Navigation Update

enigma-2 - Could not agree with you more, that's why I purchased it thru Ford. The original price of the car special ordered was 48K so $150 bucks won't kill me. And this is my first navi update in 3 years. Btw, I just purchased a 2018 Ford Escape Titanium for my wife and Sync 3 and the navi is a major improvement. At some point I will need to know how to update that Navi system.

I brought my first update about a year and a half ago and it was from amazon and it worked well for a while and it stopped. Thankfully company I brought it from offered a full refund or replacement. The replacement they sent was also updated from the A7 card I brought to an A8. They insisted the original was factory made, but it was laking the FCC labeling on the back and the A8 replacement they sent had the FCC markings and it has worked perfectly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If it's got Sync3 then right now you may not find an update for it, I know some have posted that they got an update through their dealer but according to my delaer he can't order it and the Ford site he goes on says they are working on it. If you have Sync2 that uses the SD Card then you can order on-line thru Ford for $149 or find them on e-bay for around $55.

I've been e-mailing Ford IVT (In-Vehicle Technology) [sync@ford.com] and they say that the map update for Sync3 is not out yet, also that it will only be released as a dealer install. 4 vehicle years (2016-2019) on the Sync3 and still no updates for Navigation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Would this be an action against Ford or the map provider for the sync 3 system?

It really makes the system more of a 'backup' type option - and a pretty poor one at that given the coverage of the base maps.  They should have just gone with Google maps as other OEMs have done.  None of these similar systems is perfect in spite of what some people will say.  They all have their routing snafu moments baked in - based on the database and the routing engine.

Edited by TourGuide

3 hours ago, FordGuy1 said:

Anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit filed against Ford for not having an update available for it's Navigation on the SYNC 3 system?  The system has been out for 4 model years and there is no update for the maps.

Where did Ford promise you map updates?   It’s ok to be disappointed (although I’ve never purchased an update myself on any vehicle) but to suggest a lawsuit is preposterous and totally unfounded.

• Like 2

Ford in it's Sync2 system had map updates that you could purchase, other vehicle manufacturers have updates that you can purchase, manufacturers of GPS units have updates that you can purchase, so how is this preposterous? Just because you never purchased an update, that's your right but has no bearing on the fact that no updates are available. Ford actually had made the update available according to some people but then pulled the method to get the update. If at least Ford provided up to date navigation maps when you purchased the vehicle, instead of 2 year old's or older maps then I would have less reason to complain. I purchased a brand new 2017 Ford Edge in July 2017, the maps that came with the navigation that was paid for were at least 2 years old at that time.

Oh you have every right to complain and be disappointed.   But filing a lawsuit is preposterous.  You would have to show that Ford promised updates but didn’t deliver them and Ford has never done that.  As long as the maps you have are functioning then Ford has met their obligation.

I’m not really defending Ford (I think they should provide updated maps), I just hate frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasing attorneys who perpetuate them for their own personal gain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FordGuy1 said:

Anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit filed against Ford for not having an update available for it's Navigation on the SYNC 3 system?  The system has been out for 4 model years and there is no update for the maps.

By no means am I discounting nor diminishing your feelings.  Out of all of the issues that Ford could/ should be sued over the lack of map updates is not one of them.

• Like 2

I wonder if our European or International Edge owners have the same challenge with Nav updates?

Wonder as well if Built in Nav is the way of the future. With the integration with Waze, Android Auto & Carplay, you have several options for NAV other then the manufacturer provided built in Nav.

This site says that Ford offers free map updates for 5 years to South Africa owners of Sync3.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_and_4x4/Bakkie_and_SUV/ford-upgrades-ranger-everest-with-sync-3-navigation-and-more-20170411

I also read somewhere that the updates are free for the UK.

Maybe we should all send e-mails to Ford "IVT (In-Vehicle Technology)" at "sync@ford.com" asking for map updates. I have already done this, but the more e-mails they get may help us.

Edited by FordGuy1

40 minutes ago, FordGuy1 said:

Maybe we should all send e-mails to Ford "IVT (In-Vehicle Technology)" at "sync@ford.com" asking for map updates. I have already done this, but the more e-mails they get may help us.

That's a much better option.  They obviously planned to provide updated maps.  I think the method to do the updates without using the old MFT SD cards has given them technical issues.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, redden18 said:

Thank you for your interest in a navigation update for your SYNC 3 system.

You currently have the most recent map update available.
The first map update is expected to be available approximately September 2019.
Please check back later. Thank you

In March 2017 when I bought my Sport new it's maps were about 4 plus years old - there's major road changes in my city and my new subdivision doesn't show at all.

I'll pay up and get the update when its available - glad to see that its imminent.

• 2 weeks later...

Ford finally released a update for their Sync3 Navigation, $109 for download and $149 for a USB mailed to you. Go to this site https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home for the update.

I downloaded it but have not loaded it in the vehical since it says it takes about 1hr of vehical run time. I understand that it is revision NA 1 18. Will post back once I load it in my vehical.