PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

Does sound like the PTU is toast. Surprisingly early. Do you know when your Edge was produced? You can look up by VIN here

Https://www.etis.ford.com

I will scramble around (AKA walk to my car) to get the VIN and take a look.

Do we know if the 2017 Sport has the same PTU unit issues? Mathematically, we could get a '17 for the same payments (within $50 a month) as our '15 since we arent upside down.

Build date is 10.21.2015 (two days before our son)

Edited by deathrattle

Pretty late in the production cycle. I was looking to see if maybe it was also in the date range with the A pillar leak problems, but apparently not.

Agreed, too early to tell if the same issues plague the Gen 2 PTUs. The fact that we have already heard of a couple of failures is not comforting.

I will scramble around (AKA walk to my car) to get the VIN and take a look.

Do we know if the 2017 Sport has the same PTU unit issues? Mathematically, we could get a '17 for the same payments (within $50 a month) as our '15 since we arent upside down.

Build date is 10.21.2015 (two days before our son)

I also would suspect the PTU, but keep wondering if you wouldn't hear it under other conditions as well (after all, it's connected 100% of the time).

Couple of other thoughts, as it's coming from the right side, possibly the CV joint going bad. Transmisdion, did you check your transmission fluid level? Lastly, a heat shield slightly touching an exhaust component can make a rattle sounder like a grinding sound. Or possibly a btoken exhaust clamp.

What did the dealer find?

Edited by enigma-2

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 2017 Edge Titanium on July 17 and it's been on leak after an other, here's the story:

Well this has been the worst car buying experience. We bought a new car on 17 July and it's been a problem. After 4 days and 90 Miles the transmission started to leak, take it in they tighten a ptu sensor and order a new one. Well they replace the ptu last Friday and yesterday it started to leak again. Took it back in (this took 3 1/2 hours) was told it was a ptu shaft seal so they replaced the shaft seal,cover seal, and deflector, brought it home and then this happened transmission fluid all over the garage floor. Had to have it towed to dealer, so waiting for call to see if this is fixed. Their idea of a fix replace everything they replaced the other day. When bought it had 9 miles on it now it has 500 miles and 120 of those miles is from the dealer try to fix this.

Edited by Shellyap

Bought a 2017 Edge Titanium on July 17 and it's been on leak after an other, here's the story:

Well this has been the worst car buying experience. We bought a new car on 17 July and it's been a problem. After 4 days and 90 Miles the transmission started to leak, take it in they tighten a ptu sensor and order a new one. Well they replace the ptu last Friday and yesterday it started to leak again. Took it back in (this took 3 1/2 hours) was told it was a ptu shaft seal so they replaced the shaft seal,cover seal, and deflector, brought it home and then this happened transmission fluid all over the garage floor. Had to have it towed to dealer, so waiting for call to see if this is fixed. Their idea of a fix replace everything they replaced the other day. When bought it had 9 miles on it now it has 500 miles and 120 of those miles is from the dealer try to fix this.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Sounds like your dealerships diagnostic skills are lacking - its bad enough to having a problem with a brand new car, but to me they've made the experience far worse.

I'd consider another dealership.

Hope it gets sorted quickly and you can start enjoying your new car, but make sure that you maintain detailed documents in case you need to go the route of the Lemon Law. Any conversations with the dealership, followup with emails etc. to have a written record.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

UPDATE on PTU that was replaced 2 days ago. I got about 20 miles before the new PTU started leaking trans fluid in the garage. Leaking much more than it was when I took it in the first time to be replaced (98,000 miles). Just got back from dealer and looked at it on the rack. Fluid is leaking from the seal to the half shaft.

What is the problem with these PTU parts?

more to follow I am sure......

UPDATE on PTU that was replaced 2 days ago. I got about 20 miles before the new PTU started leaking trans fluid in the garage. Leaking much more than it was when I took it in the first time to be replaced (98,000 miles). Just got back from dealer and looked at it on the rack. Fluid is leaking from the seal to the half shaft.

What is the problem with these PTU parts?

more to follow I am sure......

Sounds like you got a poorly refurbished one.

• Like 1

They found my seal leaking late last year, I optioned to just have new seals put in. 8k so far and no leaks. Believe if it starts leaking again, I'll have a new unit installed. (Current extended warranty expires in late October, taking it in Fri for inspection on new three-year extended warranty. I am expecting it to fail).

• Like 1

Got a call from service yesterday telling me they are going to replace the seals with a newer version on the supposed new, maybe refurbished, PTU. Special tool need they tell me. Will be without out vehicle for awhile. Thankfully it is being covered under extended warranty.

That is true. They need it to get the front passenger side axle out. I saw it a while back on a YouTube video, that's what lead me back to a Ford dealership to do the job.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I completed a drill and tap on my PTU in July and yesterday finished my 10k mile service on it. I made a video that discusses some of the things I learned through the process and hopefully it can help someone else on the journey. Fun little project that will extend the life of that critical component.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Today I changed engine oil, oil filter, and PTU oil at 5,200 mi.

The PTU oil change was real easy with the drain fitted on these later models.

As can be seen in the photo, the oil blacken the paper towel and there was a few filling attached to the drain plug magnet.

I used Royal Purple 75-140 synthetic, and will most likely change it every 10 ~ 15K

Today I did another lube service at 15K miles - the 10K mile service was done by Ford - I plan to have Ford do alternate services.

The Royal purple that came out the PTU still looks good and the magnetic drain plug was clean after 10K miles.

It doesn't take much to do the PTU lube service so I'll stick to a 10 ~ 15K mile interval.

Also pleased to report that the engine is now 100% dry - no more oil leaks since the solenoid was replaced by Ford.

post-44162-0-83947000-1511116135_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-68900400-1511116137_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-16300500-1511116139_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-37867000-1511116140_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-95737100-1511117062_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Hello, I am a 1st time Ford Edge owner & I bought a 2014 SEL AWD. Very happy so far, but like all DYI guys, I want to drain & refill my rear diff, AND my PTU, myself. Do you know how difficult these tasks are & which plugs are the refill & drains?

I have changed the motor oil & filter, & did a drain & refill on the tranny so far. Just turned 31k on the odometer.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!!

Bruce from western PA