PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

Is the complete redesigned PTU w/drain backward compatible with 2011-2014? Although my PTU was replaced about a year ago under CPO, it still seems like it's a ticking time bomb under there. Especially for those of us that plan to obtain all the value of our purchases and drive cars well into the 200K+ mile range

Knowing that the next PTU replacement has a drain would bring some piece of mind, since Ford appears to have no plan to own up to this and extend the PTU warranty

I would say no. A 2015 PTU unit will not fit your vehicle. If it did we would know by now. Your only option is to change the fluid at regular intervals. The problem is finding someone to do it. Most Ford dealers won't do it because Ford says it is not needed. They only add to the aggravation by refusing to acknowledge what we all know. THE UNIT IS DEFECTIVE BY DESIGN. It just adds insult to injury...and most folks that think Ford can do no wrong, will blame you for not buying the extended warranty...go figure.LOL

Try to find an independent repair shop to change the fluid or do it yourself. Or sell it before it turns into a money pit...or trade it in on an SUV that has a better designed AWD system. No brainer is to go Japanese, but of course do your home work. That's just my opinion.

So why wouldn't we just replace the PTU with middle east version if you have to replace at your own expense? The part number if correct is listed below in red: AT4Z-7251-B. Looks like about $595 for the part online

How to maintain it is covered here by Ford and the extended warranty (with thanks to a thread here by "thirdgenlxi" in 2013)

Peter F. Bandoske Ford Motor Company
Service Engineering Operations Manager P. O. Box 1904
Ford Customer Service Division Dearborn, Michigan 48121
USA
May 22, 2013
TO: Export & Growth Operations Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 13M01
Certain 2007 through 2012 Model Year Edge and MKX Vehicles Equipped with All-Wheel-Drive, Ordered for Certain Middle East Markets - Extended Warranty Coverage on Power Transfer Unit.
PROGRAM TERMS
This program extends the coverage of the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) to 10 years of service from the Warranty Start Date, or 190,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 190,000 kilometers, this coverage will last through November 30, 2013. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM
Certain 2007-2012 model year Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with AWD, built at the Oakville Assembly Plant, and ordered for Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Iraq, or Lebanon. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE
Extended high speed vehicle operation in high ambient temperatures, in conjunction with off-road driving in sand, may result in sludging of the fluid within the PTU and/or seal leaks. PTU sludging typically produces symptoms such as a whining noise while driving or clunk/harsh engagements when shifting to drive or reverse. Continued driving in these environmental conditions may damage the PTU and result in a loss of AWD functionality. Affected vehicles can still be driven in FWD mode if the PTU function is compromised.
SERVICE ACTION
If dealer diagnosis indicates that the PTU requires replacement, dealers are authorized to replace it with a new Middle East Service PTU that contains a drain plug, which enables convenient fluid replacement at regular intervals. Dealers are also to apply a sticker to the inside cover of the vehicle Owner Guide that details revised fluid replacement maintenance intervals of 30,000 kilometers for normal use, and 15,000 kilometers for severe duty/sand driving use. At the conclusion of the repair, dealers are to provide vehicle owners with an Owner Information Card, which details the revised fluid replacement maintenance intervals.
If dealer diagnosis indicates the PTU does not require replacement, but that seal leaks are present, dealers are authorized to replace the affected seals under this program.
This service must be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Service Interval Stickers and Cards will be shipped to dealers the week of June 3rd, marked attention Service Manager.
 Copyright 2013 Ford Motor Company
Note: 2013 Model Year Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with AWD and ordered for Middle East operation, have PTU’s equipped with a drain plug. A Service Interval Sticker should be applied to the vehicle Owner Guide and Owner Information Card should be provided to the customer. It is recommended that the sticker and card be provided during the next scheduled service visit.
ATTACHMENTS
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
ASSISTANCE
Contact your Service Campaign Coordinator (expcso@ford.com) should you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Peter F. Bandoske
ATTACHMENT I
Page 1 of 2
Customer Satisfaction Program 13M01
Certain 2007 through 2012 Model Year Edge and MKX Vehicles
Equipped with AWD, Ordered for Certain Middle East Markets
Power Transfer Unit Extended Coverage
OASIS ACTIVATED?
Yes, OASIS will be activated on May 22, 2013.
FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?
No, FSA VIN list will not be activated for this service action.
STOCK VEHICLES
Do not perform this program unless the affected vehicle exhibits the covered conditions.
SOLD VEHICLES
Only owners with affected vehicles that exhibit the covered conditions will be directed to dealers for repairs.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this service action.
RELATED DAMAGE
If a related damage condition exists that you believe to be caused by the covered condition, complete inquiry form and submit to expwrty@ford.com to request approval prior to the repair. Requests for approval after completion of the repair will not be granted.
OWNER REFUNDS
• Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this program if the repair was performed before the date of the Owner Notification Letter. This refund offer expires November 30, 2013.
• Dealers are also authorized to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the date of the Owner Notification Letter. There is no expiration date for emergency repair refunds. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
• Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with PTU re-sealing or replacement.
RENTAL VEHICLES
The use of rental vehicles is not authorized for this program.
ATTACHMENT I
Page 2 of 2
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
• Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE).
• Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
• Related damage must be claimed on a repair line that is separate from the repair line on which the FSA is claimed. Related damage requires prior approval from expwrty@ford.com.
• "MT" labor should be submitted on a separate repair line with the related damage flag checked. "MT" labor requires prior approval from expwrty@ford.com.
• Submit refunds on a separate repair line.
- Program Code: 13M01 - Misc. Expense: ADMIN
- Misc. Expense: REFUND - Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.
• Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim.
• PROGRAM TERMS: This program extends the coverage of the PTU to 10 years of service or 190,000 kilometers from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded the mileage limit, this coverage will last through November 30, 2013.
ATTACHMENT II
Page 1 of 1
LABOR ALLOWANCES
Description
Labor Operation
Labor Time
Replace the Power Transfer Unit (PTU), apply PTU Service Interval Sticker, and provide vehicle owner with PTU Service Interval Card.
13M01B
4.2 Hour(s)
Replace input shaft seals
13M01C
4.4 Hour(s)
Replace output shaft seal
13M01D
1.5 Hour(s)
Replace intermediate shaft seals
13M01E
1.6 Hour(s)
Replace cover seal
13M01F
1.9 Hour(s)
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
AT4Z-7251-B
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) with Drain Plug
7E5Z-7275-AC
Output Shaft Seal Kit
8T4Z-7275-CD
Intermediate Shaft Seal Kit (includes Cover Seal)
8T4Z-7275-DD
Intermediate Shaft Seal Kit (does NOT include Cover Seal)
7T4Z-7086-A
Compression Seal
7E5Z-7H469-C
PTU Case Driver Gear Seal (Input Shaft Seal)
Order your parts requirements through normal order processing channels.

So why wouldn't we just replace the PTU with middle east version if you have to replace at your own expense? The part number if correct is listed below in red: AT4Z-7251-B. Looks like about $595 for the part online

Because Ford in their infinite wisdom won't sell that middle east version PTU in the USA. Try to find one.

Any professional transmission shop will change the fluid at a nominal cost.

That's not always true. The transmission shops in my area won't do it. The ones I checked with are willing to replace it, but not service it. So, saying that 'any' is just not the case. The reason is that most follow manufacture's specifications unless you can find one that works outside the box. I found a small auto repair shop that was familiar with the Ford PTU. I asked them by chance if they could change the PTU fluid level while my MKX was up on thier lift for rear wheel bearing replacement. They showed me that it was leaking and that the fluid was in bad shape with metal shavings. They gave me the option of seal replacement and fluid change, or complete replacement because of what they found. I opted for replacement and purchased a PTU from a Ford dealership off of ebay for $679.00 including shipping.

I also had to search around for a shop that would do a PTU oil change. I spoke to 2 dealerships that would not do it due the 'lifetime oil' line, and a few local shops would not do it - one saying that they simply did not know how and did not want to experiment, and another saying that they went by Ford guidelines. Ironically, the shop that eventually did do it was my Goodyear store that I had been taking my 213k miled Explorer to for years. I did not approach them initially since I just figured they would say no. But when there on an issue for my wife's Trailblazer I asked them and they said they had started doing them due to multiple requests. They did not want to miss out on additional work for the shop (profit) so they developed a procedure and now will do them if requested, but it is not a board listed service item. Also, interesting that they are a Goodyear corporate owned shop, not a franchise store. I would think (and this is only >MY< speculation) that before they started offering Ford AWD PTU oil changes that they had to have a process/procedure documented and approved by Goodyear corporate due to the liability issues. So if anyone is looking for a shop that will do it, maybe try a Goodyear company store and mention that a company store in Plano, TX. is doing them.

• Like 1

That's really surprising. But I suppose they have their reasons. I called twould local shops and both had no problems in sucking out the old fluid and pumping on new. Eventually went with my local Ford service. (Service agent told me they couldn't do it, had him call up the actual technician and he was the one who said no problem.)

My local dealer found my seal leaking around 84k, had them replace the seal and fluid change. The dealer told me it was common for my milage and had caught it early.

• Like 1

The shop I found would "top it off" but NOT suck it out and replace it. They were concerned that since it was already leaking all over and rust protecting the entire undercarriage with a nice layer of black gold, they didn't want to do a oil change on it and get blamed for it. But, they topped it off for free when I was changing the oil.

This was ok with me, as we had made the decision to trade if off by then.

• Like 1

Went to the local lube shop today and they were nice enough to let me down to watch them change out the PTU fluid. The fluid came out black but it dripped easily and it seems this has mixed around well with the prior fluid that went inside 2 months back.

$25 labor to do the PTU refill, another $25 labor to do the transmission fluid change. Royal Purple went in for the PTU gear oil, and Motorcraft for ATF. I tipped the guy $20 - can't imagine the putrid gear oil smell they have to inhale doing this kid of work day in day out.

• Like 1

- can't imagine the putrid gear oil smell they have to inhale doing this kid of work day in day out.

I felt the same way about the guy who came out and pumped out my septic tank. He said he's used to it and besides, there's a "side benifit"? Now I'm picturing a sewer and saugage connection, but he reminds me that he's constantly exposed to large amounts of bacteria, viruses and whatnot, his immune systems has grown so strong that he never gets sick.

Glad you found a good source for changing the fluid. Price certainly seems fair. How often are you going to change?

Went to the local lube shop today and they were nice enough to let me down to watch them change out the PTU fluid. The fluid came out black but it dripped easily and it seems this has mixed around well with the prior fluid that went inside 2 months back.

$25 labor to do the PTU refill, another $25 labor to do the transmission fluid change. Royal Purple went in for the PTU gear oil, and Motorcraft for ATF. I tipped the guy $20 - can't imagine the putrid gear oil smell they have to inhale doing this kid of work day in day out.

Which shop did you go to?

I felt the same way about the guy who came out and pumped out my septic tank. He said he's used to it and besides, there's a "side benifit"? Now I'm picturing a sewer and saugage connection, but he reminds me that he's constantly exposed to large amounts of bacteria, viruses and whatnot, his immune systems has grown so strong that he never gets sick.

Glad you found a good source for changing the fluid. Price certainly seems fair. How often are you going to change?

I've done two changes in the past two months. At least the fluid is flowing freely, although it is crazy black! Plan to do it every oil change at 7,500 miles. I look at it in terms of paying for a synthetic oil change, but getting a regular oil change and a PTU drain and fill.

Here's an excellent, fairly new (new to me at least) video on the Ford/Lincoln PTU. He tears it open and describes the inner workings, points of leakage and methods of failure. He recommends replacing fluid every 30,000 miles for the Edge/MKX and more often heavier cars, such as Explorers and trucks.

• Like 2

Good find on the vid. It really is a simple gearbox. Interesting that the cover also acts as the bearing race(s) for the idler and ring gears. The front side seal on the input gear is the one that is prone to fail? Haven't heard of the back side seal to the trans as a failure point. Too bad that Ford did not design this thing to be more robust. It seems as though the 3.5L Duratec/6F50 trans w/ AWD would be pretty bulletproof if the PTU was better engineered. :doh:

• Like 1

I've just bought a 2017 Sport - is there any improvement in the later models PTU's, such as a drain plug etc.?

If not, I'll use the instructions here to add a drain.

I plan to have Ford do the first service and thereafter I'll be doing it, and plan to use RED LINE SHOCKPROOF® GEAR OIL in the PTU, which is what I use in my Harley transmission.

Edited by 1004ron

the_natrix posted and excellent description of the Ford PTU problems in a forum topic entitled "PTU Leak / Failures", (14th from top) here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10914-ptu-leak-failures/

To answer your other question about the PTU having a drain, I -don't think- they added it on the 2017 for North American domestic vehicles.

Personally I wouldn't switch away from the Lincoln approved lubricant. Changing the oil every 30k is a smart move but you still need to monitor for seal leaks at each oil change. Sooner of later all PTU seals are going to leak.

Edited by enigma-2