Air Filter

normkol

I bought an air filter for my 2016 2.0L EcoBoost from Rock Auto. It's a Hastings.

There are two slabs of styrofoam glued to the bottom of the filter, I've never seen anything like that before.

I haven't removed the original Motocraft yet, but is this correct?

I'll be changing mine in a couple of weeks and will look out for the fit issue.

In NY, you have to get your car inspected by a private station, I'll be going back to the dealer. They love to change the air and cabin filter and charge crazy prices.

I always change those before going, it saves at least $100 from letting them do it.

Wow, you rwally like to push the envelope lol.

According to the study that posted here a little while ago, a clogged air filter won't significantly affect fuel economy, but it can hurt acceleration by 6% to 11%. Yours may not be clogged, but I would have pulled it and cleaned the bugs out at 30k.

I change mine every year, whether it needs it or not. Cheap and easy to do.

• Like 2

AEM DryFlow air filter here. Just take it out, clean it, pop it back in when doing and oil change. I use to take a company car to a Goodyear shop for service. Each time they'd come into the waiting area and tell me that the air filter needed changing. No thanks, I don't need a $35 air filter. NOT TO DISPARAGE GOODYEAR SERVICE - I've used them many times but you just need to be aware of what things actually cost.

• Like 1

Wow, you rwally like to push the envelope lol.

According to the study that posted here a little while ago, a clogged air filter won't significantly affect fuel economy, but it can hurt acceleration by 6% to 11%. Yours may not be clogged, but I would have pulled it and cleaned the bugs out at 30k.

I change mine every year, whether it needs it or not. Cheap and easy to do.

I am actually running my filter without cleaning it for a specific purpose and reason. I follow all pids on maf and operation monitoring it. Once I do clean it I will then have back up information to bounce the before and after results.

• Like 1

"Up to 82% increase in airflow". <shock>

So how are they achieving this? By being more porus, I would guess. And if it's more porus, it doesn't trap the smallest of particles, those that will eventually scour the cylinder walls and pollute the oil faster.

So exactly how is this filter better than OEM, where Ford has spent an abnorment amount of time studying the best filter to use, to offer the best compromise between engine protection, fuel economy, oil pollution and performance?

And they claim justification for charging $62 for their filter, that you can wash it out and reuse it. Three times! First of all that's about the same price as using 3 OEM filters, that you simply throw away.

Then there's the questionable use of mechanically cleaning a filter and reusing it. Does the very act of cleaning weaken the substrate? Are you certain to remove all the particles of grit? How much degretation has taken place through use and cleaning?

I've said it before, you cannot get better (all things considered) than the OEM filter. And K&N filters were designed for racing, not street use. They will work, so will removing the air filter and running without one. (But at what cost)?

Edited by enigma-2

Enigma, I luv' ya' buddy, but what the heck does 'abnorment' mean?

At any rate... I just like the idea of not having to buy a filter. My AEM DryFlow was $30, the Ford FA-1884 OEM filter runs anywhere from $15-$20 at AZ, O'R, or Advance. So it pays for itself after 2-3 uses. And the AEM is very well made, quite sturdy, and will handle years of use and cleaning cycles with little or no degradation. I used one on my '98 Explorer for years and it was still filtering fine when I sold it. It filters at least as good as the Ford OEM even after numerous cleanings. <- That is, of course, my simple speculation after observation as I have no empirical data on that. But, even after years of use and many times cleaning it with the recommended fluids, every time I pulled it from the air box the intake side of the filter was dirty but the air box/MAF intake tube was clean as a whistle w/ no dust. Clean it, pop it back in, and good to go! Works for me!

• Like 2