I did use defrost this am for about 10 minutes to clear up window, but turned off, went to Church, came home, no problems, so between about 12:45pm and 5:30pm, it just shattered for no reason, I just filed a complaint with NHTSA, Calling Ford Company tomorrow to see if they will foot the bill, then call Insurance Company if no help from Ford, But I hope they do, Wish me Luck.

23CD5C7E-016A-4B2B-A2F7-650421D2EF32.jpeg

8C98327E-3B32-424C-92AD-741F007CF420.jpeg