Edge Retrofits - Units "In Storage"

b_derksen

I am wondering if any Oakville plant staff involved with the retrofits can give us a bit of an update? I work at a Ford dealership but we can't get any info from our rep. We are still waiting for our first Edge (sold retail order; SEL+ with BAMR). It was built the week of November 20th with an ETA of the week of December 4th. It went into the storage lot after production. I understand the retrofits are working on a "first in last out" basis. Seeing ours was built in late November, and by December 4th all units were good off the line, in theory it should have been one of the earlier retrofits. The customer waiting for this unit is starting to get very anxious (can't blame her seeing it's 6 weeks past the ETA and we still don't have a real answer for her; her current lease has been getting monthly extensions since last June).

Can somebody involved with the retrofits check what the build dates are on units currently being retrofitted? Also what exactly does the retrofit involve? I have read that it is about a 5 hour job, and involves the Vista Roof and possibly something else.

Hopefully soon we can start getting some allocation. Our 2nd Edge is also a sold retail order and it is just sitting in the order bank not getting scheduled (this customer has also been getting monthly lease extensions since last June). A 3rd customer is just about ready to place an order but was hoping to see our 1st one before he ordered his. At this rate I'm thinking we might see that one by summer time, then hopefully we can still get something built for stock before the 2008's show up!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Any truth to something I heard?

Ford "commandeered" (my word) approx. 1000 Edges for company use. I believe these might have been dealer orders and not retail orders but if the rumor is true, it sucks either way.

Just wondering..............

:angry:

I would not doubt that there are close to 1,000 Ford Edges around here in Dearborn. Whether they were "commandeered" or not I cannot answer. I'll jot over there and see what the window stickers say and report back.

My bet is that Ford ordered these units and wants to aggressively test them - which is a grand idea. Let Ford's employees check them out up and down.

VIN is 2FMDK39C87BA28532

We are in Manitoba, Canada. Other dealers in the area have already received at least 1 Edge. I'm not sure if they were retrofit units or units that just rolled off the line and onto a truck.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

It looks like yours is a vehicle that needs to be retrofitted, so who knows when you'll get it.

Receipt Date: 8/1/2006

Serialize Date: 8/24/2006

Segment Date: 8/28/2006

Sequence Date: 11/10/2006

Blend Date: 11/10/2006

Produced Date: 11/30/2006

Gate Release Date:

Ship Date:

Arrival Date:

Sold Date:

I don't work at Oakville, but I'm not even sure you can track a retrofitted Edge until you see a gate release date.

Brian, I can say that you're not getting info from your ZM because there isn't alot of info available. Requests for traces are not being honored by POINT. The retrofits are a five hour process from what the higher ups have told us. The priority is to first get retails handled, then fleet orders, then third dealer stock orders. Due to the thousands and thousands of units being put in storage at different locations, this isn't exactly a quick and easy process.

My number one dealer, who got allocated a number of them has only gotten their first unit in (sold within two hours) much like most of my dealers. My first dealer to sell an Edge was my smallest guy.

And no, units weren't commandeered. But FoMoCo, like any vehicle launch, does put many into service for various company use.

VIN is 2FMDK39C87BA28532

We are in Manitoba, Canada. Other dealers in the area have already received at least 1 Edge. I'm not sure if they were retrofit units or units that just rolled off the line and onto a truck.

Thanks,

Brian

I'll see what I can find out for you tonight.

I understand about the Quality Test Fleet - makes sense.

What I heard was that a specific vehicle - a dealer order that was already sold to a customer pending delivery to the dealership - had been through the retrofit and was now on a list of approx. 1000 vehicles that were not going to go to the dealerships or parties that ordered them but Ford was going to keep them in Canada for company use. I just recently found out about this because I was the lucky person waiting for the specific vehicle to come in. I had never heard of a company doing this before and wondered if it was normal practice since I am not to familiar with this kind of thing. This Edge had the dealer's name on it - not Quality Test Fleet or Ford Motor Credit. Since this Edge isn't coming, I guess I'm going to have to settle for a somewhat different one - different color and AWD not FWD - costing me a little more on the lease.

I guess sometimes when you play by the rules - the rules can change. :angry:

Thanks for the info thus far. I realize Ford is not tracing any of the storage units, that could be a full time job with all the units in storage. As for our zone manager, we have a very good one and I believe him that he has no real answers for us. I was hoping that maybe someone who is involved in the retrofits could check what the build dates are on some of the units being done at this point.

Thanks,

Brian

I hate to say it, but your best bet is to get you deposit back, get a local map and start searching dealer inventories in your general area until you find one you like....

Each of my four closest dealers has about three to four each. However, no dealer in the State of GA seems to have a AWD version. I guess that all of those are going to areas in the snow belts...

I work at the oakville assembly complex and to answer the question about the retro fits,the retrofit is for the rear axle.apparently they were out of spec so ford is replacing the whole rear axles and shipping the defective ones back to the supplier.The axle swap takes approx 45mins to complete.I believe the units are then sent back inside to be quality inspected again and any other issues are then resolved.they are then shipped out.finding a specific unit would be hard as there are numerous holding areas were the unit could be before it is shipped.THERE ARE NO BAMMER ISSUES.

Any truth to something I heard?

Ford "commandeered" (my word) approx. 1000 Edges for company use. I believe these might have been dealer orders and not retail orders but if the rumor is true, it sucks either way.

Just wondering..............

:angry:

:headscratch:

Where did you hear this? :headscratch:

and why the angry face?............... :finger:

As of today, our 1st unit is still "In Storage". Does anybody from the plant know if the retrofits are close to being done? I don't know how much longer this customer's patience will last (they ordered it at the beginning of August and know it was built in November). I can't blame them for not being able to understand why it is taking so long. This customer was so excited about the Edge and had already decided to order one when it was confirmed the Edge was going from concept to production.

Thanks,

Brian

As of today, our 1st unit is still "In Storage". Does anybody from the plant know if the retrofits are close to being done? I don't know how much longer this customer's patience will last (they ordered it at the beginning of August and know it was built in November). I can't blame them for not being able to understand why it is taking so long. This customer was so excited about the Edge and had already decided to order one when it was confirmed the Edge was going from concept to production.

Thanks,

Brian

I believe all units have been corrected..but some still need to go back through the "rolls" test..this is supposed to be completed this weekend or next.

I believe all units have been corrected..but some still need to go back through the "rolls" test..this is supposed to be completed this weekend or next.

Charly, have you heard anything new? Ours is still in storage and now our Ford rep is suggesting it might be another 3-4 weeks. This unit will be over 3 months old by the time it arrives.

Thanks,

Brian

Charly, have you heard anything new? Ours is still in storage and now our Ford rep is suggesting it might be another 3-4 weeks. This unit will be over 3 months old by the time it arrives.

Thanks,

Brian

Virtually all units have been retrofitted..there may still be some that need to be re-rolled but they are NOT in storage...all units are on site.

Have you got a VIN # ?

Or cancel it and start over..