Fluttering Noise from Undercarriage and Dashboad Rattle

@1004ronThis problem isn't limited to 2015 and up. My 2011 had the same fluttering air shields because the pins were loose and rattling in their holes. On inspection, the fender well pins exhibited the same behavior. So when an Amazon package arrived for me with hi-density-poly foam panels, I sliced off 1/4" pieces and made 1"x1" square washers. I popped each of the plastic rivets with one of the body tools that removes them, put the newly minted washers on them and popped them back in.  Luckily it was black foam. No more noises! It took me only 2 years to find where the noise was coming from-LOL.

It's apparent that the new fastening system will not lend itself to my fix, but you might think about winding hi-density foam strips around the string (like a twist tie) before winding the string around the new fastener. It will probably last longer. The foam is pretty robust and stiff. Mine's been fine for nearly 2 years now.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I gave another method a shot after mine started vibrating again. I waited a few weeks before posting so I could test that they have been working for me. Basically I used strips of duct tape to fashion my own washer between the gap. Once I got a good amount of tension I placed a zip tie around the duct tape to keep it secure. It might not be the prettiest or the most proper job, I'm sure foam is a better bet. For me though, this worked great. I figured I would post it for anyone just wanting to try a free fix, I am sure just about everyone has these supplies on hand. 

IMG_0701.jpeg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Besides being a poor design, even after you replace them the problem will come back after an oil change.

After my first oil change this rattle started, went back to the dealer and asked if all the grommets were put back. I was told one was broke and they fixed it, drove the car home same noise... I hate rattles. I bought the 6 pack and replaced the worst one - hard to do on the floor in the garage.  Time for a test drive ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I know I am responding to a quite old thread. But I had a few questions.

So as per the post, I applied some similar fixes. But after some talks and especially Reddit, some people suggested to simply just take it off which I am not quite in favor of.

The other is people simply removed the clips just resting the guard on the 10mm nuts, which I think might work but then I am concerned if that will have adverse, especially when driving at highway speeds.

Can anyone give their opinions?

Thanks!

I wouldn't take the covers off - it offers protection to things like the brake and fuel lines.

I applied the foam washers and new fasteners as per the Tech Bulletin and as I commented in this thread it didn't silence it for long.

I recently used zip ties and the buckle of the ties keeps the plastic posts cocked to one side and I believe that's going to keep quiet for longer.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Firstly, I am new to these forums so apologize if I made any mistakes posting this.

So, talking about the concern I have is. I have a highway rattle that occurs due to splash guard or underbody shields that are on both sides of the driver and passenger. I did fix it temporarily applying the idea from the post as mentioned.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/24176-solved-noise-or-rattle-above-40mph/

However, I am looking for a permanent fix. After some talks and Reddit, people suggested taking those splash guards off but I am not sure if I should do it since it kinda protects the metal frame.

But few suggest to take the clips off and leave if rested there by 10mm nuts which I think can work but can anyone suggest if it would be a good idea and if it will not harm anyway in the later run or saying driving at highway speeds.

Thanks!

Edited by 1004ron
Keep it to one thread - same topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@1004ron

Thank you for the idea and I did try your fix but eventually, it has returned again. However, it generally happens when driving around 80mph but the thing is if I paid for a costly car I don't expect it to rattle due to such a bad design.

What would be your advice if I remove the center plastic clips and let them hang on the 10mm retainers?

if I got back into it I'd remove the covers, re-install the plastic parts/posts with sealant on the part that clips into the bodywork, and then use a high density foam rubber on the attachment of the cover to the plastic posts.

Edited by 1004ron

On 12/10/2020 at 4:04 PM, todd92 said:

Has nothing to do with an oil change?  Those long underbody panels are not touched.

True but when the front section of these under body splash guards aren't put back on right or the mechanic that did the oil change cut away some of the splash guard and didn't put all of the fasteners back on correctly then air gets up under the long panels and causes the grommets to come loose and the flapping begins. It has happened to me twice already. I'm thinking about removing them all has anyone else done that?

14 hours ago, Colby said:

True but when the front section of these under body splash guards aren't put back on right or the mechanic that did the oil change cut away some of the splash guard and didn't put all of the fasteners back on correctly then air gets up under the long panels and causes the grommets to come loose and the flapping begins. It has happened to me twice already. I'm thinking about removing them all has anyone else done that?

I took off the front splash guard because it was driving me crazy plus there is no way of attaching the back part of it because the oil change place cut it out to make it easier to change the oil I assume.

20220620_185803~2.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hate to revive such an old thread but this has happened to my wife's Edge ST for the second time now.  First time was under warranty so the dealer replaced the passenger side.  Now it's the back of the driver's side.  (And out of warranty)  Heard it yesterday, found this thread and expected to install a few zip ties on the plastic bits and be done.  Instead, one of the washers and nuts belonging to the back outside metal screws sticking down has come off and is gone.  For the life of me I can't figure out wtf size that metal screw sticking down is to get a properly fitting nut (and washer) to reinstall and thread lock.  Anyone happen to know what nut is needed?

Just to clarify, this the nut for the screw that is sticking downward from the undercarriage toward the ground.  (Along the outside, in this case at the back of the driver's side shield just past the front of the rear driver's side door) The others along the same edge have a nut and washer in place (look metal) but are a bit rusty so I'm hesitant to remove them since they're solidly stuck in place and don't want to cause more problems than already exist.

Edited by MrHappy
  • Like 1

From the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual...

1925139445_UnderbodyShieldFasteners-2019EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.bfaddb2fa3b39afae4e6041c09f9a698.jpg

The stamped sheet metal hex nut is also described online as a speed nut.

I was unable to pick off the fastener part number from FordParts.com, though a dealership parts staffer will likely find it.

On the other hand, providing 1004ron's photo to a local or national-brand auto parts store or hardware store may provide the part quicker and cheaper.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1