PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

This is in the new 2019 Edge owners manual.

Rear Axle and PTU Maintenance
The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and rear axle (All-wheel Drive only) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance, unless the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme or severe duty cycle driving or both PTU and the axle has been submerged in water. Checking the PTU and rear axle fluid is not necessary unless the unit shows signs of leakage. Contact an authorized dealer for service.
  • Like 1

So how does Ford specify to fill the ptu? I've read 1" below the bottom of the fill hole, 1/4" below it and just dribbling out the bottom of the fill hole - I'm confused. I also have no idea how one would go about putting in a precise measurement below the bottom of the fill hole.

Edited by erikrichard

So how does Ford specify to fill the ptu? I've read 1" below the bottom of the fill hole, 1/4" below it and just dribbling out the bottom of the fill hole - I'm confused. I also have no idea how one would go about putting in a precise measurement below the bottom of the fill hole.

Where did you read that?

Fill it to the fill hole.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I recently bought a 2010 Limited awd Edge with 117,000 miles. I did a drain/fill on the trans and a couple drain fills on the coolant and replaced the spark plugs which were most definitely original. The Carfax I received showed regular oil changes, and was done right before I bought it by the dealer who sold it to me. I removed the ptu fill plug and stuck a white zip tie all the way down into it, and what came out was golden brown fluid that smelled just like new gear oil, not a hint of this black mess I keep reading about. There is nothing in the carfax to show the ptu has been touched, and I'm making the assumption it's never been touched, although of course I may be wrong. I called the dealer and asked them their opinion on whether I should change the fluid they said no, just keep an eye out for any leaks and leave it alone otherwise.

It's hard to understand all the disasters I've read about these Ford ptus, and the pics of the black tar inside the cases are simply hard to believe. The only thing that makes sense is that Ford hasn't done a good enough job with the tolerances when building these ptus, and a sizeable percentage come off the line just far enough off to allow seals to fail, transmission fluid to enter the ptu, overheating caused by the gears not aligned properly etc. I believe that the vast majority of these ptus are good for the life of the vehicle, however long that lasts, but if you are unlucky enough to get a poorly build unit you end up with black goo and lack of lubrication. In other words, I don't think it's a design failure due to being too close to the cat, or too little fluid capacity as some think, but rather tolerances that are too large that produce a small % of ptus that don't last, while most are fine for the life of the vehicle without fluid replacement as Ford recommends.

I am really relieved at the condition of the fluid inside my ptu, and for anyone considering buying a used Ford with one of these ptus I would tell them not to consider buying it unless you pulled the plug and took a look at the condition of the fluid first.

Update: I decided to replace the fluid today anyway, and don't plan to ever open the plug again. What a messy btch of a job.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 1

Recently purchased a brand new Edge Sport. Got it home and over the course of a week, I was noticing red transmission fluid on my garage floor. Took it in last Friday and they confirmed that it was a bad PTU leaking. It only has 400 miles on it and I'm fairly upset that PTU failures are still an issue. What is the longevity of these PTU's after they have been replaced? Is this going to be an ongoing thing?

Recently purchased a brand new Edge Sport. Got it home and over the course of a week, I was noticing red transmission fluid on my garage floor. Took it in last Friday and they confirmed that it was a bad PTU leaking. It only has 400 miles on it and I'm fairly upset that PTU failures are still an issue. What is the longevity of these PTU's after they have been replaced? Is this going to be an ongoing thing?

My 2017 Sport has 29,000 on the clock and no issues with the PTU, and I've read about others with high mileage, some having done maintenance and some zero maintenance, with no issues.

Edited by 1004ron

My 2017 Sport has 29,000 on the clock and no issues with the PTU, and I've read about others with high mileage, some having done maintenance and some zero maintenance, with no issues.

That's good to know! I hope this will be the last time it needs any sort of maintenance. Otherwise it is a stellar vehicle!

• 2 weeks later...

I also just recently performed a PTU and RDU oil replacement. The first time the oil changes were done was at 80, 000 KM at the dealership. The second was done by myself at 167,000km. The PTU was darker than the new oil, but flowed nicely and probably could have stayed in there longer. The PTU was surprisingly easier to get out than the RDU. The RDU I struggled to get a hose in there to suck out the old fluid, I just couldn't get the right angle no matter what I tried. I eventually only got 1/2" liter of fluid out of the RDU. Neither fluid really required servicing, but it's done and gives me a piece of mind for the time being.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a question/comment - (previous member but lost sig-nin so now new again):

My 2014, 3.5 TPU was serviced at 14K thanks to this forum. While I was concerned over this flaw, and the internal $1700 water pump issue, I decided to go ahead with the purchase. I had no drippage or TPU leaks, but wanted to see what the condition was.

The Ford dealer I bought from (2 yr trade in ??) knew about the TPU, even though their service dept said they’d only done “a few” replacements. For $100 they changed the fluid, it (gear lube) was fine. They showed it to me, normal 75-90 weight looking stuff.

Fast forward, now it has 44K, and I am going to get it and the coolant changed. The local (moved to NC) Ford dealer service advisor said he’s never heard of TPU fluid being serviced and said “we dont do it’. Thanks fella, maybe time to read the forums.

What do you think of letting my nearby Firestone change it? I have an ESP (Ford) thats good till 2020 and don’t want to invalidate it by having a non-Ford fluid used.

Or I can drive 50 miles and try another Ford dealer...

As long as the Firestone center has a good reputation for driveline servicing (check YELP.com for example), why not. Pretty simple process of drain/fill since no flushing can be done. Ask them to use Motorcraft PTU 75W140 fluid if you are worried about non-Motorcraft fluid while under warranty.

The key to success in a dealership is to talk to the trans tech directly if the service advisor says no. Explain to the tech what you want done, and they can likely get it done for you. Failing that, try a Lincoln dealership, odds are better they WILL service the PTU.

Or you can try to find a shop that does BG Drive Line Servicing. Might still have to explain to them what you want done, but they should be able to figure it out also.

https://www.bgprod.com/find-a-shop/

If you are in/near Raleigh NC for example

• The Car Place
    4813 Hargrove Road
    Raleigh, NC 27616
    919-878-5600
  • AAA Car Care Center
    4618 Atlantic Avenue
    Raleigh, NC 27612
    919-719-1490
  • AAA Car Care Center
    6014 Glenwood Ave.
    Raleigh, NC 27612
    919-832-5907
  • Capital Ford-Millbrook Rd
    2807 Millbrook Rd.
    Raleigh, NC 27616
    919-790-4700
  • Sir Walter Chevrolet
    8501 Glenwood Avenue
    Raleigh, NC 27612
    919-787-3700
  • Quail Corners Shell
    1326 East Millbrook Rd
    Raleigh, NC 27609
    919-876-2235
  • Atlantic Avenue Tire & Service
    2131 Harrod Street
    Raleigh, NC 27604
    919-872-6506
  • Black's Tire & Auto #35
    1823 East Millbrook Rd
    Raleigh, NC 27609
    919-878-1166
  • Capital Ford, Inc.
    4900 Capital Blvd
    Raleigh, NC 27616
    919-790-4600
  • Capital Ford, Inc.
    2807 Millbrook Rd.
    Raleigh, NC 27616
    919-790-4700
  • Capital Ford Quick Lane
    4900 Capital Blvd
    RALEIGH, NC 27616
    919-790-4748
  • Chapel Hill Tire, Inc
    2131 Harrod Street
    Raleigh, NC 27604
    919-872-0786
  • Capital Chevrolet
    1820 Capital Blvd
    raleigh, NC 27604
    919-573-5252
  • Like 2

What do you think of letting my nearby Firestone change it? I have an ESP (Ford) thats good till 2020 and don’t want to invalidate it by having a non-Ford fluid used.

Or I can drive 50 miles and try another Ford dealer...

PTU

If Firestone is a quick-lube or tire change place, I'd not allow them to touch any of my vehicles, ..... I'd take it to a reputable independent service centre.

The use of non-Ford fluid has no impact on your warranty if it meets or exceeds the Ford's spec - Ford has serviced my vehicle with non-Ford fluid that I provided.

Edited by 1004ron

Check for a local transmission shop. They have the equipment and are usually contentious.

I had to talk directly to the technician at my local Ford dealer. Service reps are sales reps, NOT technicians. Tech came out, i told him what I wanted and he sure, no problem. He through out 1/2 hour and a can of lubericant (even though it only used a few ounces). $80 total. Tell them they can use the same pump they use to service the rear axles.

(Also mention that Ford has a service procedure based on towing and driving through deep water.)

• Like 2

Check for a local transmission shop. They have the equipment and are usually contentious.

I had to talk directly to the technician at my local Ford dealer. Service reps are sales reps, NOT technicians. Tech came out, i told him what I wanted and he sure, no problem. He through out 1/2 hour and a can of lubericant (even though it only used a few ounces). $80 total. Tell them they can use the same pump they use to service the rear axles.

(Also mention that Ford has a service procedure based on towing and driving through deep water.)

Are you referring to the RDU?

If so, the RDU takes 75W90 and the PTU 75-140

Maybe you're referring to the extractor equipment.

Edited by 1004ron

I have spent well over two months going over the info in this and other Ford forums and have reached a dismal conclusion. This PTU problem has gone on for over a decade with Ford just watching and not acting. When a manufacturer has a problem and they all do, address it and solve it. Put an engineering team on it and solve the problem! This PTU problem has really highlighted a serious problem with Ford in general, and that is the unwillingness to identify and address major problems and the lack of warranty support. I don't want to buy from a car from a company like that. Forget the 2019 Edge... there are too many other choices out there and I will not have to support Ford in the process.

Ford should be ashamed of it's lack of integrity, which is so clearly displayed across all the forums.

Even though I agree that Ford has sat on this (and many other defects like 2 piece spark plugs in v8 engines in the early to mid 2000’s, the cam phasers on 5.4 Tritons, the 6.0 diesel debacle...) tell me what manufacturor has not done something akin, if not in quantity... I have owned Toyotas and for years they were very high on quality... well tell that to Sienna minivan owners and their $1100 power sliding doors (apiece). Tell that to Honda Odysee owners in the early 2000’s who had to pony up $5K plus for their defective transmissions as well as their own power sliding door issues... Tell that to Chrysler owners with their myriad of complaints, GM and their piston slap of 2007, newer transmission issues all over their pickup forums..., Subaru Boxer engines with head gaskets, the list goes on and on...

My point is that you can find crap build quality on every maker, and I am not even starting on BMW Jaguar and Mercedes with their “vaunted” European technologies...

If you like a particular product, do your due diligence (so easy these days with forums) and read up. Then make an informed decision. Swearing off a car maker due to a problem or problematic area is, well, kinda uninformed. It’s everywhere in todays business community. Almost no firm does what’s right due to the bottom line being the driving force. If an executive were to fess up and recall or repair problems, they’d be hit with multiple claims and lawsuits from past unsatisfied customers and even shareholders whose stock prices have now been diminished, or whose dividends just took a hit due to payments made to owners for repairs...

It cannot be reasonably expected that a multi-billion dollar business will follow a guiding principle to “put the customer first”. Would they get new customers and keep current ones? Probably so however the accountants and attorneys would just point to the actual estimates of costs to be incurred vs. the totally unknown amount of future sales and say: “which one is likely to happen”.

I’d like to see the quality control engineers be victors over the lawyers and “bean counters” but its likely not going to happen. So I will read the forums, grumble about having to change my PTU fluid when it shouldnt have to be done, and “drive on”.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My 07 Edge just digested a needle bearing in the ptu . I have to order a USA made bearing from China and pay 40$ to ship back to N.Y. 

might just buy a new ptu. Can purchase for 695$ delivered to my door

with a 2year warranty.  Then not worry about wear and tear of everything else. Bought the Edge new and love it. I am a victim of profit driven and

very untrustworthy ford dealership. They won't change a taillight bulb 

without first charging a 100$ consulting fee to make sure it is really out.

NO JOKE!!! Then a separate charge for bulb and install.

That's why I own my own car lift and garage. It pays for itself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EDST777 said:

the new principles and approaches in development of society are necessary as in this situation the consumer society has exhausted the potential and nothing new can offer, it is way to technogenic degradation, there is no moral vector of development in coil.

Is that the root cause of the PTU failures?