Air Filter

normkol

OEM being the best is about the same as saying "military grade" when describing a product. that shit goes to the lowest bidder, not the bidder with the best product.

Nick

If you saw the facilities that make the equipment you are using you may change your mind. I have several that make the military equipment that you use and is in the air craft. Each part is milled from high grade aluminum and other metals on multi million dollars machines. Coatings, are formulated according to military requirements and each step of the process the employees have computer screens with QA instructions and verification steps. The final products are micro metered and measured. If i could i would send you some photos of the processes. If you walked through these facilities I think you would have a better understanding.

• Like 1

Nick

If you saw the facilities that make the equipment you are using you may change your mind. I have several that make the military equipment that you use and is in the air craft. Each part is milled from high grade aluminum and other metals on multi million dollars machines. Coatings, are formulated according to military requirements and each step of the process the employees have computer screens with QA instructions and verification steps. The final products are micro metered and measured. If i could i would send you some photos of the processes. If you walked through these facilities I think you would have a better understanding.

I spent 2010-late 2014 testing new fielding equipment for the Army. The number one issue with all things was "can we get it cheaper somewhere else"

military grade, just means it made to break so the contractor can rape more money out the DOD

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 2

I worked for many years at a defense contractor (Hughes Aircraft Co.) in So Cal. (Chef is a second career.) We made some pretty high quality stuff; the HMD-22 Console, NADGE and GEADGE systems, and AIM54 A/A missile system among others. They were big budget defense contracts and this was the mid 80's when Reagan was in and we were racing the Commies in the cold war. We didn't think low bid. We thought about making the biggest, baddest, widget we could. And a big DOD contract was the gravy train.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went to Napa to get a new air filter and the one they found in their system for my 2015 wasn't even close in size. They then searched for a 2016 and found what appears to be the right dimensions but their filter has a layer of cotton on the bottom of it (similar to what was mentioned earlier about a pre-filter) but the stock filter doesn't have this cotton at all. I've never seen a filter like the Napa one before.

My stock filter has lines of glue on it in the same area where the Napa filter has the cotton glued on but no cotton.

I changed my air filter and found, like you, the OEM has the lines of glue but nothing attached.

I installed the Hastings filter with the styrofoam and had to press pretty hard to get the housing to clamp together, but it did come together. The car is running fine.

I was curious so I ordered an OEM Motorcraft from Rock Auto. Lo and behold, the replacement Motorcraft has what you call a pre-filter, just like the Hastings.

Now I'm curious if perhaps that pre-filter separated from the main filter and is still in the housing. That would explain the lines of glue on the original filter.

One day I have to open it up and take a look. No urgency, the car is running fine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, macbwt said:

Every shop says "your filter is dirty time to change it" I say put it back and keep your dirty paws off my filter. 80K miles on filter and never changed or cleaned

80K sounds pretty high. It all depends on the type of roads you travel. If in doubt, check it yourself. Just take out your filter and hold a light behind it. If you can see the light through the filter, then air can flow. If the light is blocked it's probably time to change your filter.