Sync 3 Installed in a 2012 Limited

Hi everyone. After following the guys over at 2GFusions on how to install Sync 3 in a 2013-2016 Fusion, I decided that would be the first modification to my Edge once I got it this weekend. I knew I'd get the car so I already had the radio purchased and ready to go - and good thing I did because the Sync 2/MFT system actually died before I even got the car. I believe the APIM was shot.

Anyways, I scored a basically new/barely used Sync 3 nav unit off eBay for a great price ($480). It still had the protective cover that says "to be removed by customer" on the display. As of right now, it works flawlessly and I see no issues whatsoever.

In case anyone is interested, here is what is needed to complete this mod:

Sync 3 unit - Nav or Non-nav

Note: unlike Sync 2, navigation can NOT be activated on non-nav models. I've found that yes, you technically can enable the buttons/nav screen (or at least you can disable it on nav-equipped units)...but the non-nav units have 8GB of internal storage whereas the nav units have 32GB to hold the maps (and 64GB in Europe), so they do not and cannot actually hold any map files, and it is therefore useless to attempt. So if you want nav, you HAVE to buy a nav-equipped model.

I paid: $480, but your price will vary on this.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sync 3 dual USB port - this is needed because it has Apple CarPlay authentication chips. When using the current/old USB and SD card hub, Sync 3 will give you an error message every time you start the car. But I do believe it still works for Android Auto and other USB functions despite the error message.

HC3Z-19A387-B for the Ford version (blue lighting around USB ports)

GJ7Z-19A387-B for the Lincoln version (white lighting around USB ports)

(I went with white for preference, it looks great in the console and does not look out of place)

Cost - $48.52 at http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

USB port faceplate:

GC3Z-19C149-A

The new USB port is smaller than the existing hub and this allows it to fit in place.

Cost: $9.56 at http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Sync 2 to Sync 3 Wiring Adapter for USB hub

https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-1/

Cost: $50

Ford does make their own pigtail for this new hub for $32 if you wire it yourself, though I found the adapter to be worth the extra $18.

Ford part number CU2Z-14S411-AA (WPT-1239)

GPSM antenna w/Fakra connector - Sync 3 nav uses this independent antenna, and does not use the existing one. However, you will want to leave yours intact or the compass reading on your dashboard will not work. I mounted mine on a metal bracket inside the dashboard (directly behind the push start button) to the left of the radio opening.

Cost: $14.97 at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AKVX2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in all I paid around $610, but I did sell an old APIM from my 2014 Fusion to Infotainment.com for $100 so I think of it as a net cost of $510. Pretty great deal compared to their own kits for $2100+. And I needed a new APIM for my Edge anyways since it died, so that helped justify the decision lol.

The existing radio is easy to remove - there is a video on YouTube if needed, but I don't want to write all of the steps here.

Once you get it installed, it will need to be programmed to your vehicle to make sure all functions operate correctly (climate, heated/cooled seats, ambient lighting, etc.) I managed to tinker enough with mine using FORScan software and an OBDLink MX adapter, but it did take about an hour of trial and error and I think I got lucky because I really had no idea what I was doing. When I first installed it, the climate screen was unresponsive, the heated seats buttons were gone, there was a Vehicle Charge screen (must have came from a Fusion Energi), and I had no ambient lighting options. But after a while of messing with the as-built data, I finally got exactly all the features my Edge has, and got rid of the charge screen.

There are a couple of guys out there that may be willing to program it for a fee though - DanMc85 at 2GFusions.net or maybe Jason at FordPiMods.com. Unfortunately, I can't be of much help because everyone's vehicle is different - but if anyone wants my modified As-Built APIM file, I'll be glad to share, and you should be able to flash your APIM with it and make progress. In fact, if you have a similarly equipped Edge (nav, ambient lighting, heated seats), you may not need to do anything else.

That's all I have for now - but would be glad to answer any questions that come to mind. Here's some pics though.

post-46281-0-50135200-1493785308_thumb.jpg

post-46281-0-46897600-1493785329_thumb.jpg

post-46281-0-90580300-1493785333_thumb.jpg

post-46281-0-45216700-1493785338_thumb.jpg

Edited by zrt8355
  • Like 10

No problem! It is a vast improvement over the MyFordTouch system in my opinion. The new touchscreen alone makes a huge difference (capacitive, like on a smartphone versus resistive in Sync 2), so it registers presses with way less pressure. And it just operates much quicker and smoother, it is beyond night and day to me. Be cool to see if anyone else has or will be doing it to their Edge!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After much head scratching and research through forums and E-bay I was able to determine that there are actually 2 types of Sync 3 screens.

Those ending in -SA or -SB have a flat side completely encasing the screen. Per 4D Techs website, these screens fit the Escape, Focus, C-Max, Focus, Expedition, & Mustang.

The one ending in -SC has an indention on the sides, that much closer resembles the MFT screen. That indention allows the MFT brackets to actually attach the screen to the dash. This screen fits the Edge, Explorer, Flex, Taurus, and several truck versions.

I purchased an Escape module/screen, not knowing that it would not fit. For now, I'll continue looking on Ebay for the coveted -SC screen.

As an aside, zrt8355, how did you get only 2 heated options on your Sync 3 display? I have 3 options, but of course only 2 work for the 2011s. And does your IPC navigation menu function correctly as it did with MFT?

• Like 2

That is very good to know - I thought I had read somewhere that the Focus/Escape Sync 3 was "different" but wasn't sure how, and was about to purchase a Sync 3 system from a C-Max for my '14 Fusion.

I honestly cannot really pinpoint how I managed to get 2 levels of heating - it did have 3 when I first played around with it. I just kept having to change values in the as built data, if I remember right all or most of it was accomplished changing values within the first two lines of as built data for the APIM.

Navigation does function 100% correctly on the IPC with Sync 3. If you haven't yet returned or sold your Escape module + screen combo, I'd play around with it until you got it fully set up for the Edge and save the profile, so that all you have to do is flash the saved profile to your new setup when it gets there.

Edited by zrt8355
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally I have Sync 3 installed with a screen pulled from an Explorer. The quickness of Sync and having Carplay is a night and day difference from MFT. I still have not figured out the heated seat stages, but the more annoying part is the navigation not working correctly in the instrument cluster. I have several favorites saved, but cannot access them from the cluster. I went to a local dealer this weekend to get a tire rotation and have any modules updated with the latest firmware, but I was up to date with the most current software available - no charge.

zrt8355 would you be able to PM me the settings for your Edge? I had Dan from the Fusion forums send me the as-built data I needed, but the navigation is still irritating me although everything else works great.

Something to keep in mind is that the Climate voice commands for Sync 3 have been eliminated, as far as I can tell and have been able to research. The only thing you can change with voice is the temperature. The commands were something that I would occasionally use when I would drive through heavy traffic in summer or winter and needed the cooler/warmer air directed elsewhere quickly without removing my hands from the wheel. Not a big deal either, but it is different.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gortty I just now saw this - do you still need my .ab file? I think I should have it still but I did change computers so I'll have to look.

On another note, I no longer have my Edge and if anyone is interested, my kit is for sale on eBay - I think provided what is all included compared to the others it's a pretty fair deal. Not looking to make a killing off of it like others. Hopefully this not against forum rules to share but if so mods feel free to remove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192302330993?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

So, all you need to do is load the as built data onto the new APIM and your good to go?

In which case, you can get your car specific as built file here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

If only it were that easy! Unfortunately, even inputting your own AB data from that website will not get Sync 3 to fully work. Some of the values just don't carry over from Sync 2 AB data to Sync 3 - however, I think using your own AB data is a good start. I spent a lot of time comparing values from my 2012's AB data and values from a 2017 Edge equipped exactly the same as mine (albeit with heated steering wheel and cooled seats) and managed to eventually tweak it enough to be 100% compatible. It takes trial and error though.

In todamgood4U's case, his Edge already has all the same options mine did, so he did not need to program anything when he got it. It was completely plug and play. But in most cases, you will need to tweak the AB data to get everything working 100%.

• Like 1