PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

• 3 weeks later...

There is a local Lube It All shop in Hackettstown and Randolph, I went to the Randolph location.

I finally made it there and much to my delight the tech informed me that its either the PTU or the transmission is leaking. We checked the fluid and I was at the minimum mark. Took her to the dealership and they just called and told me that the PTU seal is causing the leak.

The service writer said they have to do a tear down of the PTU and check for damage. If there is any damage they will replace it. If not they will replace the seal and refill the PTU.

Hopefully they will replace it. I'm a lil passed the half way mark for the power train warranty.

That fill plug on the PTU is a blessing for those of us with 2015+ Sports. I had mine changed with Amsoil Severe Gear Oil at 5k miles as a precaution. The factory fill is a good full synthetic, but the ease of changing it thanks to the drain plug makes it as easy as doing an engine oil change. Now that I know that I have the best possible lube in there, I will probably change out the PTU fluid every 20-30k miles.

As was being discussed on the previous page, these guys who work in automotive repair suffer from huge consequences due to their environmental exposure to carcinogenic toxins. I am now seeing research that is starting to indicate the increased risks for cancer as well as shorter life spans. As we continue to switch away from ICE's to fully electric vehicles, this should get better but I cringe at the thought of how many of them will be out of work as electric cars have very minimal maintenance other than changing out the battery and electric system cooling fluid.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am >this close< to drilling and tapping my PTU. I really don't want to do it but it looks like that might be the easiest way to do regular fluid changes. I just had my fluid changed - found a shop that would do it for $80 full synth Valvoline. I plan on yearly or 20k mile changes and the hole tap would make that a lot easier to do myself.

The dealership replaced my PTU. They were very good about getting her done within the same day. Unfortunately thats where my pleasant experience ended.

My car started having this weird slight scratching sound and a wop wop sound upon braking. The scratching sound, sounds like its coming from the right front tire. The wop wop sounds as if its coming from the center of the car.

I returned the car and they had her for 3 days. The sound was not present before they replaced the PTU. The dealership says that I need brakes and tires. I took her for a test drive with their senior technician. The wop wop sound was not present but the slight scratching sound was. They said that there were no issues with the PTU replacement repair.

They said that my right front tire had high spots due to the brakes not functioning properly. They said that was the sound that I was hearing.

They stated that its not a safety issue but it would not pass inspection in Oct.

I took her for a second opinion.

I took it to my mechanic and he inspected everything and he said yes i Need brakes but it was something that could wait. We discussed that previously when I brought the car in for inspection last Oct. He said that there was nothing wrong with my tires.

Of course the wop wop sound wasn't present. He checked everything short of pulling the axels and PTU to check for spline damage.

Ford wants $1400 for front brakes and tires. I asked them what was their guarantee if I had them do the brakes and tires right now. The service manager said well I need brakes and tires. Then I explicitly asked him if I did the brakes and tires and the sound was still there what was their next course of action. He was sort of evasive and eventually said that they couldn't guarantee that it would resolve the issue.

I was thinking of doing the brakes and rotating the tires. Ironically enough my mechanic suggested the same thing.

But then he stated that Ford may take issue with it. He said they shouldn't because by law there is no law stating that I have to get work done at the dealership. But he said they may take issue with inspecting/ repairing the warranty work that was previously done.

My new question is if I do the work myself and the noise is still present will that give the dealership any reason to not want to warranty the previous warranty repair? Should I go to a different dealership to have them inspect the previous dealerships work?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by onyxbfly

Getting a second dealership to look at it is a good idea, tho I probably would not tell them that work had been done on the PTU already. Pick a good one :)

Installing the PTU is pretty straightforward except maybe a couple of the seals involved, in particular the PTU-driveshaft seal. Have not heard of this particular combination of sounds though.

• Like 1

I decided to put on a new set of tires, did the due diligence and picked the Bridgestone Dueler's (same as what I had on the car). Printed out the webpage and took it into local service dept. They had no problem matching price (for the tires, regular labor, which I had no problem with, at least it wasn't a high school dropout who had his mind on something else).

Point is, price IS negotiable.

Edited by enigma-2

• 1 month later...

Today I changed engine oil, oil filter, and PTU oil at 5,200 mi.

The PTU oil change was real easy with the drain fitted on these later models.

As can be seen in the photo, the oil blacken the paper towel and there was a few filling attached to the drain plug magnet.

I used Royal Purple 75-140 synthetic, and will most likely change it every 10 ~ 15K

post-44162-0-59042000-1495322414_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-47218600-1495322441_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-63193300-1495322457_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-02913900-1495322494_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-87326600-1495322513_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

I would actually pull the fill plug and take a small sample to investigate before I went to the full change out. RP is supposed to be some good stuff. It might have a lot longer life then the factory stuff.

Thing is if you go to that much effort to check it...why not change it? (especially if you have a drain plug)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I changed engine oil, oil filter, and PTU oil at 5,200 mi.

The PTU oil change was real easy with the drain fitted on these later models.

As can be seen in the photo, the oil blacken the paper towel and there was a few filling attached to the drain plug magnet.

I used Royal Purple 75-140 synthetic, and will most likely change it every 10 ~ 15K

I have a 2016 EDGE with AWD, when did Ford start putting a drain plug in the PTU?

I have a 2016 EDGE with AWD, when did Ford start putting a drain plug in the PTU?

You don't say which model Edge you have.

As far as I know, Ford started installing the drain plug from 2015 in the Sport, but have no idea if this applies to the other models.

• 3 weeks later...

:ford::ohsnap::hi5:

Okay.

So, apparently I'm new to an old reported problem. My PTU is failing. Sounds like a bucket of bolts when moving.

It's quite unthinkable that FORD would let this problem continue. Poor design & poor customer service. My 2010 Edge has only 71K, and for all of it's life has been serviced by the FORD dealer where I have purchased it. All fluids have been maintained by FORD at every oil changes. My dealer gives free OFL with every car they sell.

So to my surprise, the PTU's oil can't be accessed to change. Hey, FORD. Put a F'n drain plug in that part and maybe us Edge, Flex owners won't be so pissed off at you.

I don't have an extra 2K dollars to put into my car right now.

Does anyone know if a Class action Suite has been filed with FORD?

I'm frustrated, annoyed and feel letdown my FORD. I've supported them for 50 years with new car purchases, and the dealer tells me, sorry I can't help you.

Any Idea's????

Edited by Limitededge

Welcome to the club. Hard to believe, huh? Never a recall because Ford has never admitted an issue with the PTU...publicly. Then you'd think they would do some sort of a redesign other than a drain plug...but no. Honestly, since I've had this car it's been a nightmare of major problems. Last week I just got done with a $2,500.00 tab to fix the AC...seats & dash had to come out. And I guess the front fascia was removed too as the clips that hold it in place around the marker lights all came out and now it looks terrible. It took them 10 days to fix the AC system, now it has to go back for cosmetics. The list just keeps on growing...never again will I buy a Ford.

PS: check a few other dealers, I had my PTU done for just under $1,500.00 here in Southern NJ.

I Agree with Ironpeddler, shop around. Even if you find a dealer 100 miles away, use their quote to bargin the price down (most dealers will meet any legitimate quote).

My 09 have >100k and no problems other a they found a seal leaking around 92k. When it ha around 80k I had the PTU flushed and changed (they charged me around $60 or $80, forget). Ford mechanic used a suction device to suck out the old gunk and them replace with new. (Believe that also replaced the fluid when they changed the seal.) Ford dealer told me they thought that the seal starts to leak, causing a loss of lubricant. This causes the remaining oil to get gummy and stop lubricating. All comes down to catching the seal as soon as it starts leaking.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think I may have the PTU on my wife's 2015 edge sport awd. Just dropped it at the dealership. Car has 23k miles on it.

All of the sudden harsh grinding noise ONLY under acceleration. Front right under the car. Do these symptoms match up to the PTU issue?

Whatever it is, the edge is our transportation to our two week vacation to Colorado next Wednesday. Certainly don't want to pay for a rental that is big enough to get all four of us CO.