PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

# phases of a company:

1) Built by Technical people (remember RCA's slogan - Quality goes in before the name goes on!)

2) Run by Accountants (too many MBA's yapping about shareholder value and EBITDA)

3) Shut down by Lawyers. 

You pick the Root Cause!

Why Ford can't put a PTU drain in and recommend oil change intervals just amazes me! Most everything else with bearings and oil requires oil changes. (#1 above)

(well maybe not those muffler bearings lol) 

But really all it has to do is last to the end of the warranty (#2 above). 

They have been building cars for a hundred years. How about learning from previous mistakes - but that might mean admitting you had a problem? (#3 above) 

Between Ford's lifetime fluid debacle and outsourcing the manufacturing of the PTU they simply can't figure it out.  Ford doesn't want to acknowledge nor admit that there is a issue with the PTU design and implementation. I have a co worker (2014 sport) that is on their 2nd PTU replacement. Ford makes it extremely difficult to purchase a replacement unit from the Middle East. Ironically that unit has a built in drain to facilitate changing the fluid.

Ford's solution was to include a drain on the 15-18 edge and going forward they decided to liquid cool the PTU with the 2019 ST.  While this may indicate progress to some, they still insist on using the same fluid. 

If they acknowledged the problem, they might have to come up with a solution! And then all those with failed PTU's would want Ford to replace them for free!  Accountants would poo-poo that - so history repeats itself - don't correct or acknowledge the problem. Same as the aluminum hood corrosion issue on Mustangs. No problem (to Ford) because it isn't perforation in the warranty period. I wonder how the aluminum F150's will hold up. Will history be repeating itself again maybe???? Is that deja deja vu?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brian K said:

If they acknowledged the problem, they might have to come up with a solution! And then all those with failed PTU's would want Ford to replace them for free!  Accountants would poo-poo that - so history repeats itself - don't correct or acknowledge the problem. Same as the aluminum hood corrosion issue on Mustangs. No problem (to Ford) because it isn't perforation in the warranty period. I wonder how the aluminum F150's will hold up. Will history be repeating itself again maybe???? Is that deja deja vu?

Some Mazdas use the same PTU and they acknowledged the problem. Mazda extended the warranty. Ironically Ford has not. 

• Like 2

My car of 2008, on it 158000 kilometers while I change liquid in ptu each 7000 km. I do not even dream of guarantee, but I wish to know honestly why it occurs and if I have to replace ptu, I would like to receive the working, full-fledged gear. Or me to hope for Ford guarantee? It is real, Ford will replace to me free of charge ptu by car of 2008?) And who then will buy those ptu which lie at them in warehouse!?)

Edited by EDST777

3 hours ago, EDST777 said:

since then there have passed 10 years, they not strongly hurry). Interestingly what number ptu with the changed bearings and the camera for oil?

I don't understand what you mean by camera for the oil. If you are referring to inspecting it, I would suggest doing a flush and fill a few times and have a reputable shop inspect a sample of the old fluid.  Based on the results you may be able to save your PTU or you have to replace it.  The only thing you have invested at that point is drain/ siphoning the old fluid out, paying for the sample to be analyzed and new fluids. 

If DIY You might want to drain and fill a few times to ensure that you get most if not all of the old fluid out. Drive it for 50-100 miles and drain and fill again.  Some suggest using a cleaner of some sort.  You would have to be very diligent to assure that all of the cleaner is removed. 

If you have a shop do it they have machines that can extract all of the fluid, gunk and build up from the PTU.

Since you are in Russia you might be better served to see if you can get a PTU from the Middle East. As far as I know those are the only ones that come from the factory with a drain plug to facilitate fluid changes due to being classified as extreme duty.

Or I would buy the most recent revision PTU for your model if one with a drain plug is not available. I would either install the drain myself or have a shop do it. 

I would suggest Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple. My brother prefers Redline and I prefer Amsoil. We both agree that Royal Purple is a worthy equivalent.  Either way any of the brands I mentioned are better than the "lifetime" fluid from Motorcraft/ Ford.

Good Luck. 

• Like 2

thanks for your detailed answer. On my ptu I have made recently drain plug and I use it, before I changed oil using big pharmaceutical pressure gun on 100 milliliters and plastic tube of appropriate size, but part of oil always remained and it was partial replacement, I did it rather often.я did it in one hour, now using plug I do full replacement and it easier and quicker. I use Castrol 75w 140, it hope approaches for this purpose enough, but I will address attention to the oils offered by you, it seemed to me for this gear in this case there is no special difference in brand, but replacement frequency is important. perhaps I was mistaken. for the following replacement I have bought motul 75 w140, heard many good reviews about this oil, but it seems to me that work of oil will be obvious only on the new gear if the needle bearer has begun will not get out brand of oil from the seat to be crucial.

Edited by EDST777

17 minutes ago, EDST777 said:

thanks for your detailed answer. On my ptu I have made recently drain plug and I use it, before I changed oil using big pharmaceutical pressure gun on 100 milliliters and plastic tube of appropriate size, but part of oil always remained and it was partial replacement, I did it rather often.я did it in one hour, now using plug I do full replacement and it easier and quicker. I use Castrol 75w 140, it hope approaches for this purpose enough, but I will address attention to the oils offered by you, it seemed to me for this gear in this case there is no special difference in brand, but replacement frequency is important. perhaps I was mistaken. for the following replacement I have bought motul 75 w140, heard many good reviews about this oil, but it seems to me that work of oil will be obvious only on the new gear if the needle bearer has begun will not get out brand of oil from the seat to be crucial.

If you have access to shop that can remove all of the prexisiting fluid that would be the best way to go.  I would try a cleaner to remove all of the old fluid, but since you have said that you have done it a few times you should be all good.

Motul is a excellent company with a stellar reputation. I failed to mention them because I do not use them very often and their fluids actually cost more than the ones I mentioned. (At least in my neck of the woods.)  If I had a choice I would choose Motul over Castrol.  I have used both over the years and would not hesitate to use either if in a pinch. 

Like you said the frequency of the fluid change is important. The other contributing factor is the flashpoint. The flashpoint is the weak link with the Motorcraft fluid. You should compare specs between the fluids.  This way you can make an informed decision. 

1 minute ago, omar302 said:

Just a thought, if you are not able to buy a PTU for  a pre 2015 with a drain plug (Middle East spec), would a PTU from a 2015+ with a drain plug fit? Would that be an option for those in the US? 

I have often heard but never personally checked to see if the parts/ part numbers were compatible. I have read that some have replaced their PTUs with SHO performance package  or the Taurus Police Interceptor PTUs.  Those models both have drains.  I may have read that PTU from the explorer will work. I say may have read because I do a ton of surfing and sometimes its hard to keep track of the various places etc.  But you very well may be on to something. 

• Like 2

I also installed a heat shield made from a piece of tin and mounted it between the exhaust and the PTU - basically a larger shield than the OEM one. From many previous posts, the consensus was that the reason these things fail is from extended heat soakings from the exhaust which is very close by thereby cooking the oil and causing it to get thicker and thicker and not providing any lube to the bearings. After a while, it starts to puke from the vent and oil on the garage floor is the first sign most people get that the PTU has a problem. By then it is too late. The PTU is just an expensive gearbox which really should last forever - but not with gooey oil that has boiled off. Poor lube and it doesn't have a chance. I generally change the oil every 8000 miles and all has been good - so far and that was 4 years ago. Perhaps too frequent (?). I drilled a drain hole and threaded it. Initially I tried to suck it out from the fill hole but there was interference in getting the little sucker tube in and i didn't get much out. I somewhat doubt that a shop could do much better sucking it out. A drain is the way to go because you get to flush the crap out. I have been using Castrol 75W140. Yes the other more expensive oils would probably be marginally better, but I prefer more frequent changes. A friend says "You have to change oil or change parts - and oil is much cheaper". Good advice.

• Like 3

I want to add that here perhaps several main reasons which work or at the same time or in combination or in turn. There is video where sorted ptu ford edge and it was visible that in certain cases, often eventually the needle bearer leaves the place in pinion gear and begins to mix up outside. Its edges sharpen aluminum cap of ptu, the rumble and vibration at speed appears and if it not to stop the bearing will wedge. Offset of the bearing can stop big than oem hollow disk which will not allow to be displaced to the bearing. There is video, but in Russian, I will place the reference to it below, I think there the sense will be clear.

in this video ptu Mazda cx9, Ford explorer v, Ford edge are compared. ptu ford edge and explorer identical also suit one another. They differ from cx9 in one detail, it is shaft with vents which is inserted into gear box differential cup. This shaft can easily be replaced with ptu edge with cx9 and back. The hollow disk which holds pinion gear, but which does not hold the bearing and the bearing over time is shown comes from the seat to light sharpening ptu cap.

as option the solution is proposed: to turn hollow disk big by the size which will hold the bearing on the place.

Edited by EDST777