Recall #17C02 DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE REPLACEMENT

My apologies if this has been posted - I searched but couldn't find any posts on it.

I received the subject recall notice in the mail and would like to hear from others that have had the recall done and if there's any signs that the trim etc. has been worked on.

I'm OK with my local Ford dealership doing it, but want to be sure that my vehicle isn't the first one they do and any of the trim is damaged while doing so - don't want them practising on my car.

Recall #17C02 DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE REPLACEMENT
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #17V123

• Like 1

Was in for service 3 weeks ago. They checked on my recall and said it won't be scheduled for anytime this year. Just too many cars affected and too little airbags.

I doubt you should have any concerns about the fit or finish, these things are designed to be replaced easily.

• Like 1

My 2016 had the airbag module replaced by the dealer before I took delivery a couple months ago. I bought it in April and took delivery in May. I don't see any issues with trim, but the horn doesn't work. I also started getting an adaptive steering fault not long after I took delivery too. I'm still waiting on a replacement part to fix the adaptive steering issue. The dealer that ordered the part said they'll fix the horn when the replacement part arrives.

Too add to the fun, I was out of town for a few weeks and the battery was dead when I got back. I think I struggled more to figure out how to open the door with the key than I did getting the car started. The adaptive steering fault doesn't come up anymore, but now remote start doesn't work.

I don't think the adaptive steering issue is related, but the horn issue might be due to sloppy airbag module replacement. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

I'm hoping all of this can be resolved whenever the part comes in. As much as I like the Edge, I kind of miss simple vehicles.

• Like 1

I am having this recall service scheduled soon, I just got the notice in the mail stating that replacement parts are now available. Anyone else had theirs serviced for this recall yet? I'm curious to see how it turned out and how long it took them.

I'm also keen to hear of others that have had it done before I give them the go ahead, even if they have the parts when I go in for my first service I might chose not to do it then, because I do not want the issues that @Quila reported above.

Edited by 1004ron

I got my letter in the mail and called my dealership the next day. They said they had to order the part. I said, that my letter states the parts are available. She said, yes they are, for us to order them... :doh: Will take two days to arrive at the dealership she says. That was early Wednesday, and as of today, no call from the dealership.

I'm not proud of it and admittedly, this isn't my most rational thinking but I'm not happy with this -

The parts should ALREADY be at the dealership. How many Edges (or affected vehicles) were recalled? As a parts manager, you should be aware of recalls and the affected parts, no? If so, do some simple math (with sales figures obtained from your sales department) and make an initial order of a small percentage of Edges sold from your dealership, say 10%. That way in the early stages of the recall, when customers get that stupid letter, they can take in their vehicle without delay and get it fixed! Be proactive instead of reactive, or is that too much to ask? Maybe my expectations are too high...or maybe it's not me at all. Perhaps customer service is dying. :cry:

I need a hug and a tissue. Thanks for reading.

Rant over.

• Like 1

Mine is going in tomorrow morning for this. When I got my second letter, I called within a week or so and my dealership (Autonation Ford in Torrance, CA) had the parts in stock already. The service guy checked while I was on the phone with him before scheduling my appointment. On Friday I will follow up on this thread with how everything goes.

• Like 3

Mine is going in tomorrow morning for this. When I got my second letter, I called within a week or so and my dealership (Autonation Ford in Torrance, CA) had the parts in stock already. The service guy checked while I was on the phone with him before scheduling my appointment. On Friday I will follow up on this thread with how everything goes.

I'm scheduled for Monday. I will also update when it's completed.

Received second letter, scheduled for Monday 7/10. Will also update after update. Plus New USB 2-Port hub for Apple Car Play to be installed at the same time ($85 labor quote from service advisor - no programming involved - plug & play install). Bought hub at parts department a few weeks ago.

FYI - had new steering wheel installed a few weeks ago to resolve Adaptive Steering fault. No problems so far. Upgraded Synch 3 to 2.2 version to permit Apple Car Apple Car Play and that upgrade went well. But i have noticed when selecting from the steering wheel remote advance channel to the next the next favorite Sirius satellite channel - it sometimes won't advance to the next channel at all. To resolve I turn off/on the radio and that seems to resolve the problem. Prior to 2.2 upgrade, I never experienced this problem.

• Like 1

Have had mine done for a while no issues, also thank god for OBD2 scanners as I had an airbag light a week ago and looked and did not find anything but the thing told me the seat belt was stuck against the seat that I missed causing a tension timeout.

Malcolm

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Sport is going in for the first Ford oil change tomorrow (I did the first one at 5K), and when making the appointment they told me that Ford do not have parts countrywide to do this recall, actually he corrected me and said that its not a recall and called it some kind of advisory notice.

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 weeks later...