H&R SPORT SPRINGS ON G2 EDGE SPORT

1 hour ago, Live n Misery said:

I'm wondering if everyone used these springs on the stock struts? Because I would like to lower my Edge without worrying about having to upgrade the shocks within a year or two...

Ā 

We've had oursĀ on stock struts & shocks since 2017 without issues and we drag race periodically with it, 2016 Edge Sport...???

Ā 

Note:

We're considering going with the Edge ST struts & shocks...?

Edited by snmjim

2 hours ago, gene328is said:

This might be a silly question, but does lowering an edgeĀ on h&r springs have any negative effect on the suspension components and axle? Ā Or it handles the change well?

Ā 

You have a 2011 I believe from reading your other posts. This thread is about the 2nd Generation Edge (2015+) which completely different, so theĀ results might not be same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 11:19 PM, gene328is said:

This might be a silly question, but does lowering an edgeĀ on h&r springs have any negative effect on the suspension components and axle? Ā Or it handles the change well?

I've had H&Rs on my wife's 2011 SEL for ~40K, installed at ~120k. Ā No issues except some of my front sway bar bushings needed replacement as well.Ā  My crappy Powersteering inline filter leaked on them and caused premature wear.Ā  Pics of it show stock height w/stock rims.Ā  The other is post lowered, with Taurus SHO 19"s (255/50R19s).Ā  Its a perfect improvement.Ā  Good luck!

2011 Stock Height_18s(1).JPG

2011_HnR_19 SHO rims.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 7:44 AM, Live n Misery said:

I'm wondering if everyone used these springs on the stock struts? Because I would like to lower my Edge without worrying about having to upgrade the shocks within a year or two...

Ā 

We did for 2 years without an issue.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently had my 2021 AWDĀ Ford Edge St Line lowered with H&R lowering springs. I drove it for a couple of days but noticed bouncing and swaying so I had my rimsĀ rebalanced and had an alignment done. Prior to lowering it, I put 22ā€ rims on it. Has anyone experienced the bouncing and swaying? It still tends to do it especially at faster speeds on a highway or going around a bend on the highway. Iā€™ve taken it to a few shops but they donā€™t have an answer for me. Can anyone give advise?

16D1FF58-2CD4-4D96-872B-BBD1CC1A030B.jpeg

Ā 

Here it is from the back

490EC4C9-A0F9-4FB9-8601-F76526EF4831.png

A44C4DC4-4B05-4050-BA48-687510C7D6B5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I recently had my 2021 AWDĀ Ford Edge St Line lowered with H&R lowering springs. I drove it for a couple of days but noticed bouncing and swaying so I had my rimsĀ rebalanced and had an alignment done. Prior to lowering it, I put 22ā€ rims on it. Has anyone experienced the bouncing and swaying? It still tends to do it especially at faster speeds on a highway or going around a bend on the highway. Iā€™ve taken it to a few shops but they donā€™t have an answer for me. Can anyone give advise?

Ā 

Ā 

Nope none until my front strut died. I'm not sure what struts and shocks they use on the st-line but it is possible that the shocks and struts used can't handle the drop. My rear shocks also started to leak after less than 10k miles after lowering, so I'd recommend just getting a set of B6's.

Ā 

Bilstein B6 Performance Series Shocks and Struts 2019 FORD EDGE Parts & Accessories | Summit Racing

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 7:33 PM, always on edge said:

I guess Iā€™d argue if the issue is a spring that is not properly seated, the installation wasĀ bad.

Ā 

Think about springs like this - when you buy a new car, do you have to take it to get an alignment 100 miles after youā€™ve driven it off the lot?Ā 

Ā 

To the OP - the ride quality is negligibly less than stock. On ramps and twisties will be a helluva lot more fun with the springs versus without.

Does anyoneā€™s rear springs look like this when on pavement? Does this look normal?Ā I did a post a couple months ago about lowering my brand new Edge and the ride being extremely bouncy like on on a boat. I replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6 Performance shocks just now and it didnā€™t make a difference. Does anyone have advise? Iā€™ve run out of optionĀ 

440F103F-1F3B-40C5-A215-F93171C53029.jpeg

On 3/30/2020 at 9:03 PM, lightning4eva said:

I've had H&Rs on my wife's 2011 SEL for ~40K, installed at ~120k. Ā No issues except some of my front sway bar bushings needed replacement as well.Ā  My crappy Powersteering inline filter leaked on them and caused premature wear.Ā  Pics of it show stock height w/stock rims.Ā  The other is post lowered, with Taurus SHO 19"s (255/50R19s).Ā  Its a perfect improvement.Ā  Good luck!

2011 Stock Height_18s(1).JPG

2011_HnR_19 SHO rims.jpg

Ā 

On 7/29/2021 at 8:58 AM, Fritz said:

16D1FF58-2CD4-4D96-872B-BBD1CC1A030B.jpeg

Ā 

Here it is from the back

490EC4C9-A0F9-4FB9-8601-F76526EF4831.png

A44C4DC4-4B05-4050-BA48-687510C7D6B5.jpeg

Ā 
Does anyoneā€™s rear springs look like this when on pavement? Does thisļ»æļ»æĀ look normal?Ā I did a post a couple months ago about lowering my brand new Edge and the ride being extremely bouncy like on on a boat. I replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6 Performance shocks just now and it didnā€™t makeļ»æĀ a difference. Does anyone have advise? Iā€™ve run out of optionĀ ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

24F35B6D-EBE4-44AF-B214-DD735921E414.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

Ā 

Ā 
Does anyoneā€™s rear springs look like this when on pavement? Does thisļ»æļ»æĀ look normal?Ā I did a post a couple months ago about lowering my brand new Edge and the ride being extremely bouncy like on on a boat. I replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6 Performance shocks just now and it didnā€™t makeļ»æĀ a difference. Does anyone have advise? Iā€™ve run out of optionĀ ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

24F35B6D-EBE4-44AF-B214-DD735921E414.jpeg

Ā 

Yep, mine look exactly the same. Are you finding there is alot of suspension travel when you hit bumps or are you just feeling more bumps?

Smooth is subjective. I feel more bumps but it takes them alot better. Feels more planted to the road is probably the best description.Ā 

Ā 

Do you still have the stock rims and tires? maybe you've got a bad rim? In a post above you said it is still bouncing and swaying did it do it before lowering it but after putting the rims and tires on? Are you sure the springs are seated right on the rubber mounts in the back? Are the tops of the front struts aligned properly?Ā this can easily be overlooked, it will sit at a different angle if done wrong speaking from experience, the can't just be thrown on any which way and be tightened onto the spring.

2 hours ago, Perblue said:

Smooth is subjective. I feel more bumps but it takes them alot better. Feels more planted to the road is probably the best description.Ā 

Ā 

Do you still have the stock rims and tires? maybe you've got a bad rim? In a post above you said it is still bouncing and swaying did it do it before lowering it but after putting the rims and tires on? Are you sure the springs are seated right on the rubber mounts in the back? Are the tops of the front struts aligned properly?Ā this can easily be overlooked, it will sit at a different angle if done wrong speaking from experience, the can't just be thrown on any which way and be tightened onto the spring.

I bought my edge and the next day put the 22ā€ rims on. Drove it for a week Until my H&R Springs and it rode like a brick because of the 22ā€™s but still nice and smooth.Ā 
Ā 

took it to a friend of mines shop and he looked like he rushed it. From then on itā€™s been bouncing. Had the rims rebalanced and had an alignment done. Today I put my 20ā€ stock rims on but after I read your message, I took the back end apart and took the springs out and put them back in to make sure they were done right. A majority of the bounce is coming from the ass end.Ā 
Ā 

iā€™ll take it on the highway tonight to see if the factory tires make a difference. Itā€™s a shame to have spent all that money on the shocks and installation to pay more money again to have them taken off and then iā€™m stuck with $550 springs (thatā€™s what it cost me to get them to Toronto) and paying $500 on top of Thats to have my old ones stock springs put on.Ā 
Ā 

no one seems to be having this issue in this thread so it canā€™t be the actual springs themselves. I even replaced the rear shocks and seemed to have wasted $350 as it didnā€™t help. Every mechanic here doesnā€™t want to get involved with performance suspension, I guess for this reason.Ā 

Unfortunately about all else I can recommend is to try loosening the sway bar links with weight on the tire and tighten them back up. Sometimes the bushings end up with too much pressure on them after lowering and need to settle better and can cause swaying and darting.

Ā 

You could call h&r, I did to have them answer any questions I had and support seemed to be really good. I would definitely recommend that before swapping back. I know with mine I can hit wash board gravel roads and big dips in roads and there is no sway and maybe one rise of the suspension and it settles right down, it is far superior to the stock setup when it's working.

Ā 

Did you go wider for tires? You may be experiencing tracking to do wider rubber, wouldn't explain the extreme bouncing though. I am unfamiliar with your rims but do they have the right center bore? If not did you use hub centering rings?

Edited by Perblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Perblue said:

Unfortunately about all else I can recommend is to try loosening the sway bar links with weight on the tire and tighten them back up. Sometimes the bushings end up with too much pressure on them after lowering and need to settle better and can cause swaying and darting.

Ā 

This is good advice. When I did the 1 1/2" drop on my Mustang it road like a 3/4 ton. I ended up loosening the control arm, sway bar end link and the pan hard bar bolts with the suspension under static load and then tightened everything back up. The ride was much more compliant after that.

I donā€™t know much about suspension or what you guys are talking about so I apologize for my stupid question lol , iā€™m assuming this has to be done with the tires off? Or can I have access to all of this from going under? Was your mustang bouncing like a boat?Ā