PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

All was fine before getting the new PTU, but then again, this is the first snow since last winter. I decided not to call for a tow, just getting up extra early to drive to the dealer (about 6 miles) before morning rush hour traffic. I would think if it was worn pads, they would have caught this when servicing the car. Will update when I get the car back. What worries me is that when the ABS kicked in, the car really shuddered, not the typical pulsating sensation of the brake pedal when ABS are active.

Edited by JOEHIO

:cry:I never heard from the dealership, I called them. They said the brakes (ABS) check out fine, and their LEAD mechanic test drove another MKS and it made the same sound (like galloping horses) as mine did. I told them that this is not acceptable, I will go up their after my dentist appointment this afternoon, and I want the service manager to listen to my video (from my cell phone), and tell me that the sound and vibration on the floor of galloping horses is normal, never mind the car took a long time to stop in the snow - kept on sliding. Not a happy camper here

I was able to send the video to the service writers phone. He showed it to the service manager, who agreed that this is normal as the cars age ( OMG, is a 3 year old car over the hill?). One service writer said that her Edge sport makes this crazy sound and vibration, too. I did bring the car home, have paperwork that they claim all is okay, but god forbid, if I loose control of the car because of the ABS not working properly, Ford Motor company is gonna be up shits creek ! If I knew how to upload the video from my iphone to this forum, I would do it. I'm going to take it to a independent repair guy in m y neighborhood, let him hear the video. I told them at the dealer, that as soon as it snows, and the ABS screw up, I'll be up there so they can drive it in snow, and try to stop SHORTLY with messed up ABS.

Just had my PTU go bad on my 2011 Edge. Service manager said they pulled the plug on it and it had metal shavings to they have to replace it. When they put it on the racks, he said the PTU wasn't leaking so the smell must have been coming from the afore mentioned vent in the top. Is Ford ever going to man up and admit that this is a manufacturer's defect that should be recalled?

I was able to send the video to the service writers phone. He showed it to the service manager, who agreed that this is normal as the cars age ( OMG, is a 3 year old car over the hill?). One service writer said that her Edge sport makes this crazy sound and vibration, too. I did bring the car home, have paperwork that they claim all is okay, but god forbid, if I loose control of the car because of the ABS not working properly, Ford Motor company is gonna be up shits creek ! If I knew how to upload the video from my iphone to this forum, I would do it. I'm going to take it to a independent repair guy in m y neighborhood, let him hear the video. I told them at the dealer, that as soon as it snows, and the ABS screw up, I'll be up there so they can drive it in snow, and try to stop SHORTLY with messed up ABS.

Ā 

Having used ABS in many slippery conditions and different cars. I've noticed it isn't the most natural sounding experience and it also won't allow your car to stop on a dime just slow better than pumping your brakes. Not saying you don't have a problem just something to think about.

Does anybody with this problem have a suggestion for where to buy a replacement PDU unit? I see them on ebay, but does anyone have experience with a good place to buy one at a reasonable price? Looks like I'm in this boat after an inspection on the lift last night. 2007 Edge, leaking dark think PDU/PTO fluid and loose bolts on side of unit.

Ā 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jonathan

Ā 

Ā 

My tires have 31,000 miles on them. Have NEVER experienced this on any vehicle we've had with ABS. First car was a '91 Ford Taurus LX, and have always been FOMOCO cars since. Have had cars with a lot more miles on tires, and they still performed normally.

Edited by JOEHIO

Tasca is selling the PTU online (part # AT4Z-7251-D), but any dealer with a good rating selling online (looks like $670 or so) should be fine. I would not try to put in a used or junkyard PTU. Just be sure that the PTU fluid is at the proper level before/after installation.

Ā 

EDIT: Just checked our site sponsor, LevittownFordSuperCenter, and looks like they still have free UPS ground shipping. So you can score one for slightly lower price - $618 shipped!

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/oemparts.php?partstr=123/AT4Z7251D.html

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thanks for all the great suggestions as I get prepared to take this on. OMAR302, I cannot find anyone in the states that sells the PTU with the drain plug. My intention is to drill/tap one in regardless.

Ā 

I'll support the site sponsor mentioned also and buy there when I get ready.

Ā 

I also ran across this good post on the Ford Flex site where he reviews many of the tools needed for the seal replacement, and some alternatives to the factory tools, even how to make one of the tools.

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5140

Ā 

Ā 

I do have another question; on some of the parts lookup sites it asks if I have the "6F" transaxle or the "6F50" transaxle. For example, on www.fordparts.com. How do I tell which one I have? I'm sure it's the 6F50, but I don't want to end up with a bunch of the wrong parts.

Ā 

Thanks everyone for the help!

Ā 

I do have another question; on some of the parts lookup sites it asks if I have the "6F" transaxle or the "6F50" transaxle. For example, on www.fordparts.com. How do I tell which one I have? I'm sure it's the 6F50, but I don't want to end up with a bunch of the wrong parts.

Ā 

Ā 

Pretty sure the 6F50 is the only Edge tranny, but there should be a code on the door jamb.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read online that the 2013 still has this same problem. Does anyone know if the 2014 has the same problem with the same PTO unit? I'm guessing the entirely redesigned 2015 has s different drivetrain.

Ā 

This situation reminds me of the Porsche Intermediate Shaft Failure (IMS). Porsche denied it for years (since 2001) but last fall it was granted Class Action status. would think this PTO problem would get some similar traction.

• Like 2

Ford is losing sales by word of mouth. Friend of mine ruled out a AWD Ford Edge purchase after i recommended he research the AWD ford edge before he made a decison. One sale lost due to Fords inability to fix the problem. I did recommend the FWD but he wanted an AWD for his wife and daughter.

• Like 1

Ā 

Ā 

However you also need to inspect the PTU to verify that it is fine. I found a very EASY way to do this.

Ā 

I'll elaborate more tomorrow when I am done and I get all my pictures up :)

Ā 

Cya soon.

Natrix, I really appreciate your posts on this topic it really helped me figure out what's going on. What is the EASY way you're referring to for checking if the PTU is fine?

Ā 

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

2007 Ford Flex. I've installed a drain plug and have done one refill. It's helped but it's still puking a bit. I want to flush with diesel next time but want to try and spray some brake cleaner into the seperator through the vent first. Then drain again and then fill with fresh gear oil. Hopefully that would take care of the vomiting.

Ā 

Any one know how hard is it to remove the vent cap on these ptu's? Does it just pop off and back on easily or is there a risk of breaking something?