Sync 3 Installed in a 2012 Limited

• 3 months later...

I'm 90% sure we're going to buy a 2013 or 2014 Edge.  It will definitely come with leather and the larger screen so upgrading to Sync 3 should be good.  

Considering buying Ford ESP PremiumCARE on the vehicle.  

I know people have been denied engine repairs because someone put new intakes or exhaust or whatever engine mods, then put them back before service, and get denied for obvious reasons.

But, it seems this mod most likely wouldn't cause a failure or something to not be covered, but it seems like a big risk with this type of warranty.  Could just return things to stock, but...

Has this come up for anyone with this mod?

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody! Please help a teammate from Russia. I have Edge 2014, it did not have Sync installed at all, the simplest configuration is; (; (SE). I bought the wiring as it was missing, the dashboard from the Sport version, and Sync 3 with the Sony panel. Everything is installed connected everything works. But I can't configure the Sync 3 - APIM module to work correctly, if I enter the codes that are in this topic, everything starts working but there is no Russian language and navigation is very stupid. Where can I change the country or language packs in the APIM module?

Edited by powersound2007

Hello All..

I'm want to upgrade my Sync 2 radio to Sync 3

In my Edge Sport 2011

My question is which years is better to get the APIM Module..??

2017-2018 ??

I read something about the first version modules around 2016 came with problem and read about some 2019 modules K and L series

Ford has started using the newest "K series" or "L series" APIM modules. K/L series APIM modules have added data blocks for programming that the older 2016-2018 

So the 2019 K or L modules can't been programmed?????

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 5:29 PM, candurin said:

I have to rehash this thread.

Has anyone that has done this still have all the source options listed under entertainment in the IPC?

Ever since Ive done this, I only have AM/FM, Sirius and CD.

My USB 1, USB 2, BT Stereo are all missing.

For the life of me, I cannot them to display. However, if I plug in my iPod (yeah, I still have one) it displays the songs in the IPC. But, if I then switch to radio or Sirius, its no longer able to be selected from the IPC (it is still not recognized as an attached device).

Hello Candurin, 

by any chance did you find a solution for this..?

i just change to sync 3 in my edge sport 2011 and have the same like you in the IPC , the radio, sirius and cd , did you figured it out how to add the usb and BT stereo??

20200308_210528.jpg.2c63a34ec4eb6f38b10e6716e71c217a.jpg

Edited by Jseda

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am new to the Ford Edge and was looking into doing this sync 2 to sync 3 as my first mod on this 2013 Edge SEL.

I have a used sync 3, but after plugging it in, nothing turns on, just a black screen. The right side of the dash, next to the speedo, says 'temporarily lost communication with the touch screen'. And when I connect forscan, it does not find any apim modules. 

When I plug in my original sync 2, everything works, including the dash. And when I plug in forscan, it shows the apim modules. 

Is this normal or did I get a dead apim?

Thanks for any and all assistance. 

6 minutes ago, Scarrz said:

Hi, I am new to the Ford Edge and was looking into doing this sync 2 to sync 3 as my first mod on this 2013 Edge SEL.

I have a used sync 3, but after plugging it in, nothing turns on, just a black screen. The right side of the dash, next to the speedo, says 'temporarily lost communication with the touch screen'. And when I connect forscan, it does not find any apim modules. 

When I plug in my original sync 2, everything works, including the dash. And when I plug in forscan, it shows the apim modules. 

Is this normal or did I get a dead apim?

Thanks for any and all assistance. 

You said you have a used SYNC3. Is it the just the screen, or screen and APIM? At the very minimum your SYNC 3 screen should have powered up. Since you said that the screen is black and will not power on and FORScan indicates that the APIM is not detected, it really looks like you may have a dead screen.

My first suggestion would be to hook up your SYNC3 screen, and try resetting it.

Thanks for the quick reply. 
yes, I got the apim and screen together. 

I am neebie to this forscan stuff. I thought the sync3 upgrade was just plugging it in, power it up, then change a few things in the apim module (as-built). When I put this new-to-me sync3 module and screen in, then powered it up, the screen is black, and the dash shows no comm to the screen. And forscan does not show any apim modules.

so, forscan needs to have the screen function in order to find the apim? Okay, How do you test or reset the sync3 screen?

Thanks again.

Hmm, looks like I might be sending this unit back to the seller.  Bummer, was hoping to have apple car play for the wife. 

If it helps, here's a quick video of it.  

Edited by Scarrz

Thanks. I have the new usb hub, wire connector, and gps antenna. After connecting it a couple times, just left them off on the vid. 
Am guessing something is defective. 
Figured I’d check the collective knowledge here, hoping it might be something easy. Looks like I’ll be sending this one it back.

thanks guys. 

1 minute ago, Scarrz said:

Thanks. I have the new usb hub, wire connector, and gps antenna. After connecting it a couple times, just left them off on the vid. 
Am guessing something is defective. 
Figured I’d check the collective knowledge here, hoping it might be something easy. Looks like I’ll be sending this one it back.

thanks guys. 

Sounds like you have everything you need for a successful SYNC3 conversion. Apart from the faulty SYNC3 screen and APIM. Once the seller sees the video there is no way he can refute your claim. He should replace the unit or refund you.  You also need to have your APIM programmed for your edge.  JMR061 can assist with it, if you can't sort it out.

• 3 weeks later...