Lug Nut torque 2016

rabbitdog

I was driving by my usual dealer today so i thought i'd stop by and see my service rep who is a really nice guy.

i started out by mentioning that i was curious about the lug-nut torque on my edge and right away he says "100 lb-ft." when i said it was 162 in the manual, his jaw dropped and he said "what??" a couple of other guys at the service desk got involved and they too were basically saying WTF?!?! One guy looked it up on the service manual online and it did say 162 lb-ft/220 nm. but just as he was looking it up, one of the mechanics came in and heard the conversation and said 100 lb-ft is what they torque to.

all of the "hands on" people, the guys that actually wield the tools, said 100 lb-ft but the manuals say 162. they even looked up some big truck with big lug nuts (F150 super duty?) and it was something around 140.

I still suspect that something is wrong here and this is such a massive fluster-cluck because it's a big huge company and nobody's in charge.

in the end, i'm going to loosen my lug nuts. maybe i'll go to 110 or even 120 but 162 is just insane and that's what all the mechanics felt as well.

do any of you think that the lug-nuts could have been damaged, weakened by torquing them so high? this is crazy. i'm going to pursue it via more publicity somehow.

Edited by ben senise
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They're great, at first I just got them because I wanted black lugs to complete my chrome delete, but I'm glad I did because they seem to be much better than the stock lugs anyway. Got them off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U3THY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's another source for these - I spoke with a CSR at Gorilla, and Summit Racing sells the same nut under their part number GOR-61148BCX for $3.97 each - I ordered 22 of them, plus a Gorilla 1316TWS socket, to get free shipping... And, Summit ships fast - I ordered them last night, they shipped two hours later, and I should have them tomorrow... :) And, I plan to torque mine to 120 ft-lb (162 nm.) - I doubt they'll fall off.

P.S. - sorry, I was talking about the (Lug Nut, Conical Seat, Bulge, 14mm x 1.50 RH, Closed End, Steel, Black Chrome) that fits our Edges, not the (14mm x 1.5 Wheel Locks) for the same cars - I only want the lug nuts, and don't need the locks. Mea Culpa...

Edited by joet51

I just rotated my tires today and I twisted my nuts to 100 ft pounds. They didn't scream and I don't think they will fall off .

I'm going to drive through a red light on the way home today because I don't think anyone else will be coming the other way.

Seriously, you need to follow the manufacturer's recommendation, even if you don't understand why.

Uh, I think it's a little suspicious that 162Nm is exactly 120 ft/lb.

After many years in the software / hardware industry, I promise that engineers don't write the documentation - documentation writers do. I've seen too many cases where the documentation writers didn't quite understand what the engineers wrote, said, or implied, with unfortunate results because the writers don't want to look dumb.

Yesterday, I replaced all 20 lug nuts / locks on my 2017 Edge Sport with Gorilla 61148BCX lug nuts I bought from Summit Racing, and I can attest that every single one of the factory-installed lug nuts / locks was tightened to no more than 100 ft/lb - I'm sure of this because before I removed the factory-installed nuts / locks, I set my (certified balls-on accurate...) torque wrench to 110 ft/lb and tried to tighten all of them, and every one of them turned before they clicked at 110 ft/lb.

As an extra precaution, I installed all the Gorilla lug nuts at 120 ft/lb (162Nm), and the car is perfectly happy that way.

So, my assertion is that somebody, somewhere, got their conversions mixed up and 120 ft/lb (162Nm) is a good torque value, even for my 21-inch sport wheels.

OTOH, if you read an obituary for an Edge driver in Alabama whose wheels fell off, I apologise in advance, posthumously...

Edited by joet51
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guys, these comments are making me smile !!! Ford say 162 lbs/ft ITS FOR A REASON !! The engineers specify the torque, not some "writer" as one suggested.

Wheel nuts (lug nuts to you) Tend to work loose when used on aluminium wheels. On Steel wheels it is more easily controlled and lower values can be specified. Ford have had some vehicles loose their wheels in the past, hence the "make sure" torque. No one has yet cautioned people to check the torque AGAIN after a few miles, (I think the manual says before 100 mile have passed.) I Check mine after about 20 miles and again at around 100 miles. I guess having had a wheel come off from not re-checking the torque I learned the hard way.

Torque for my 2018 Edge wheel nuts is 162 lbs/ft.

I'm going to drive through a red light on the way home today because I don't think anyone else will be coming the other way.

Seriously, you need to follow the manufacturer's recommendation, even if you don't understand why.

It’s been almost 4 months driving through red lights and my nuts are still tight as the day I rotated my tires.

So what does the manual say for the European edges in N/M? If it’s a typo then those should also say 162 N/M.

i just checked the ford switzerland website and the manual for the edge says 220Nm.

Guys, these comments are making me smile !!! Ford say 162 lbs/ft ITS FOR A REASON !! The engineers specify the torque, not some "writer" as one suggested.

I think what people are trying to say is that an error could have occured. Sure the engineer spec'ed X but the tech writer wrote Z, got the lb-ft and Nm mixed up.

Just like the young monk at the monastery where they make copies of the bible (before the advent of printing.) He asks the senior monk how he could be sure that an error hadn't been introduced somewhere along the way since they were making copies of the copies that had been made from copies. The senior monk replied that he shouldn't worry but he would go down to the archives to check. After the senior monk didn't return for a long time, the young monk went down to see if he was alright. He found the senior monk sobbing. "What's wrong?" said the young monk. The senior monk replied, crying, "The word was celebrate!"

• Like 1

i just checked the ford switzerland website and the manual for the edge says 220Nm.

I think what people are trying to say is that an error could have occured. Sure the engineer spec'ed X but the tech writer wrote Z, got the lb-ft and Nm mixed up.

But if the European manual says 220Nm then it’s not a typo or mixup. It’s 162 lb/ft.