Navigation Update

I don't think Ford has any intention of updating the Sync3 maps. I don't think they have much to do with this personally - I think they've left this up to a third party - and that entity is a bunch of ball droppers. I would not pay for NAV in these units given the choice - considering how the updating has gone here it is NOT worth it - by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think Ford has any intention of updating the Sync3 maps. I don't think they have much to do with this personally - I think they've left this up to a third party - and that entity is a bunch of ball droppers. I would not pay for NAV in these units given the choice - considering how the updating has gone here it is NOT worth it - by any stretch of the imagination.

It does generate some revenue for Ford and I’m sure a lot of folks would update the OEM maps instead of using Waze or something else.

I think they may be having technical issues with the map downloads which they’ve never done before.

It does generate some revenue for Ford and I’m sure a lot of folks would update the OEM maps instead of using Waze or something else.

I think they may be having technical issues with the map downloads which they’ve never done before.

I am one of those folks - I have no interest in any third party app, and even if Ford didn't update my OEM maps I'll live with that.

It does generate some revenue for Ford and Im sure a lot of folks would update the OEM maps instead of using Waze or something else.

I think they may be having technical issues with the map downloads which theyve never done before.

I can't see doing this via a download. The software is on 2 disks, say 1 gig of data. Can you imagine how long a download would take? More likely it will come out on a 2 gig USB memory card.

More likely, the concerns relate to preventing piracy. Update once and sell on ebay. Probably developing a method to link the installation to a single serial number of one ACU and block from use on any other nav unit.

I can't see doing this via a download. The software is on 2 disks, say 1 gig of data. Can you imagine how long a download would take?

I can't see doing this via a download. The software is on 2 disks, say 1 gig of data. Can you imagine how long a download would take?

About 2 minutes & 40 seconds with a 50Mpbs internet connection.

13 minutes & 20 seconds on a 10Mpbs internet connection.

post-41964-0-81081700-1515983179_thumb.png

Edited by lildisco

The updates should be free since we payed ~$800 for the Navigation and a Garmin can be had for $170 with free updates for life. Also on-line I found that Australia and a few other countries get free updates from Ford for 5 years. But a fee of say $50 wouldn't be to bad. I copied the A7 SD card to my computer when I got it for a backup for my 2014 Ford Taurus and the folder size is 14.5GB. Don't know why so large as the Garmin data file is only 4GB.

They shouldn't be having Technical problems with downloading the Sync3 has been out for 3 model years already. If they can't fix their software then just let a High School or College Nerd have at it and it would be done in a day or so, Ford should at least tell us when there will be an update and how to get it.

Does anyone know what navigation revision is in the 2018 vehicles? My 2017 is NA 1 15.

Edited by FordGuy1

The only car I have ever owned where I actually liked and used the navigation that the car came with was my 2016 Audi A4 and only because it used Google Maps that was displayed in the instrument cluster (Audi Virtual Cockpit is amazing). Sync 3 is a fantastic platform and I dont think it should be slated because the maps on it is out of date. I think if there wasnt another option for navigating with the system it would a reason to complain but there are 2 (3 if you count Android Auto and Carplay seperate) other ways now to get latest maps on the unit:

1. Android Auto\Carplay

2. Applink - just install Waze on Sync 3 (on your phone first and then sync the app to the car), have the latest maps, speed limits, traffic and police warnings right on Sync 3 without using Android Auto or Carplay

The only car I have ever owned where I actually liked and used the navigation that the car came with was my 2016 Audi A4 and only because it used Google Maps that was displayed in the instrument cluster (Audi Virtual Cockpit is amazing). Sync 3 is a fantastic platform and I dont think it should be slated because the maps on it is out of date. I think if there wasnt another option for navigating with the system it would a reason to complain but there are 2 (3 if you count Android Auto and Carplay seperate) other ways now to get latest maps on the unit:

1. Android Auto\Carplay

2. Applink - just install Waze on Sync 3 (on your phone first and then sync the app to the car), have the latest maps, speed limits, traffic and police warnings right on Sync 3 without using Android Auto or Carplay

There is reason to complain, the ~$800 we had to pay for the Sync3 Navigation sucks since it's out of date when you get your vehicle and there is no way to get the maps updated. Those other methods you suggest would only be partly acceptable if Ford were to pay each of us back the $800. They eat up your data and they don't work if you lose cell service. Also the Waze app doesn't yet work with applink until Ford comes out with a software update, good luck with that any time soon since they can't even figure out the simple update to the outdated maps. I also would bet that the Waze app will only work on the newest vehicles that have the "connect" hardware in them.

I guess i'm just old fashion and I like getting what I payed for and not having to use something else since what I payed for doesn't work.

Edited by FordGuy1
  • Like 1

About 2 minutes & 40 seconds with a 50Mpbs internet connection.

13 minutes & 20 seconds on a 10Mpbs internet connection.

Using a DVD it still takes an hour to install. There are a lot of factors concerning a WiFi connection, noise can slow a connection way down, distance from the router, construction, etc.

It would be nice, but I would question that these speeds are practical in real world.

But they intend to update via wireless for sync, so who knows?

Edited by enigma-2

Using a DVD it still takes an hour to install. There are a lot of factors concerning a WiFi connection, noise can slow a connection way down, distance from the router, construction, etc.

It would be nice, but I would question that these speeds are practical in real world.

But they intend to update via wireless for sync, so who knows?

I'm in the wifi business & understand the concerns. These are probably best case scenario, but i would imagine adding an additional minute or 2 wouldn't be out of the question. My point being, it's NOT going to take you hours to download 1 Gig of data. I'd say 20-30 minutes tops with an average internet connection.

Hi,

I'm writing from Spain. My Edge is Dec/2016. It was the first in my city... and 1 year later it continues surprising all of those drivers of german cars.

If your SYNC is SYNC2 MFT then you can get the A8 map update on e-bay, I've bought the A6 and then A7 on e-bay and they work fine in my 2014 Ford Taurus. If your SYNC is SYNC3 than your like me (with 2017 Ford Edge) and out of luck since SYNC3 has been out now for 3 model years and there is no way for USA to get an update. If your overseas than a lot of those countries get updates for free for 5 years. Guess Ford don't care about us in the USA anymore.

I'd like to know wich countries, and how is it possible that they receive updates while the rest of the world have to drive by roads that the system does not recognize. I drove by Portugal and France (not only Spain) during the last months and you'll be surprised of the non existing roads for the system I found.

The updates should be free since we payed ~$800 for the Navigation and a Garmin can be had for $170 with free updates for life. Also on-line I found that Australia and a few other countries get free updates from Ford for 5 years. But a fee of say $50 wouldn't be to bad. I copied the A7 SD card to my computer when I got it for a backup for my 2014 Ford Taurus and the folder size is 14.5GB. Don't know why so large as the Garmin data file is only 4GB.

They shouldn't be having Technical problems with downloading the Sync3 has been out for 3 model years already. If they can't fix their software then just let a High School or College Nerd have at it and it would be done in a day or so, Ford should at least tell us when there will be an update and how to get it.

Does anyone know what navigation revision is in the 2018 vehicles? My 2017 is NA 1 15.

My data:

SYNC3, version 2.0. Rev 16074

Maps Version EU 4.14

If I understand the numbers... when they sold me the car, the maps were 2 years old... and increasing.

Regards,
R

PS. Sorry for my english

OK, I called HERE Maps and there is NO release for Sync-3 cars, because .... (long pause to test patience), is because, Ford has NOT sent HERE Maps any information on the Sync-3 system.

Yet.

It appears (at least on the surface), that no one was assigned to follow up on this minor detail, in Ford.

FAKE ENGINEERING!

(ok, sorry, got carried away).

It sucks that maps don't get updated, but I just chalk it up to a learning experience. I have no intention of buying built in navigation again unless there is some kind of written guarantee that maps will be updated. Of course, when they realize people don't want to pay for outdated navigation any more, they'll probably start charging for Android Auto and Carplay. BMW is already charging for Carplay and wants to start charging an annual subscription fee for it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897326/bmw-apple-carplay-subscription-google-alexa-detroit-auto-show-2018

It sucks that maps don't get updated, but I just chalk it up to a learning experience. I have no intention of buying built in navigation again unless there is some kind of written guarantee that maps will be updated. Of course, when they realize people don't want to pay for outdated navigation any more, they'll probably start charging for Android Auto and Carplay. BMW is already charging for Carplay and wants to start charging an annual subscription fee for it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897326/bmw-apple-carplay-subscription-google-alexa-detroit-auto-show-2018

The problem with not wanting the built in navigation is that Ford lumps it in with the option that gives remote start, heat/cooled front seats, etc. So there is no way to not get it if you want the other options. Therefore you pay ~$800 for navigation even if you don't want it and then Ford doesn't provide a method to update it. I would not buy a BMW since even there battery must be bought thru them and calibrated to work with the vehicle, any other manufacturer battery can be replaced by the owner for just the cost of the battery, they also say that you must buy the same replacement brand of tires.

The problem with not wanting the built in navigation is that Ford lumps it in with the option that gives remote start, heat/cooled front seats, etc. So there is no way to not get it if you want the other options. Therefore you pay ~$800 for navigation even if you don't want it and then Ford doesn't provide a method to update it. I would not buy a BMW since even there battery must be bought thru them and calibrated to work with the vehicle, any other manufacturer battery can be replaced by the owner for just the cost of the battery, they also say that you must buy the same replacement brand of tires.

That’s only true on the titanium. On the SEL Navigation is a stand alone option.

• 4 weeks later...

That’s only true on the titanium. On the SEL Navigation is a stand alone option.

That's true but when you need to buy a Titanium for the options you want (as in my case) you have no option not to pay the $800 for the Navigation. But why argue this point, Ford needs to get off their Butt and get an update out for the Navigation and also fix their sites that keep saying that it is up to date when it is clearly not. I read on another site that a guy (saying he is from U of M) completed his work on the Navigation update back in Oct. 2017 so why is Ford holding it up. I don't understand why they don't just switch to Garmin or Tom Tom for their map updates and just let us get their map data on-line to load into our vehicles with life time updates. Ford won't have to be in the loop after they sell the vehicle. I've a Garmin NUVI that I bought years ago and it gets quarterly updates and works fine. It won't have all the bells and whistles that Waze has but at least it would be more up to date than the present Ford Navigation and wouldn't eat up your cell data or require you to have a cell phone and connect it.

Edited by FordGuy1

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with the sales manager here in South Carolina and he called Ford. They told him that an update for the maps would be out sometime in March, he said they were very vague about when exactly and how. He also said that he had 2 other customers ask him the same question within the last week. Hope Ford follows thru and comes up with an upgrade.