Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

I just scored a set of 2.7L Edge turbos for $275 each with only 6K miles on them :happy feet: . There was shipping and $25 bucks each core charge on top though :shrug:. I am going to keep my stock turbos just in case. CTI Turbo stage one mods will keep the throttle response and drivability while giving overall more power and more top end. CTI can do this with only a two week turnaround.

Increased HP / torque output

Increased rotor acceleration

Faster transient response

Higher compressor efficiency

3x thrust load capacity over factory journal bearing CHRA (Ball Bearing option)

Higher mechanical efficiency

They will replace the cast internal parts with custom billet ones. The turbo housing will be machined to accept the larger parts and they will be completely rebuilt, balanced and tested with new bearings. I asked if my car would pass smog and was told that it should pass with a stock tune no problem. These turbos will make more power than stock and are everyday driver parts. I do not believe they are as radical as snmjim and Special_K's turbos, I think theirs will make much more power :worship: . Thanks to Special_K and snmjim for the inspiration to do this. :hat_tip: . I will be needing that inter-cooler more than ever now.
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Do you have anyone in your area that can tune such a monster?

Not sure what they consider the ford edge. SUV? CUV?

from now on, on these forums, its called a RaceUV

I'll start making the t-shirts for everyone tomorrow!

I'll buy one but only of its uniquely cool...;-)

• Like 1

Do you have anyone in your area that can tune such a monster?

Not sure what they consider the ford edge. SUV? CUV?

from now on, on these forums, its called a RaceUV

I'll start making the t-shirts for everyone tomorrow!

The turbos will work with a stock tune, they are not full race units. These are for an everyday driver and should pass smog tests. They will be better than stock but less than snmjim's and Special_K's. I will contact LMS to see if they are compatible with a LMS V3 tune. Otherwise I will find a tuner here, after all I live in So Cal it can't be that difficult. 12 seconds is plenty for me snmjim is looking at 11 seconds and world records.

• Like 2

I just scored a set of 2.7L Edge turbos for $275 each with only 6K miles on them :happy feet: . There was shipping and $25 bucks each core charge on top though :shrug:. I am going to keep my stock turbos just in case. CTI Turbo stage one mods will keep the throttle response and drivability while giving overall more power and more top end. CTI can do this with only a two week turnaround.

Increased HP / torque output

Increased rotor acceleration

Faster transient response

Higher compressor efficiency

3x thrust load capacity over factory journal bearing CHRA (Ball Bearing option)

Higher mechanical efficiency

They will replace the cast internal parts with custom billet ones. The turbo housing will be machined to accept the larger parts and they will be completely rebuilt, balanced and tested with new bearings. I asked if my car would pass smog and was told that it should pass with a stock tune no problem. These turbos will make more power than stock and are everyday driver parts. I do not believe they are as radical as snmjim and Special_K's turbos, I think theirs will make much more power :worship: . Thanks to Special_K and snmjim for the inspiration to do this. :hat_tip: . I will be needing that inter-cooler more than ever now.

Xtra is coming after the big boys ;-), send us some update pics along the way and make sure we keep their info readily available. I'm going to update the OP with all of our info, parts, prices, dynos and the such.

Also if you need seal part numbers for a turbo install we have them and can post them.

• Like 2

Has anyone looked into these? Its for an f150 2.7 not sure if that has the same turbos as the edge 2.7.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122854104779

Yes we have, totally different turbo layout sadly. not a direct plug and play. Ours will be more aggressive and flow more volume plus psi than these.

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 2

More PSi? LMS race v3 is pushing 21 psi, can the block handle that much more? Just curious.

I'm guessing more power is going to expose more weak points. For just the tune, the weak point is putting all that power down.

Fantastic question!!! So the peak boost that the stock turbos push is 22psi, at this point they are hair dryers and WAY WAY WAY out of efficiency range. Also, they hit this peak very early in the rpm range... about 2800-3800 and begin to drop off after 4400 because they are no longer efficient until about 14psi (or less) at redline.

​Now, the new ones will hit hard around 3500 (keep engine load down the higher the rpm) and will continue to produce efficient cool boost out to 6K while maintaining boost pressure. this will keep heat lower, and loads lower. Next, higher volume: the new turbos at 18psi will most likely create the same horsepower as stock ones at 22psi, more volume, more air, more fuel, less pressure, which is hard to explain how this works.

The goal isn't to make more boost, rather push the peak out a tad for better fuel economy and better WOT traction and a harder pull to redline.

Hope I answered your question, if I didn't please let me know

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 1

If I understand this right, the wheels will come off on the first full power 1-2 shift ehehe

My car hops on the first shift that leads me to believe there is a ton of power at redline.

Will stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I set a new stock record for those who still have their warranty in tact.

Edited by 037
  • Like 1

If I understand this right, the wheels will come off on the first dull power 1-2 shift ehehe

My car hops on the first shift that leads me to believe there is a ton of power at redline.

Will stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I set a new stock record for those who still have their warranty in tact.

This could be a possibility but with our newly upgraded PTU and some sticky 275's I think we will be golden

• Like 1

More PSi? LMS race v3 is pushing 21 psi, can the block handle that much more? Just curious.

The block is very strong and I see no problems with 21 PSI and the block . Here is some info on it:
The engine block is cast from compacted graphite iron (CGI).

Ford says the 2.7 EcoBoost is the first gasoline-fueled serial production engine with a CGI block. Until now we’ve encountered CGI only in diesel or race engines. Compared to conventional cast iron, CGI provides substantially better tensile strength, 45 percent greater stiffness and twice the fatigue strength. It has more dimensional stability and better NVH damping qualities than aluminum, and while it’s heavier than aluminum, it’s much denser. CGI allows thinner castings and more compact dimensions, and it requires no bore liners.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

The fact that it's stronger doesn't mean they didn't use less of it to save on weight. We will see what it can hold soon enough, I am guessing something else will break first, money on the axle or tranny.

I agree the block is not the weakest link. The 2.7 weighs about 440 pounds dry, according to Waszczenko--10 pounds less than the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, with more compact dimensions.

• Like 1

For those pulling off your Turbos here's the recommended replacement parts list:

Ford P/N Ford illustration number Qty Description

BL3Z-9450-A 9450 2 Gasket

FL3Z-8K289-A 8K289 1 Hose

BL3Z-6C683-A 6C683 2 Filter

W716090-S437 HB5 4 Bolt

W503293-S437 HB4 2 Bolt

W715564-S900 HB2 4 Bolt

W716366-S900 HB1 8 Bolt

W714870-S430 HN1 4 Nut

W716117-S437 HB3 4 Bolt

W716383-S437 HT1 4 Stud

​FT4Z-9448-B 9448 2 Gasket

FT4Z-6N652-G 6N652 D 2 Gasket

FT4Z-6N652-E 6N652 E 2 Gasket

FT4Z-6N652-F 6N652 B 2 Gasket

FT4Z-6N652-D 6N652 C 6 Gasket

FT4Z-6N652-C 6N652 A 2 Gasket

Notes:

- Ford does not offer a Turbo gasket kit, you have to use this parts list to develop your own... :doh:

- Verify your quantities, we based ours on the what if concept... :detective:

Update:

We found the following items that we over looked that the Ford shop manual calls out in addition to items we recommend replacing while in this area:

- LT & RT Turbo exhaust flange nuts (x4)

- Front Stab bar lower link nuts (x2)

- Front Stab bar bushing bracket bolt (x4)

- Drive shaft front (PTU flange) bolt & washer Asssy (x6)

- Drive shaft rear (RDU flange) bolt & washer Asssy (x6)

- Center drive shaft bearing bolts (x2)

- Serpentine belt (x1) ???

- Serpentine tensioner & pulley (x1) ???

- Water pump & gasket (x1) ???

- Thermostat & gasket (x1) ???

CIAO for now... :hat_tip::hat_tip::hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2