marksandbothe

Navigation Upgrade

I scanned the forum but I haven't seen this topic addressed recently so...

I bought a used 2016 Edge Titanium but I didn't get the NAV because I figured CarPlay would be sufficient. Not really...I think I'd much prefer the built in navigation.

My previous Fusion had MFT and I was able to replace the APIM from a nav equipped vehicle. from what I've read I can do the same with sync 3.

My concern is that since Sync 3 is still relatively new there will be. A lot of upgrades coming out and I will lose the NAV during one of those upgrades. Is this possible? Is the NAV hard coded so that no matter what happens I won't lose it? ThenAPIM I'll be purchasing will be out of a new car but the seller has asked for my VIN so he can activate it.

As a side note, has anyone bought a APIM from Sweden Performance on eBay?

Edited by marksandbothe

Navigation is built into the APIM with SYNC 3. No worries with upgrading.

You can buy from Sweden or a number of US resellers.

You can also buy any apim with Nav on eBay and program yourself.

The maps are so out of date it is sad. I'm guessing at least 4 years old.

This is true. Unless Ford plans to start releasing map updates on a semi-regular basis for Sync 3 navigation, it's really not worth having. Seeing how inaccurate the maps are in parts of the city I live in makes me not trust the built in navigation when I'm driving in cities I'm less familiar with.

• Like 2

The problem is that the maps are provided by a 3rd party, and both Ford and the 3rd party don't seem to care about them being outdated. Really strange as the updates cost us money, you would think this company would be interested in making money.

• Like 1

The sync 2 platform had annual updates (A6, A7, A8, etc.) via SD card.

For some odd reason they have not made any map updates on the sync 3 platform, which would be delivered via USB or WiFi.

I appreciate the insight. I know the maps are out of date and that is super annoying (The new Bridge across the Mississippi River in St. Louis still wasn't added the last time I check) but Apple Maps can be kind of a pain as well. My girlfriend and I travel a lot and it's nice having options as well has a map that isn't dependent on the data connection.

For some odd reason they have not made any map updates on the sync 3 platform, which would be delivered via USB or WiFi.

No WiFi, just USB.

5 years of free updates!

To provide the best possible experience with
your SYNCTM 3 Navigation System, Ford and NNG,
the navigation software provider, offer 5 years of
free map updates (1 update a year) from the day
you purchased the car.

• Like 1

just in time for the next vehicle in many cases.

And yes, it seems as though map updates will not be handled via WiFi, only USB. Thanks, Enigma.

5 years of free updates!

That would be nice, my last new car I had to pay for updates.

• Like 1

That would be nice, my last new car I had to pay for updates.

I don't know of any mfr offering free map updates right now. This is certainly a first for Ford. I guess they realize they need to compete with mobile devices with free map updates.

So, has anyone been able to download the Ford Map Updater from the link candurin listed above?

So, has anyone been able to download the Ford Map Updater from the link candurin listed above?

Of course not. It's not live yet. Look at the URL - that's a development/beta version of the website. Looks like it's almost ready to go though.

You are all being misled. That place doesn't do the map updates for North America.

You are all being misled. That place doesn't do the map updates for North America.

Would they do this in Europe but not in North America? Even if it's a different supplier?

I installed the navigation APIM today and the installation went flawlessly. Just one question, on my Fusion I had access to the maps in the right hand side of the instrument cluster. However, even after I updated the APIM I still don't have that option, It's just PHONE and ENTERTAINMENT.

Is this something that has to be enabled with FORSCAN?

You'll have to make changes to the IPC module (block 720-02-01) settings in forscan to add navigation to the right hand cluster.

Do you not even have "compass" listed?

Edited by candurin

You'll have to make changes to the IPC module (block 720-02-01) settings in forscan to add navigation to the right hand cluster.

Do you not even have "compass" listed?

Nope. I just have phone and entertainment listed. Is this something a dealer can do If I ask them (and presumably pay)

It's easy enough to do. If your comfortable with a computer (really easy).

Dealer won't mess with it if you went and got a 3rd party APIM.

Not too mention you can do it alone for $30 (cost of Bluetooth or USB OBS MX adapter) on amazon.