G2 Edge Sport- Strut Tower Chassis Bar Brace Ladder Set

I've been reading this thread with interest, bummer about the bolts. I was trying to think of other vehicles that might have longer cam bolts. I guess the liability is the bolt might break if they just weld a cam onto a longer bolt.

Ā 

BTW, I monitored my transmission temp using obdii mx wifi and iPhone. It went to 210! that seems high to me. I was driving up and down a tight mountain road where lots of acceleration and de-acceleration, top speed about 40mph. I think I need to double check the configuration.

Ā 

EDIT: the PID used I believe to be wrong...But now I have found at least 3 PID for tranny temp...so not sure which is the correct one

Edited by NoDTMF

• 3 weeks later...
My 2016 Edge Sport came with a rear sway bar installed. The stock sway bars are fine for the car as is, in my opinion. I have a STB installed, the STB was not show quality and had some polishing flaws that rubbed out with Mothers metal polish very easy. It also showed some flaws where it was bent. Look at "always on edge" posts and you can see what I am talking about . My welds were better than AOE and I had some logos stamped and etched on it . Other than that it works great. So you can get these for a 2016 Edge, but don't expect it to be flawless after all it comes from China. The fact is we don't have a lot of options for these parts so you kind of have to take it or leave it. If you are looking to turn some corners a good set of Summer tires will do wonders for the car. H&R springs will make a major difference in the handling as well. So Summer Tires and H&R springs are the major things the STB helps with the Vista Roof cars.

Ā 

I believe that the best handling Edge is the hard top without the Vista roof. The Vista roof adds weight at the top raising the center of gravity and it allows the body to flex more under hard cornering. The Edge is a well balanced car that can zip through winding canyons with ease it is forgiving, responsive and fun.
  • Like 3

Looking for advice, recommendations and purchase sources for:

Ā 

- Strut Tower Brace

Ā 

- Rear sway bar, perfomance

Ā 

Xtra and I both have the H&R lowering springs, and they make a huge difference in the handling and the stance of the car, check out the pics if you like. Don't worry about it being too stiff either, they are progressive springs so normal driving will feel about the same. These will cost you about $600-$700 including installation. Xtra and I did some SoCal canyon runs together and his scorpion verde all-season Pirelli's were screaming a bit around the tight turns. We also both have the 21" wheels, but I am running the Pirelli P-Zero summer tires and they didn't squeal a bit, its a pretty hard compound. Unfortunately, they are about $400 a tire, so once these are spent, I will be looking for a less expensive summer tire for sure. Although living in Maryland, you may want to stay away from summer rubber, unless you plan to have two set ups. Apart from running a tune, your best performance option is probably the springs. Good luck, there is plenty of info on the forum and plenty of us that are willing to help.

• Like 2

Xtra & roots57

Ā 

Thanks guys for the responsive & direct facts without all the fluff!

Ā 

Definitely gives me some defined focus.

Ā 

I'm a big performance and handling buff, power is useless if you can't control/harness it...;-)

Ā 

I'm an old school "B" Modified class road racer from the 70's ie. Lime rock & Summit...:-)

Ā 

Talk about a major Tech jump...ouch!

Xtra & roots57

Ā 

Thanks guys for the responsive & direct facts without all the fluff!

Ā 

Definitely gives me some defined focus.

Ā 

I'm a big performance and handling buff, power is useless if you can't control/harness it...;-)

Ā 

I'm an old school "B" Modified class road racer from the 70's ie. Lime rock & Summit...:-)

Ā 

Talk about a major Tech jump...ouch!

Ā 

If you really want better all around control, especially after suspension and engine tuning, you may want to consider the Rotora big brake kit. Xtra has this kit on his, and I'm jealous. This will run you a few thousand bucks though. You will notice (if not already) that the brakes are rather inadequate when pushing it. Ford must keep the rotor size down in order to accommodate the clearance needed for the smaller diameter wheels used on lower trim levels. You do have the Edge Sport model, right?

snmjim,

Ā 

You have the info on handling and braking, now as for power look into a Livernois Motor Sports My Calibrator
for around $600. Several members have done this without any adverse affects. If you have the Edge Sport a LMS Tune can make a huge deference. Depending on the tune and the octane of the gas you use it is easy to see an increase of 50HP and 50 Ft Lbs TQ at the wheels or more. No longer do we have to turn a wrench, bust a knuckle and get all dirty to get power. You just plug in a small device and push a button, amazing !
BTW, I road raced a Ultima back in the mid 90's in the South West.
Edited by Xtra

I'll be doing the springs when I put on my next set of skins and the brakes when I finish this set.

Ā 

The tune will be Unleashed Tuning which will be done in the next1-2 Wks of which I'll post the Dyno report on my Intro post like I did today with my stock/baseline Dyno report...;-)

Ā 

And I will be taking into consideration and probably using both of your advise...;-)

Ā 

Yes, mine is a 2016 Sport.

• Like 1

I'll be doing the springs when I put on my next set of skins and the brakes when I finish this set.

Ā 

Ā 

The springs can take time, could take up to 4 to 6 weeks after you order them. If you contact Rotora for Big Brakes tell them Xtra sent you and they might give you a discount.

• 1 month later...

Ā 

The tune will be Unleashed Tuning which will be done in the next1-2 Wks of which I'll post the Dyno report on my Intro post like I did today with my stock/baseline Dyno report...;-)

Ā 

And I will be taking into consideration and probably using both of your advise...;-)

Ā 

Yes, mine is a 2016 Sport.

Ā 

Ā 

Any update on the Tune? I am just starting with unleashed on my 2017. I have to us HP Tuner hardware as SCT has not updated for the 2017 Strategy code.

Yes,

Ā 

We finished the 87 & 93 Octane tunes and now in the process of doing e30... :drool:

Ā 

We're also working with the Dyno manager for scheduling... :rockon:

Ā 

Yeah, you gotta love the less than desirable communications with Torrie... :banghead::hammer_self:

Ā 

If you go to the SCT site they do have the firmware update download for the X4, they did for my 2016 not sure about the 2017... :gaah:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm going to get us back on topic... :drool:

Ā 

Unleashed Tuning & the use of e30 Info I'll be happy to provide under the appropriate topic or PM.

Ā 

Unfortunately or maybe more like fortunately there's not much of a need to provide install instructions on this issue since it is as simple as it gets/appears... :clapping:

Ā 

Basically you attach the left & right mounting brackets to the strut towers using the existing two of the three strut mounting bolts.

Then you attach the cross brace between the left & right mounting brackets connecting the two...da,da, daaaah!... :hat_tip: :hat_tip: :hat_tip:

Ā 

Here are some Pics:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

post-46284-0-07999900-1508263609_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-67189200-1508263612_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-60627600-1508263662_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

Yes,

Ā 

We finished the 87 & 93 Octane tunes and now in the process of doing e30... :drool:

Ā 

We're also working with the Dyno manager for scheduling... :rockon:

Ā 

Yeah, you gotta love the less than desirable communications with Torrie... :banghead::hammer_self:

Ā 

If you go to the SCT site they do have the firmware update download for the X4, they did for my 2016 not sure about the 2017... :gaah:

Ā 

Yeah, Torrie doesn't like talking it seems. I'm using HP Tuner on 91 octane. SCT told me they may never update for 2017 edge :-(

• 4 weeks later...

The strut bar is not doing anything. You're experiencing a placebo effect.

Ā 

The strut bar does not effect wheel hop. Nor would the rear.

Ā 

If the chassis was flexing, that strut bar still would not do anything as it has a pivot point on both sides. strut bars must be solid. Basically all you did was add weight to the already front heavy car.

Ā 

To improve cornering get better tires, springs, better more aggressive alignment, and stiffer sway bars / end links are what you need.

Ā 

Lastly, replacing any suspension bushings with poly bushings will decrease flex but increase ride harshness and nvh.

• Like 1