PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

I had 152,800 when I traded in my 11 sel awd. Never any issue with the ptu- fluid was never changed that i know of. Worked fine. No issues. I did buy a 17 awd and love it.

Hey CTFordfan. Oxford? Small world, I'm just on the other side of the Stevenson dam. I'm still thinking about buying a 2nd Gen Edge, but getting the FWD instead. I've loved my Edge and I really like some of the changes they made to the 2nd Gen models. I am still seriously considering buying another one, but I'm just not as enthusiastic about it as I was a couple of weeks ago before my PTU problem. If I do get another Edge, I'll be shopping around for another dealership. If you don't mind, I'll PM you to ask about your dealership experiences with your two Edges.

I just picked up my 2013 Edge LTD AWD from the dealer. They changed the PTU last week, and after just 37 miles on the new PTU I noticed it was leaking again from the same spot. I brought it back today, and the Service Advisor and the Service Manager both told me that the "new" leak was actually just residual transmission fluid from when the 1st PTU had blown out the upper valve. They said the old transmission fluid collected inside the lower transmission mount, and the old fluid was dripping out of that. The repair ticket says they removed the lower mount and drained the residual fluid out of it, cleaned it, and then let the vehicle run on the lift for about 45 minutes. They checked again for fluid leaks and saw nothing, and they assured me there will be no more drips now. They're the "experts" and I'm hoping they are right, but my gut tells me I'll be back there again next week.

I just picked up my 2013 Edge LTD AWD from the dealer. They changed the PTU last week, and after just 37 miles on the new PTU I noticed it was leaking again from the same spot. I brought it back today, and the Service Advisor and the Service Manager both told me that the "new" leak was actually just residual transmission fluid from when the 1st PTU had blown out the upper valve. They said the old transmission fluid collected inside the lower transmission mount, and the old fluid was dripping out of that. The repair ticket says they removed the lower mount and drained the residual fluid out of it, cleaned it, and then let the vehicle run on the lift for about 45 minutes. They checked again for fluid leaks and saw nothing, and they assured me there will be no more drips now. They're the "experts" and I'm hoping they are right, but my gut tells me I'll be back there again next week.

My gut also tells me you'll be back - is it a warranty repair, and if so can't you take it to another dealer?

My gut also tells me you'll be back - is it a warranty repair, and if so can't you take it to another dealer?

It's covered on the Extended Service Plan warranty for now. The Factory Warranty didn't apply because while I was still within the mileage limitation, I was over the time limit. With the ESP my PTU replacement cost me $100 deductible, and I believe the new PTU is covered for 2 years under the Parts warranty. If the new PTU drips again, I will take it to another dealer rather than deal with my current guys again.

Did they clean out the undercarriage to ensure the leak is truly gone or easily spotted for next time?

They claim that they cleaned it and saw no new drips after running it on the lift and test driving it later. I haven't looked under the car yet. Right now I have the car in my garage with a paper towel on the floor. I'm afraid to look.....

the Service Advisor and the Service Manager both told me that the "new" leak was actually just residual transmission fluid from when the 1st PTU had blown out the upper valve. They said the old transmission fluid collected inside the lower transmission mount, and the old fluid was dripping out of that. .

Does your PTU use transmission oil or gear oil?

Ford recommends 9K or 20K mile PTU Oil change interval in the Middle East / GCC (Hot Climate):

Ā 

post-24673-0-61645000-1521435345.jpg

Here in the states the recommended fluid change interval is 60,000 miles if towing trailer, running on dusty roads, excessive idling such as taxi, police, etc. or off-road driving. Under normal schedules, the PTU fluid must be changed anytime the unit has been submerged. Also goes on to state that the use of fluids not meeting Ford spec are to be changed at 3,000 miles.

Ā 

Rear Axle and PTU Maintenance

The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and rear axle (AWD only) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance, unless the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme or severe duty cycle driving or both PTU and the axle has been submerged in water. Checking the PTU and rear axle fluid is not necessary unless the unit shows signs of leakage. Contact an authorized dealer for service.

So for most owners in the US Ford considers the PTU lubed for life.

Edited by 1004ron

Does your PTU use transmission oil or gear oil?

Glad you picked up on that. They kept calling it transmission fluid when they talked to me, and they wrote it up that way on the repair ticket. That threw me, because I thought the PTU used a heavy synth gear oil. The original leak was a very black, sludgy kind of drip. The fluid that leaked out after the PTU replacement was definitely lighter in color and viscosity than gear oil, kind of a very light colored reddish brown, which seemed to me more like old trans fluid like they were saying. I actually brought the paper towel to show them how light colored and thin the fluid was, and they both looked at it and said it's old trans fluid that "blew out the top valve" on the PTU and dripped onto the lower trans mount. That really confuses me, because I thought when stuff blew out the top valve, it was gear oil. Is it possible that trans fluid could have leaked out somehow during the PTU replacement? I think I'd better check my trans fluid level before I take the car out.....

• 3 weeks later...

My new dealer-installed PTU is still dripping on my 2013 Edge LTD AWD with 48,000 miles. A few weeks ago, I brought it in to check a leak and they told me the PTU needed replacing. It was a thick, black greasy looking spot and from what I read on the forum, it seemed as if I was another victim of the PTU problem. They indeed told me that the PTU had blown fluid out the upper valve, and it had to be replaced. The extended warranty covered that, so no big deal. However, as soon as I got the car home (just 37 miles after I dropped it off for the new PTU), it was still leaking in the same spot, but this time the fluid looked thinner and more reddish. I brought it back, and the dealer assured me that it was just residual "transmission fluid" dripping from the frame. It seemed strange to me because the fluid seemed different, and it seemed odd that they were so sloppy that they didn't wipe down the frame, but what do I know. They told me they took off the trans mount and trans fluid dripped out of it, and they cleaned it really well and ran the car on the lift for 45 minutes and found no leaks. They assured me that while there might be "1 or 2 more drips", nothing was leaking and the drips should be totally gone. It's been 2 weeks, and the drips continue. The dripping seems worse after I've had the car out at normal highway speeds. Every time I park the car in the garage, I put a clean paper towel under the car, and every morning there are fresh drips.

Ā 

I made an appointment to bring the car back for a third visit so they can fix it properly this time. In the meantime, I took a photo of the area where the drip comes from. I noticed some strange black goop near the drip. I can't tell if that's gasket sealer from the PTU replacement, or if some bonehead tried to plug a leak with some kind of sealant. I have no idea what I'm looking at, so I'd love to get some opinions before I head back to the Fix Or Repair Daily guys. The yellow circle in this photo is the spot where the drips come from. The drips are reddish brown and appear to be old transmission fluid. The red circle show the black goop that I'm trying to figure out. Any ideas?

Ā 

PTU Leak 2013 Edge LTD AWD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Tightanium 3.5. It does have a drain plug. The fill plug has a magnet on it also.

I'm pretty sure that only my drain plug has a magnet.

Ā 

Good to hear that all models now have drain plugs - wonder if Ford is still claiming them to be lubricated for life.

A little more then 11oz came out. In my opinion the fluid was ok at almost 28k miles. On my car its not to hard to do so no big deal to do it every 30k. But it probably would last longer. The size difference of plugs also.

Your oil looks better than mine did at 5K and 15K, and sure doesn't look like it was in need of a change.

Ā 

Your PTU looks different to mine and to @JSchneid

His casing looks very different and his plugs are the same type of torx T50 as mine, with the drain on the underside.

Ā 

Odd that there's all this variation.

Edited by 1004ron

Your oil looks better than mine did at 5K and 15K, and sure doesn't look like it was in need of a change.

Ā 

Your PTU looks different to mine and to @JSchneid

His casing looks very different and his plugs are the same type of torx T50 as mine, with the drain on the underside.

Ā 

Odd that there's all this variation.

I was surprised how good it looked also. Maybe build date or plant has something to do with the different ptuā€™s

4/16 Oakville plant is mine.

• 3 weeks later...

I have AWD, had the PTU replaced last year under extended warranty. Also have the lubricant changed by local dealer every 30k. (Although I haven't changed it since it was replaced).

Is this on your 2009? How is dealer changing the lubricant?

Told me they use the same machine to change the lubricant in the PTU as they use for differentials. Apparently it can both suck out the old and pump in the new.

Ā 

note: he made me feel as if it was a common piece of equipment in any Ford service shop.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, thought I'd post my applied fixes to this same problem.

Ā 

Have a 2013 Edge with classic leaky PTU leaving splats of black oil on the garage floor with also the burning of the same oil splats on the exhaust crossing under the output shaft from the PTU.

Ā 

I've read through many forums related to this issue in various forms and finally built up the courage to apply some of the methods to get past this issue. One important one being to add a drain for oil changes, but I also wanted to deal with the belching breather. In another forum I noticed on the focus, ford actually provides a kit to extend the breather into the engine bay by way of removing the old jiggly cap breather and putting this kit on that has a barbed insert, hose, and breather cap. Specifically the kit is AG1Z-7034-A. (forum I found this info: https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=6849.0)

Ā 

I couldn't find any documented application of this kit to an Edge, but I did find someone with an Explorer put this on. Before purchasing, I thought I'd get under and feel it out to see if it were even possible. Glad I did because it isn't really possible to do that kit on the Edge without removal of the PTU. There just isn't enough room to remove the breather and tap in the barbed nipple for the extension hose. However, there's still a solution if you're motivated...

Ā 

The jiggle cap breather is already installed, so I took a risk and knew that if I could remove the cap (blindly by reaching up through and over and just feeling it out), I could pull out the rubber check valve within and thus converting the vent into a nipple to put a hose on. I was ultimately successful by using a socket and shorty 3/8 ratchet. I slipped the socket over the jiggle cap and pulled to the side and rotating the ratchet. This essentially flared the jiggle cap open and after a bit of fighting I got the cap off. Next I fought the rubber check valve a bit, but in hindsight, just use a pick and it should just pull out easy.

Ā 

At this point you'll have a "nipple" to put some 3/8 hose on. The breather body dia. is somewhere just under 1/2". I was able to slip the hose over with a clamp to secure it. At that point you can secure the top of the hose to the wiring next to the master cylinder up top. You'll need to find a breather online to put in the end of the hose. Something like a Toyota 90930-03136 or Dorman 924-284 Axle Vent. I just found this online, but as long as it is designed to breathe / vent outward, you should be ok. Even just a filtered vent would be fine. Just make sure it fits your hose. Of course you could buy the $75 kit for the focus mentioned above, but I cannot verify if that hose will fit the modified jiggle cap breather converted to nipple.

Ā 

After this vent tube was installed, I drilled the drain and tapped a 1/8-27 NPT plug. I was able to drain the fluid and simply grab my royal purple bottle and just squirt it into the vent tube. Soooo easy.... Once it was dripping from the plug in the side (original fill location), I stopped adding fluid and buttoned everything up.

Ā 

All in all I'm glad i have a full solution to this problem now. I'll update with results, but having ready all of the success in both of these mods, I am sure I'll be able to share the same results.

Ā 

End comments: It may seem a little ghetto to mod the jiggle breather like that, but I assure you, unless you want to drop your PTU to do this, it's impossible to pull and replace that breather with something where it is located otherwise. And unfortunately, I didn't take pics, but there is enough documentation related, you can navigate your way through this without them.

Edited by ManiN
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So far so good with my fix. Had a drip the next day but nothing after that. I'm suspicious that filling to the side fill plug is slightly over full as mentioned by others. There are no drips now and no heavy smells. There is still a slight odor in the garage ,but I also wasn't able to fully clean the PTU top side and even just this can cause odor.

• Like 1

So far so good with my fix. Had a drip the next day but nothing after that. I'm suspicious that filling to the side fill plug is slightly over full as mentioned by others. There are no drips now and no heavy smells. There is still a slight odor in the garage ,but I also wasn't able to fully clean the PTU top side and even just this can cause odor.

What was your fix?