Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

snmjim and Special_K have given us a great combo that works together fantastic. The big IC, cold side pipe and a set of custom Edge Sport turbos. If you do nothing else those 3 things will make a huge difference in your car. Oh, and my milage so far has been good around 20 with lots of stop and go city driving . I got 30mpg on the way to the tune while cruising at 75 on the Freeway. I will now check the milage with the tune over the next few days.

• Like 2

Answers:

1. Don't know

2. Think it was 3rd gear.

3. Turbos are not stock and move more air. This why I posted here.

4. Thanks, we think so as well .

5. EB programing will always run the most timing possible then the knock sensor kicks in and retards it. We did not disconnect the knock sensor.

Thanks for the info. Seems like the wrong gear and will give higher numbers but the dyno is impressive non the less. Boost stock should be lower as if they are moving more air it would require less psi to make the commanded torque and load.

Most timing yes, but are you seeing 10* or 20*?

Also interested in trap speed times as it appears you are FWD and you won’t be breaking any records with stock tires.

I received a LMS My Calibrator unit from Granatelli today. It has his tune on it and it works just like the one I recieved from LMS with the LMSV3 tune on it. This is so cool as now I can go from tune to stock for service visits at the dealership. :rockon: ​ I thought I was going to have to have the tune in it and the stock tune was lost forever. I just tested it and he gave me a 91 ,93 and the stock tune :drool: Also found out that Granatelli works close with LMS and LMS uses some of his equipment to tune.

post-46130-0-26953300-1534192161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Any of you guys weighed your Edges? I weighed mine today...4780 that seems heavy, but I do carry tools and stuff.

Any idea how the Granatelli tune would compare without the physical mods to the other tuners out there? I realize that is a nebulous question, but we have seen LMS and Unleashed compared on the strip....

Time to get back on topic & let the cat out of the bag... :yahoo:

The modified Turbo change out has taken place and the following is intended as supplemental Info to the Ford Factory Service Manual (FSM) and not a Do It Yourself (DIY) replacement Inst.

If you follow the 2016 Edge Sport FSM to the letter, of which we tried, it will only accurately cover the removal of the Turbos themselves however, accessing them is a whole nother beast and definitely should ONLY be attempted by the experienced Tech/gear head with a complete tool inventory and preferably a lift, at least to do the rear Turbo... :cry:

DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST using the FSM, your going to need it!!!

Logistics:

Use the Ford FSM to ID all required O-rings, gaskets & hardware per the following...

O-rings for Turbo coolant lines (x2) and oil lines (x2) per Turbo (x2 Turbos)

Turbo oil line screens/filters (x2)

Gaskets for Turbo to head and Cat to Turbo (x2 Turbos)

Attachment locking nuts for Turbo to head and Turbo to Cat (x2 Turbos)

O-rings for Front A/C lines

Drain the following fluids or you will be working in a slippery pool.
BTW, no matter how well you drain any of these fluids your still going to have pockets of fluid break loose as you lift & lower the car and tilt the motor, so have your drip pans at the ready... :doh:

Anti-freeze (Ford only)

PTU (Ford only)...WARNING: use the wrong stuff and all it takes is one drive to condemn it... :drop:

Transmission (Ford Only)

Helpful hints:

- Remove passenger side CV shaft and clam shell bracket and housing for added access to rear Turbo.

- Remove drive shaft for access to rear Turbo.

- Remove exhaust Sys from Turbo down pipes back for access to rear Turbo.

- Remove all cold air tubes & boost tubes for Turbo access.

- Remove the RMM to enable you to tilt/rotate the motor from the bottom front using an exhaust jack screw stand to increase accessibility to the rear Turbo.

- Vacuum a/c in preparation to break a/c lines in order to remove cooling table as an Assy.

- Remove the front fascia and cooling table as an Assy (a/c condenser/Trans cooler, radiator & fans) to access the front Turbo.

- Put new O-rings on all Turbo lines and counter bend hold down tab where hold down bolt goes.

- Keep all old O-rings, gaskets & hardware until car is tested, you may need to use an old o-ring like we did after cutting one in half because we were to forceful during install... :banghead:

- Seat all Turbo lines (O-rings) flush by hand first before tightening the hold down bolts.

Easier said than done, it's all about lubricating the o-ring, being flush and firm steady pressure in areas with little room.

Note: when removing the lines be very careful about where you leverage the tube, bend one and realignment will be difficult.

Wedging it off it's seat improperly can damage the sealing surface.

- Be very careful with the top nut on the exhaust to Tubo flange stud, we spent 30-60 min trying to unjam a one way ratcheting box wrench that became wedged between that nut and the o2 exhaust flange seat casting on the rear Turbo... :hammer_self:

- Remove o2 sensor on top of rear Cat to gain access to the top exhaust to Turbo flange nut.

- Pull front Turbo and Cat as an Assy due to a/c compressor clearance.

- Before Turbo reinstallation...install the one feed line that's on the back side of the Turbo, sandwiched between the Turbo and block, or you will be unable to access well enough to achieve a tube seal after the Turbos attached. Also do this for the back Turbo top line.

- Put your Batt on a maintenance charge

Ref front Turbo Pics = post #308

Ref rear Turbo Pics = post #309

Ref general Turbo Pics = post #310

..... :hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...