Type and grade of engine oil change for 2011 Edge SEL FWD 3.5L

Edgingage

Oh!, Omar302, thanks a lot for letting me know! So, there's no "short cut" then. I'll have to disconnect the whole fresh air intake assembly not only the air filter housing... Thanks a lot!

TheWizard, thanks a lot for the info. So, that could explain (at least in part) why I haven't experienced frozen gas lines during the winter times...

Thank you all!

PS: for some reason, the computer is not allowing me to include quotes in my replies; sorry.

Edited by Edgingage

You have to be a little cautious about assuming the ethanol in gasoline will take care of any freezing problems. Yes, that is true as long as you drive and fill up regularly. The problem comes when your car sits for any extended period of time. Ethanol is hygroscopic (it bonds with water) so it will help flush moisture through your system to be burned in the engine but it bonds better with water than it does with gasoline so if it is left sitting you can get phase separation where the ethanol/water mix will separate from the gasoline, causing problems. The isopropyl alcohol used in gas line antifreeze will actually combine with any free water and remix the ethanol/water mix with the gas to resolve the problems caused by phase separation.

So, if you drive enough to cycle your tank fairly often then don't worry about it. But if the car sits a lot then adding gas line antifreeze can be helpful.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 2

Gas brands will mix a cold water antifreeze in the gas for winter blends. The problems with gasline freeze ups comes from running a fall mix into winter months.

The switch over occurs in anticipation of freezing weather, but often an early cold snap can catch the oil companies off guard and get fall gas (no antifreeze) in a winter situation, leading to freeze ups. A can of HEET is useful in late fall to dissipate free water.

• Like 2

Ah! Then what I thought about the Petro-Canada gas was not too off (I just wasn't sure): they add some other stuff to the gas during the winter months. And that also makes sense about why I hadn't gotten a frozen gas line in many years without me adding any antifreeze to the gas tank myself.

I don't think I have seen the brand name HEET around here, but I haven't looked for that particular product. I know they sell some generic products just called "Gas Antifreeze" or something like that. I'll have to check to know better.

Thank you enigma-2; thank you all.

I don't know about Canada specifically but in the US, winter gas consists of a formulation that has a higher RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure) value. RVP measures how easily the gas evaporates. It has some connection to performance issues such as vapor lock in a car's fuel system but mostly it's to keep the EPA happy. Winter fuel with the higher RVP (9.0) costs less but evaporates much more quickly in warmer temperatures and they don't want fuel vapors getting into the atmosphere. Summer fuel has a lower RVP of around 7.8 and costs more. That's part of the reason that gas prices go up in summer. There generally isn't any gas line antifreeze included in the winter formulation (at least in the US, I don't know about Canada). Some brands in the north may add it at the terminal (rather than at the refinery) but generally they would make a point of advertising that they do so... as a selling point.

• Like 2

I don't know about Canada specifically but in the US, winter gas consists of a formulation that has a higher RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure) value. RVP measures how easily the gas evaporates. It has some connection to performance issues such as vapor lock in a car's fuel system but mostly it's to keep the EPA happy. Winter fuel with the higher RVP (9.0) costs less but evaporates much more quickly in warmer temperatures and they don't want fuel vapors getting into the atmosphere. Summer fuel has a lower RVP of around 7.8 and costs more. That's part of the reason that gas prices go up in summer. There generally isn't any gas line antifreeze included in the winter formulation (at least in the US, I don't know about Canada). Some brands in the north may add it at the terminal (rather than at the refinery) but generally they would make a point of advertising that they do so... as a selling point.

That's what I've always heard.

Oh!, Omar302, thanks a lot for letting me know! So, there's no "short cut" then. I'll have to disconnect the whole fresh air intake assembly not only the air filter housing... Thanks a lot!

TheWizard, thanks a lot for the info. So, that could explain (at least in part) why I haven't experienced frozen gas lines during the winter times...

Thank you all!

If I remember correctly, only the filter cover & tube, not the whole Air filter box, maybe only the tube from the throttle body end.

PS: for some reason, the computer is not allowing me to include quotes in my replies; sorry.

Are you using Internet Explorer? I remember facing the same issue on Internet Explorer, now i'm using Chrome & all is good.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

Yes, Omar302, that's what I tried to mean (sorry): just the filter cover and connecting tube all the way to the intake (not the filter casing). I'll try again this weekend but I have to confess that I had very hard times trying to disconnect the white pin holding the mas air flow sensor wiring, the actual fresh air connector, and another connector (on the right-hand side) that I don't know what it's but it goes all the way down to the back of the engine compartment.

I'm going to take some pictures of the exact connectors to post them here and see if I could get more help specific on those points. The video posted by WWWPerfA_ZN0W is very helpful (thanks again), but ...I'm limited in my mechanical abilities... and afraid of breaking things (it's not the same configuration). Help is always greatly appreciated.

Thank you Omar302 and all.

PS: Yes, you're right: the IE :(

Edited by Edgingage

• 1 month later...

Very good conversation, I love it. I have been working on cars since 1986 as a "shade tree mechanic", mainly Hot Rods and maintaining our vehicles. Before the internet and knowledge of oils and filters we always used Motorcraft oil and Filters and Wix Filters on occasion. In my Hot Rods I always used RedLine oil and Wix filters. In the mid 2000's(2005) I was in the middle of swapping engines in our 2001 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 7.3 Powerstoke when a salesman pulled in and starting talking to us about Schaeffer Oil. Did my research and asked around on forums and with about 7 vehicles to maintain, I decided to use Schaeffer's. So I use Schaeffer's 9000 series oil with Royal Purple Filters. Look into the Royal Purple Filters, Really Really Good.