http://www.autonews.com/article/20170613/OEM11/170619917/iihs-study-finds-just-2-of-37-suv-headlights-rate-good

The Ford Edge was another model that received a poor rating for its lack of visibility.

CbUsQvB.png

Ford Edge rated as pretty terrible.

Its amazing, I have the same bulbs in my Impreza as the Edge, but my Impreza lights up the whole road. My Edge is like trying to light my way with a potato.

I see there are a few threads about HID conversions, but has anyone just tried sticking a H9 bulb in there? It's the same bulb as the H11, just more wattage.

Edited by foghelmut

I agree, I have a 2016 EDGE SEL and the headlights are terrible. Is this H9 bulb you suggest a drop in alternative? Did you try it? I would like to do something without spending a lot of money on this car, as I really don't love it and am not sure how long we will keep it. Also how much cost and work is involved with these conversion kits you mentioned?

The H9 bulb has the same dimensions as the H11, but it won't fit the H11 plug. You'll have to either get an adapter cable or shave the H9 socket. There are instructions online available. It's the same filament but a higher wattage, so you get a brighter light at the expense of a shorter lifespan.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

LED bulbs are garbage. OEM manufacturers don't use them, they use individual LEDS positioned in a specific reflectors. LED bulbs have been reported to be not as bright as standard Halagen's.

The Best bulbs in a Halagen reflector are Phillips VisionPlus bulbs. Here's what I used in my MKX. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TNMMZ8Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oGT3zbBMFWB8A

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just replaced both low and high beams original light bulbs with Philips X-Treme Vision and didn't notice any improvement. I took before/after pictures in darkness, and if it wasn't for the pictures' time stamps, I wouldn't be able to tell which one's which.

Edited by sylvainm

I just replaced both low and high beams original light bulbs with Philips X-Treme Vision and didn't notice any improvement. I took before/after pictures in darkness, and if it wasn't for the pictures' time stamps, I wouldn't be able to tell which one's which.

What brand/model bulbs were you replacing?

Edited by enigma-2

I ended up putting in the H9 bulbs in. The 65w is much brighter than the standard 55w, and the light actually fills out the field width. The projector lenses keep the light from causing any excess glare or unnatural patterns. Now the headlights are almost as bright as my Subaru with standard H11 bulbs. This is just a poor headlight housing design on these Fords.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My LED lights are Philips chips.

Six posts and every one is about the same scam artist LED bulb website.

LED lights have potential but without extensive real world testing they are mostly over-hyped and not practical. There are a few that can work reasonably well but they are much more than $59.95 per pair and they don't promise impossible levels of output.

H9 is the most compatible upgrade from H11 since it increases light output without any significant change to the bulb design other than the filament (yes, you have to shave a tab in the connector to make it fit). The difference is noticeable - about a 45% increase in output - but it still might not be enough depending on your situation.

At this point a good HID conversion kit would be the next step up. A good HID kit will give you a little over twice as much light output as the H11 but it means spending $150 or more for a name brand like Morimoto or Diode Dynamics - not a $35 kit from DDM Tuning or ebay. And it involves some lighting system modification, often requiring dust cap changes and relay kits.

• Like 3

Any issues with installing H9 bulb 65w, it will overload the electric wiring or wiring is OK?

My only concern about heat and load produced by using H9 65w.

A little over a year ago I remember reading some reports about this hotter bulb causing crazing and fogging on the inside of the housing. Wasn't an Edge or MKX, (forget which brand it was) but the thread had two or three reporting same problem. Never read anyone reporting this on an a Edge housing however.

My 2017 halogen lamps are terrible. I did a lot of research on line and everything I read is the LED are junk. I just purchased an HID kit today from Lightwerkz Global Inc. They highly recommended these https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/components/hid-ballasts/35w-2a88-hylux-canbus-ballasts.htmlwith these lamps https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/components/hid-bulbs/h-series/nhk-h11.html Other websites also recommended these. There supposed to be easy to install, plug and play. I may need to get a couple of the rubber boots that go on the back of the housing just so I don’t have to cut the originals. I just have to figure out the size. Does anyone know what size this is https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211304359833395&set=pcb.479072962489064&type=3&theater&ifg=1 I’m looking to purchase these TJTECH 80mm Rubber Housing Seal Cap for Headlight Install HID Conversion Kit Retrofit, Headlight Dust Cover for LED Conversion Kit ,Pack of 2 (80mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFVS492/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_eNvxAbCVA424B

• Like 1