Sync 3 Installed in a 2012 Limited

• 1 month later...

I have to rehash this thread.

Has anyone that has done this still have all the source options listed under entertainment in the IPC?

Ever since Ive done this, I only have AM/FM, Sirius and CD.

My USB 1, USB 2, BT Stereo are all missing.

For the life of me, I cannot them to display. However, if I plug in my iPod (yeah, I still have one) it displays the songs in the IPC. But, if I then switch to radio or Sirius, its no longer able to be selected from the IPC (it is still not recognized as an attached device).

• 2 weeks later...

And done... programming was a lot easier than I thought.

I'll add some pictures and programming steps when I have some time to sit at my desk and do so.

Programming was a mix of taking my as built data and taking some from a similarly built 2017 edge (basically everything from 7D0-04-01 onwards is from a new car).

When I first did the programming, my speedo was way off! Fixed by adding whee ticks and tire size from a 2017 with 20" wheels.

Enjoying car play, although I'm sure I'ld like android auto even more (Waze!).

Edit:

Use this document to explain what values you need to change in for scan: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/edit#gid=815852466

Use this site to find your existing vehicle (use VIN number) asbuilt data file *.ab): https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt

When using forscan, enter in all the values for 7D0-01-01 through 7D0-04-02 using your current vehicle asbuilt data (they are all factory values for the SYNC 2 system in your car). Some of these values will be changed using the information found within the F150 (no, it's not specific to that model) document I linked to in order to make your car's SYNC 2 APIM profile more in line with the SYNC 3 requirements (it will make sense when you look at the excel sheet under the APIM tab).

The entries you put in for APIM programming under blocks 7D0-05-01 - 7D0-07-04 will have come from a 2016 or 2017 edge (whichever car you choose make sure it has SYNC 3) as the SYNC 2 system did not use these blocks (SYNC 2 stopped at 7D0-04-02).

All I did was google 2017 edge for sale and went to any site that let me use filters to find a 2017 edge that was similarly equipped as my 2012. Then I copied that VIN number at the Asbuilt site and put those exact numbers in forscan. Make sure the 2017 you pick has the same size tire as your car or else the speedo will be off.

All in all, it was easy to do!

Feel free to ask any questions.

I have a non-nav '13 Edge and buying a '16 sync 3 screen and apim w/o nav. Where did you learn apim coding. Still recommend that method. I've also seen a Focus youtube video where he just uploads the apim data from a '17 sync 3 and is done, not using any of the original car data? There are some offering to do the programming for $95, recommendation on which is better. I've used your method and compiled the data and ready to install when salvage part arrives. Just don't want to make a wrong move and brick it. Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Edited by swrstock

You cant really brick it. You just would have an undesired result. You can always change it.

There are plenty of FORScan code spreadsheets around.

If your hesitant at all, the $100 to have it pre-programmed isnt a terrible idea.

Really you want your cars existing as built data and a 2017, similarly equipped Ford Edge, as built data.

You would make a comparison of both, while referring to the FORScan spreadsheets. Its not hard once you give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my 14 Edge SEL to Sync 3 using a screen, acm and apim from 2018 Flex (NAV of course). Thru some trial and error I have been able to get everything configured to work correctly. I used the motorcraft website to download several .ab files .The one that worked as a good starting point for me was from a 16 Edge similarly equipped. I have noticed that none of the settings from the stock .ab file from the 16 edge "jive" with those laid out in the many available Forscan spreadsheets. One thing I don't have figured out yet is how to get the MY TEMP button on the screen and how to eliminate the REAR controls. I've tried many variations but the possible combinations seem endless. Does anybody have advice? Also notice my APIM has an 8th block?1?!

Here's my settings

;Block 1
7D00101 2221 0503 0B2F
7D00102 0283 0000 0A69
;Block 2
7D00201 5553 0104 40C7
7D00202 8200 0000 005D
7D00203 0005 E1
;Block 3
7D00301 0000 0002 00DD
;Block 4
7D00401 0100 1100 0AF8
7D00402 0001 DE
;Block 5
7D00501 1BA3 1B9B 2B7C
7D00502 C5A3
;Block 6
7D00601 805E
;Block 7
7D00701 0A00 3300 001C
7D00702 0000 0EF9 00E7
7D00703 0056 5684 0011
7D00704 694B
;Block 8
7D00801 0000 0000 00E0
7D00802 0000 0000 00E1
Edited by MIguy

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and relatively new to my vehicle, and Im hoping to get some precise info on a project I want to start. I have a 2015 Edge Titanium, and I want to replace the MyFord Touch with the necessary hardware to:

- Add Sync 3 compatibility

- retain all current integration with MyFord Touch (I.e.: steering wheel controls, instrument cluster integration, etc)

My current research concludes that I will need to source the following:

- a touchscreen/info display from a 2016+ Edge

- a Sync 3 APIM module with Nav (vehicle specific?)

- Sync 3/CarPlay compatible USB hub

Are there any other specific parts I will need in order to retain all functionality, while adding Sync 3?

Thanks, and looking forward to learning more from the community here.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently did the conversion to sync 3 on my 2013 Edge. Thought about doing the programming for the APIM on my own, but ultimately decided to pay a pro to be sure is was right. Very glad I did as the programming I thought would be correct was close, but I was off on many numbers/values.

I highly recommend contacting Dan at DanMc8510@Gmail.com if you want it done right. He can send you a file to upload via ForScan for a reasonable fee. Well worth it.

It took a lot of work to get the screen/apim module via car-part.com. Many inquiries with no response or high prices. With persistence landed one for $210.

If you are techie and interested in this upgrade, well worth it.

• Like 1

SWRStock. Good job on the screen

There's a free app on the F150 forum called As Built Hacker 2.2. It lets you pull up details about your modules and deciphers the available options based on your VIN. It's a good starting point. I think it would have made things a little easier when I was looking for Forscan values.

I can also post my Forscan settings too for my 2011 limited if that helps people here.

With your SYNC 3 programming, does your IPC cluster (to the right of the steering column), still list BT, USB 1, etc. under your entertainment options?

Ive been very happy with my SYNC 3 system.

One thing to note, make sure if youre connected to CarPlay and any map application (Waze, maps, etc.) that your speedometer is displayed correctly as your phone will use the SYNC 3 GPS when connected to CarPlay. Ive noticed that mine is a bit off after installing sync 3.

and here's my final APIM programming:

7D0-01-01 2A21 8002 012B

7D0-01-02 0283 0006 0A77
7D0-02-01 5753 0B04 C0D3
7D0-02-02 0240 8000 005D
7D0-02-03 0005 E1
7D0-03-01 004E 0002 002B
7D0-04-01 0100 0300 09E9
7D0-04-02 0001 DE
7D0-05-01 1BA3 1B9B 2B7C
7D0-05-02 C5A3
7D0-06-01 805E
7D0-07-01 0800 3300 001A
7D0-07-02 0000 186A 0062
7D0-07-03 0056 5686 0013
7D0-07-04 7052

Edited by candurin
  • Like 2

I am getting a GPS signal error (red circle with diagonal line over the letters GPS). Nav still works no problem. Anyone else get that error with the GPS antenna located in the dash behind the screen on the metal cross member? Wondering if my antenna is bad or location is bad or this is normal due to location?

Thanks for your input.

I was getting that when I had the antenna closer to the front of the dash. Since I moved mine as far back as I could on the cross member I haven't had this issue. I originally thought it might be the antenna itself so swapped the one I used on my F150 which has worked without issue for a year and it had the same issue.

Also sometimes when it would work it was inaccurate. Relocating it as I stated above I've had no issues for the past 4 days.

I am getting a GPS signal error (red circle with diagonal line over the letters GPS). Nav still works no problem. Anyone else get that error with the GPS antenna located in the dash behind the screen on the metal cross member? Wondering if my antenna is bad or location is bad or this is normal due to location?

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I found an APIM module and touchscreen from a 2016 explorer (APIM# db5t-14f239-ar, Touchscreen# db5t-18b955-FC) and wanted to see if y'all could confirm that these units will work for my 2015 Edge Titanium conversion. I also wanted to see if anyone knows if this APIM has the nav built-in.

Thanks y'all

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332546105022(link to the unit I bought)

From what I can see, you have just the screen in that auction. If for some reason it does include the APIM, it is a non-Nav version (based on the one screenshot that shows a screen without Navigation).

Other bad news... the F-150 screen is a standard (non-recessed) screen that will not fit the Ford Edge without using modified brackets (another member had 3D printed their own custom brackets).

Edited by candurin

So_Edgy - Candurin is right that the SB screen is the non-recessed on the sides.

I put an overview of the details I found out while searching for APIMs and Screens in the following post Sync 3 Overview

Looking online it looks like the brackets are completely different than my 2011 Edge for your 2015. It looks like they bolt to the top and bottom of the screen versus the sides. This is just from looking online so I can't speak for sure. You may be able to make a bracket to tie into the top and bottom brackets that mounts to the side of the screen you got. You may also be able to talk to the person you bought it from and see if they have a different model since they are a recycler

4D has some good stuff but it is expensive compared to what you find used. Their hubs and GPS module are over twice the cost from ford and amazon.

If they are all new parts for the screen and APIM then the cost is probably fair. If they are selling you salvaged parts I'd look elsewhere for the screen and APIM. I bought one of their adapters for the hub power and it worked well. I made an adapter on my F150 but didn't want to sacrifice the part from the sync 2 hub this time around on the Edge. This is just my opinion. I could easily justify the Sync 3 upgrade for $500 - $700 based on the cost of a decent aftermarket headset with the same features. Once you start talking $1500 - $2000 though it was harder for me to swallow.

I have a SYNC 3 system installed that I purchased from www.4dtech.com. Go and check out there site

Hi candurin, thanks for the help. I asked the seller to send me the product number, and they said the unit they sent should be 18b955-sc

I may get extraordinarily lucky, all things considered. If it is the right screen, I will have the whole job done, all materials included, for under 500 bucks. Fingers crossed!!