Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

Blowing off the hose... That's my favorite one. It needs a silly amount of torque, I think 40 ft/lb.

I looked it up when my Conti started going and LMS didn't tighten it even close to where it should be after tstat change.

It makes a really cool whoosh when it comes off but then vehicle makes like 0 power... Didn'tike that part.

As far as Xtra and SNMJim, I do hope someone breaks my record this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing attempt slips so we can all discuss and try to push it past the records, happy to supply my experience to push deep into 12s.

Traction is the problem if the power isn't.

What do trap speeds look like? Season has maybe 4 weeks in it on the NE and I'm trying to get Conti to 12.5s but there is no mount available... Edge mount too short.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, 037 said:

Dragy is a 10 ghz GPS module that pairs with an app for performance measuring similar to a vbox but with a much more simple interface.

Do U know how Dragy data/Info compares to the Logs provided by the new HPTuner that plugs N2 the OBD port and connects to the HPTuner phone App called Track Addict?

21 hours ago, snmjim said:

Do U know how Dragy data/Info compares to the Logs provided by the new HPTuner that plugs N2 the OBD port and connects to the HPTuner phone App called Track Addict?

Draggy is a GPS module that attaches to your vehicle and provides acceleration data accurate with a tenth of second typically.  HPTuner cannot provide this as it uses your cars sensors which are skewed from having larger wheels.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would like to thank Xtra, Snmjim and SpecialK for all their advice on upgrading my edge sport turbos. Their upgrade thread made it easy for a novice like me to find the parts I wanted. They answered my countless questions.  I am have upgraded comp turbos, up intercooler, side pipe, and 170 thermostat installed today. Obviously the turbos will make the most difference. I am excited to see if it will meet my expectations. I will tune it with ZFG racing.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully I don't blow anything up. LIfe is too short to go slow. ?

Edited by Markham12
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Markham12 said:

I would like to thank Xtra, Snmjim and SpecialK for all their advice on upgrading my edge sport turbos. Their upgrade thread made it easy for a novice like me to find the parts I wanted. They answered my countless questions.  I am have upgraded comp turbos, up intercooler, side pipe, and 170 thermostat installed today. Obviously the turbos will make the most difference. I am excited to see if it will meet my expectations. I will tune it with ZFG racing.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully I don't blow anything up. LIfe is too short to go slow. ?

I hope you don't blow your motor also lol, but if you do its the perfect excuse to upgrade to the 3.0

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone looked into the CRP Stage 3 turbos. I am thinking this might be a good option and try these out on my build, was surprised they aren’t mentioned here but I could have missed it. 

i wonder how they compare to the comp turbos, I would assume very close.

https://crpengineering.com/product/2015-2019-fusion-edge-2-7l-ecoboost-stage-3-40-6mm-upgrade-turbo-set/

19 hours ago, 97novi2k said:

Has anyone looked into the CRP Stage 3 turbos. I am thinking this might be a good option and try these out on my build, was surprised they aren’t mentioned here but I could have missed it. 

i wonder how they compare to the comp turbos, I would assume very close.

https://crpengineering.com/product/2015-2019-fusion-edge-2-7l-ecoboost-stage-3-40-6mm-upgrade-turbo-set/

@Xtra has COMP turbos. Drop him a line and I'm sure he will chime in and share his experiences with them.

Here you can see the stock turbo. Notice the lip around the cast 6 blade inducer.  CPR Stage 3 turbos remove this lip to fit a larger 40.6/50.8mm, 6 blade billet inducer.  Comp turbos also removes this lip and hogs out the shell to the max, installing an 11 blade 44mm/57mm billet inducer.  Comp turbos also works on the inside of the shell to smooth it out.

CPR states that their stage 3 "CAN" make up to 425WHP. That 425WHP would be available only under ideal conditions. You could not bolt them on and magically get 425WHP. That is advertising.  Every part of the system from CAI to exhaust tips, to using a top-grade fuel would all have to be in-sink to get that advertised "up to 425WHP." 

I have 20,000 miles and a couple of years on my Comp Turbos with no driveline or engine problems at all, just normal maintenance. Though I do change the oil every 2,500 miles and I tend to use the severe-duty guide for maintenance recommendations.  It has been a super reliable combo that I would trust to drive across the USA. My car Dynoed at 348WHP on a 91 tune, that's around 130WHP more than stock. I did baseline dyno runs with a bone stock car so I could log the improvement. I am guessing around 375WHP with 93 tune I have not dynoed on 93 yet. 

I believe that if you are looking for MAX WHP and  MAX Performance then use snmjims recommendation for turbos,  I think he has been using BNR Racing Turbos for years on several different projects and highly recommends them. After all, he is the current undisputed World Champion,  and soon he will be the first to drop into the 11-second range. I would go with Comp for 130 to 160 extra WHP and good reliability with a stock driveline, or BNR for an extra 260WHP and not mess with the CPR turbos,  just because they are untested around here.

STOCK FORD EDGE 2.7 TURBO

1933625278_STOCKTURBO.thumb.jpg.1c53f731d06c00c62d7654ce6ac6c4c9.jpg

MODIFIED STOCK TURBO, BY COMP TURBO

398158860_COMPTURBOMODS.jpg.ddd0f022c776ab567238949f62afdeb2.jpg

CPR - STAGE 3

CRP-Eng-2.7L-Fusion-Edge-ST3-5.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

Markham12, I also find it interesting that Comp Turbos changed from 11 to 6 blades. Six blades must be better because technology always moves forward not backward, and my turbos are a few years old now.  Your inducer looks massive compared to stock !! I also like that black finish on the case.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4