Rebuild Cost of Engine

Decojuicer

Yeah, it was kind of expensive, and the post office screwed up the delivery. But I did get the water pump and timing chain replaced today. Now I get to start putting everything back together tomorrow. It's exciting to finally see the end in sight.

Ā 

I'm other good news, my refund finally came through today for the engine that never got delivered. Which is good, because I had to go buy ANOTHER couple of tools today. Lol.

Ā 

Hopefully I'll be driving the car again by next weekend.

• Like 2

I have another quick question that I'll probably find the answer to myself in a few more minutes.

Ā 

When I replaced the water pump, about 1.5 liters of coolant spilled into the oil pan. I've drained all the coolant and let sit for about 45 minutes. Is this something that I should be worried about? Should I pull the oil pan and clean it thoroughly, or is that little bit of coolant not a big deal? Or is there a way to clean it without pulling the pan?

I did some Google searching and the consensus was to change the oil as soon as possible. The water would burn off, but the glycol could be an issue. I put the plug back in and ran a liter or so of water through. If there's coolant at all left, it's probably less than a teaspoon. Once I get the engine back and, and the vehicle running, I'll do an oil change after a couple hundred miles when it's hot.

• Like 1

If you still have the engine on the stand, might even consider opening the oil drain plug and pouring in 5-10 quarts of cheapest 5w20 oil from the top, let it drain out into a catchbasin, then putting in a synblend 5w20 (or Pennzoil conventional 5w20 meeting the ford spec) before even attempting to install/startup the engine.

• Like 2

I'm getting very close to the finish line. The engine is put back together, and the transmission is inches from being back on. I just need another set of hands to help me line it up. I'll also need help when I mount it back in the car. Luckily I have some help coming tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be driving it by Thursday night. I little road trip might be in order, after I get the wheels aligned.

post-46628-0-65505500-1504481264_thumb.jpg

post-46628-0-65263600-1504481485_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The engine is back in!!!

Ā 

One minor problem (of course) - while pushing the engine under the car, I forgot to take the dipstick out and snapped off the head of it. Fortunately, I still have the old one. But getting it out could be a pain. My options are, a.) use a dowel with a bit of super glue on the end and try to pull it out, b.) use a small drill bit and drill into it and try to pull it out, c.) remove the valve cover and pull it out that way. I'm going to try the drill method first.

post-46628-0-41781400-1504652981_thumb.jpg

The engine is back in!!!

Ā 

One minor problem (of course) - while pushing the engine under the car, I forgot to take the dipstick out and snapped off the head of it. Fortunately, I still have the old one. But getting it out could be a pain. My options are, a.) use a dowel with a bit of super glue on the end and try to pull it out, b.) use a small drill bit and drill into it and try to pull it out, c.) remove the valve cover and pull it out that way. I'm going to try the drill method first.

Unfortunately I do not have any helpful suggestions but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of drilling into it and trying to pull it out. How many attempts and how many holes do you drill before it looks like Swiss cheese.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm almost done with this job!! I'm just putting all the wiring back in place, but there are two connections that have me puzzled. The first is a big connector that seems to want to connect between the cooling fan and the engine. That's where it naturally wants to lay. I can't find the other end though. I seriously don't remember taking it off. The second is a thin green wire that seems to go back toward the firewall. I can't find anything to plug it in to. Does anyone have any ideas?

post-46628-0-34390700-1506028141_thumb.jpg

post-46628-0-18720200-1506028254_thumb.jpg

post-46628-0-06624000-1506028285_thumb.jpg

I wanna say the second is possibly a cylinder head temp sensor? But not sure on that.

I Googled that, and it doesn't appear to be that connector. It doesn't have any markings at all, except for the word "push." That leads me to think that maybe it's something aftermarket, like maybe something for the remote starter.

• Like 2