G2 Edge Sport Wheels And Tires

Xtra

After looking for a while I finally found a site that had a price listed for the Michelin PS4S in 265/40R21, $360 each. As this was the only site with a price listed for the PS4S, I don't know if that price is high or low.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just ordered up a set of Michelin 265/40ZR21 Pilot Sport 4S Summer tires. The PS4S is Michelin's newest summer tire design. After trying all my local tire shops with no luck finding anyone who carried or could get this tire, I contacted The Tire Rack . Even they could not get them, they told me to try again in March . Tire Rack is asking $358.97 each. So I called Michelin N America to find out whats going on, and they said that they have 365 tires freshly made in December 2017 in my size in stock for all of N America. Then I called The Tire Rack back and told them this information ... it dd not help and they gave me the same answer, try again in March. A little frustrating, all this work and I can't locate any retailers who can get this tire even though they advertise them and Michelin has them in stock. .

Though the PS4S in 265/40ZR21 is not listed on their web site, in a last ditch effort I decided to call Discounted Tire Warehouse located about 60 miles from me. To my surprise they said they could get the tires for me in a week... and for only $320 each. $320 is the best price I have found anyplace, and they can get them!! It will probably be the only time I get these as they cost so much, but I have to try them out once. And just in time for summer fun, look out Snake here I come. :shift:

• Like 1

Going to pick up the tires today, but not install them. I have the new camber bolts as recommended by Mikula .. and a new set of rear shocks to install as well, just in case they are leaking..... I am going to have GAS mount and balance the PS4S tires, install the new rear shocks if needed and camber bolts then do the alignment all at the same time. Once done the suspension should be in tip top shape. Oh! and Discounted Wheel Warehouse is very close to Disneyland so I am going there after I pick up the tires.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Going to pick up the tires today, but not install them. I have the new camber bolts as recommended by Mikula .. and a new set of rear shocks to install as well, just in case they are leaking..... I am going to have GAS mount and balance the PS4S tires, install the new rear shocks if needed and camber bolts then do the alignment all at the same time. Once done the suspension should be in tip top shape. Oh! and Discounted Wheel Warehouse is very close to Disneyland so I am going there after I pick up the tires.

Ā 

Good idea on the new shocks, my left one blew out completely the other day, hydraulic fluid all over the ground, now I have to drive all slow and careful over bumps or it bottoms out against the bump stop. Wont have time until Sunday to replace them. Where did you get your replacement shocks? Maybe ask the guys at GAS if they can point us in the right direction for a performance shock that might fit our Edges!

Going to pick up the tires today, but not install them. I have the new camber bolts as recommended by Mikula .. and a new set of rear shocks to install as well, just in case they are leaking.....

Ā 

Ā 

Good idea on the new shocks, my left one blew out completely the other day, hydraulic fluid all over the ground, now I have to drive all slow and careful over bumps or it bottoms out against the bump stop. Wont have time until Sunday to replace them.

If you guys could, PLEASE take notes of what tools you use/need for the rear shock replacement. I'm going on a road trip here shortly and might just buy a pair of shocks and bring the tools with me. if the thing blows out while i'm on the trip, i'd like to be able to swap it in a parking lot.

Ā 

much appreciated! B)

You should bring a jack stand with you so you can jack up the car and place it on the jack stand, that way you can re-use the jack to support and/or adjust the height of the lower control arm in order to line up the bolt holes when putting in the new shock (this was the most difficult part). 17mm socket and ratchet wrench for the upper shock mount bolts. 15mm box wrench for the lower shock bolts. 15mm box wrench and vice-grips for the nut that attaches the upper shock mount to the shock post. Vice-grips and adjustable wrench (or two vice-grips) to remove the aluminum press-fit ring so you can swap the bump-stop/dust shield to the new shock. When you only jack up one corner of the car, the rear anti-roll bar will keep the lower control arm from dropping enough for the spring to fall out. This is because the opposite side gets compressed quite a bit from jacking up one corner of the car and the anti-roll bar transfers some of that compression to the other side. I had to push the control arm down in order to spread the mounting holes apart far enough to insert the bolts. Watch this video of a MKZ rear shock replacement, its the closest I could find. Just disregard all the steps for the electronic damping wiring. Otherwise its the same procedure. The only other step not shown in the video is removing the press fit ring on the shock post, but thats super easy.

Ā 

Ā 

Here's a minimum requirement tool list:

2-ton jack

2-ton jack stand

17mm socket/ratchet

15mm box wrench

Vice-Grips (2x if possible)

Adjustable wrench

Ā 

...and the tools required to remove the wheel of course.

Ā 

With the camber bolts, are you trying to get rid of the excessive negative camber in the rear caused by the H&R's? I noticed that my rear tires have worn biased to the inside edge (to be expected with over 2 degrees of negative camber). My fronts are wearing the more to the outside edge so rotating them as needed should ultimately work out pretty well for getting the max life I can out of these Atturos.

Ā 

With the camber bolts, are you trying to get rid of the excessive negative camber in the rear caused by the H&R's? I noticed that my rear tires have worn biased to the inside edge (to be expected with over 2 degrees of negative camber). My fronts are wearing the more to the outside edge so rotating them as needed should ultimately work out pretty well for getting the max life I can out of these Atturos.

those bolts are only for the front wheels.

Ā 

The rear can be aligned to be within spec if you take your car to the right people. I've been in an argument with the guys at speedy align that said they cannot adjust the camber in the rear. i was close to -2.5 in the rear or something outrageous. I even showed the guy which bolt to loosen to adjust rear camber, to which he told me that it would affect the toe.

Ā 

NO KIDDING IT AFFECTS THE TOE!! That is why there is toe adjustment also. Took it to another place with an old timer and he knew exactly how to get it within factory spec. The other guy teed me off so bad telling me it had no adjustment. I shouldn't have to get under my vehicle to explain to the "experts" how to do it.

I have an average of -2.2 degrees of rear camber, but I'm not that concerned with it, I like the handling of it, and it counters the wear of my fronts.

Ā 

I remember the guys at the shop I had install my springs saying the same thing, no rear camber adjustment. It doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy when you have to show a mechanic things like that.

• Like 1

Getting the tires mounted next week and some other work as well. Here is some eye candy of one of the things getting done.

Flowmaster #15389 passenger side and #15390 drivers side.

Ā 

Inlet Diameter (in):2.500 in.

Tip Shape:Round

Tip Outlet Size:3.000 in.

Resonator:No

Tip Quantity:Dual

Tip Installation:Clamp-on

Tip Material:Stainless steel

Tip Finish:Polished

Overall Length (in):10.000 in.

Tip Cut:Slant

Tip Edge Style: Rolled edge, double-wall

Staggered tips:

post-46130-0-17915900-1519354129_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-64649500-1519354168_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-77303200-1519354279_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-36237100-1519354237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I think Xtra just revealed his mastery of time travel. Unintentional or ...?

Ā 

I have been exposed ! Dr. Emmit Brown and I have scrapped the DeLorean and updated the Flux Capacitor. We installed it in my Edge Sport last week.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Started the install on the quad tips today . This is a photo of a test fit of the 3 inch tips. I am going to cut the plastic and the tail pipes so they will be centered up. Unfortunately after I do the cuts there is no going back to stock without replacing the entire rear black plastic and welding on some new exhaust tubing. Adding these tips is a commitment that cannot be easily undone.

Ā 

post-46130-0-02750900-1519779475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra

before you cut anything just hold on a dang second!

Ā 

You can (probably for cheap at an exhaust shop) just add an additional bit of pipe to the tailpipe that comes out of the muffler. that will push them out as little or as much as you'd like. just adding a 3/4 inch splice to the current set-up will be better in the long run (IMO) in case you decide to go back to stock!