PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

Ugh. This forum is become a checklist!

- brake booster failure? Check!

- ptu leak? Check!

Just waiting for my APIM to go...

I still love my edge... It's currently sitting at the dealership. I noticed oil drops on my garage floor (the epoxy still looks new, 6 years later!). Took it in yesterday and I am driving a 2014 Passat until tomorrow (I've had worse loaners).

According to my service advisor they plan on replacing the PTU gasket/seal and refilling with oil. We shall see.

On a positive note this saves 400 something miles I would have otherwise put on my edge (headed down to MD for two days).

Ugh. This forum is become a checklist!

- brake booster failure? Check!

- ptu leak? Check!

Just waiting for my APIM to go...

I still love my edge... It's currently sitting at the dealership. I noticed oil drops on my garage floor (the epoxy still looks new, 6 years later!). Took it in yesterday and I am driving a 2014 Passat until tomorrow (I've had worse loaners).

According to my service advisor they plan on replacing the PTU gasket/seal and refilling with oil. We shall see.

On a positive note this saves 400 something miles I would have otherwise put on my edge (headed down to MD for two days).

Consider yourself lucky, at least your issues are covered under warranty. My Edge has been sitting in my driveway for 4 months because it's been rendered useless. I'll have to tow it to the dealer and who knows what else they'll find wrong with it other than the PTU unit...and quite frankly, I don't have the money to sink into it.

But it sure looks pretty in my driveway!

IMG_2842_zpsoflmu99m.jpg

What a travesty that Ford knows all about these documented issue and still produces the same faulty product year after year.

Edited by Ironpeddler
  • Like 1

Hello candurin,

Whats the status of your vehicle? Is it still at the dealer? If so, Ill be happy to look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

Hi Tricia! No worries, my dealer is taking care of everything. I'll be picking up my edge tomorrow.

They took great care of me (as they always do). My edge problems have always been addressed immediately.

FYI, my local dealer is Chapman Ford of Egg Harbor NJ.

Thanks for looking out for me, though.

Edited by candurin

Well, even after cleaning out the PTU and putting in Royal Purple, it still gave out on me...I guess I was too late. The vibration shakes the car incredibly and it now leaks from every bearing, so I guess I'm as close to a catastrophic failure as one could get short of hearing an explosion. I haven't moved the car in weeks. I called around and so far I got prices of $1,450.00 and $1,387.00 (plus NJ tax) to replace it.

Has anyone else gotten replacement quotes around the country in this range?...more?...less? I'm curious to know.

Thanks guys.

Quotes on mine were around that range. I was able to save mine (for now) by just doing 6 oil changes in two months and getting it flushed out. Good luck..

So my Edge's PTU started to leak at 20k. It's leaking at the rear output shaft. The fluid is black and super stinky. It's smooth and almost the consistency of WD40. Im assuming the oil has broken down and separated into a thin liquid and a heavy sludge from heat causing it to leak from the seals. Kinda bullshit considering that the Edge only has 20k. They are looking at it next week when they replace the defective leather seat. At least my local dealer is good to work with.

Hello Everyone,

If your vehicle is experiencing this symptom, please don’t hesitate to contact me. PM your VIN and mileage. I’ll check my resources on this end! :)

Hi Tricia! No worries, my dealer is taking care of everything. I'll be picking up my edge tomorrow.

They took great care of me (as they always do). My edge problems have always been addressed immediately.

FYI, my local dealer is Chapman Ford of Egg Harbor NJ.

Thanks for looking out for me, though.

Candurin,

Thanks for the update, and I’m glad to learn that your dealer is taking good care of you.

I’ll be here if you need me, and have a great weekend! B)

Tricia

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from @FordService? Is that user legit?

I'm going to service my PTU tomorrow.

13EdgeSport; I have been having a back and forth PM conversation with @FordService and I believe it's legit, and somehow part of Ford. I don't know how to prove that, but I have been in touch with multiple people through that account, and it seems to be a formal Ford social media response team of some sort.

Just finished the PTU and rear differential. My PTU seal was serviced last June, I'm certain the fluid was fully changed then. So when I changed the fluid it came out dark, but was still easy to pump out. I was worried about over filling, but I think I added about 12oz.

The rear differential fluid was grey and milky, and was much harder to pump out. I tried to use the 1/8" tubing to pump it back in but gave up and used some 1/4" tubing, which sped everything up. I'm not sure how full it was but I filled it till it drained out.

I did check everything while I was under there, and my rear passenger CV housing seal is seaping a bit. My Edge is a CPO, and still under the 5/60 with 43,000 miles, is this something to worry about, or am I asking for more problems having them tear in to the differential?

Doing the PTU was really simple, I didn't even need the 3/8" wobble. I just stuck the wrench up there. I laid on my back and had plenty of room for my hands.

Just finished the PTU and rear differential. My PTU seal was serviced last June, I'm certain the fluid was fully changed then. So when I changed the fluid it came out dark, but was still easy to pump out. I was worried about over filling, but I think I added about 12oz.

The rear differential fluid was grey and milky, and was much harder to pump out. I tried to use the 1/8" tubing to pump it back in but gave up and used some 1/4" tubing, which sped everything up. I'm not sure how full it was but I filled it till it drained out.

I did check everything while I was under there, and my rear passenger CV housing seal is seaping a bit. My Edge is a CPO, and still under the 5/60 with 43,000 miles, is this something to worry about, or am I asking for more problems having them tear in to the differential?

Doing the PTU was really simple, I didn't even need the 3/8" wobble. I just stuck the wrench up there. I laid on my back and had plenty of room for my hands.

I'm a little concerned that you say the rear diff was white or milky, usually that's an indication of water in the oil. But then on the other hand, if it was caused by water, you addressed that by changing the oil, so sounds like you are doing OK.

• Like 1

I would just like to address the fact that I wish this was around when I was having PTU issues when I lived in upstate NY just before I went overseas and moved my family back to MN while I was. We had a full vehicle and was towing a 70 bug on a trailer as well. There was no way that I was going to make it if I didn't get something fixed. I spent almost $800 and had everything changed from the rear to the front, flushed and filled. The dealership I was working with treated me real well and explained everything to me while I was in the shop with the car on the lift pointing out the issues with the PTU. They changed out the fluid after flushing it out several times due to the thickness in it and it was like a new car. This fluid service happened with 165,000 miles on the car and we now have 184,000 miles on it currently with it still running like a top. Only thing I have had to do to the car is the bearings all the way around as far as any major issues is concerned, not including the massive safety recall Ford has with the fuel tank. Ford had my car for 3 weeks after finding out that my vehicle was one of the few that had a massive fuel leak coming through the top of the tank. They gave us a rental and paid for everything while the car was being worked on. We are now about to have the timing chain cover removed due to a pretty bad leak and was told it'll cost $1200 but it needs to be done. It's about that time for this kind of stuff to be start and is expected. We love this vehicle and it has been across the country several times now, more than I can count. Bought it in 2010 before I went to Afghanistan with 68K miles on it and drive it everywhere. Other than my 00 Ranger (11years) and 00 Expedition (6 years), this is the longest we have had a vehicle going on 5 years now and plan to drive the wheels off this thing. Excellent post everyone and looks like I'll be on here much more over time. By the way, the Edge pulled that loaded trailer 1,300 miles from Upstate NY to MN like a champ!

What engine do you have in your Edge?

On my 2011 Edge with the 3.5 I do not have much room to access my PTU drain plug without moving the exhaust pipe it seems.

I can use a long handle socket I suppose, but it looks like it would be a very time consuming and messy affair trying to doing without just moving the exhaust to the side on my 2011 with the 3.5 engine.

Edited by carguy75

What engine do you have in your Edge?

On my 2011 Edge with the 3.5 I do not have much room to access my PTU drain plug without moving the exhaust pipe it seems.

I can use a long handle socket I suppose, but it looks like it would be a very time consuming and messy affair trying to doing without just moving the exhaust to the side on my 2011 with the 3.5 engine.

I can take a picture if needed. I have the 3.7l, so the exhaust could be different, but I still had room to work around it.

Picture this:

Laying on your back looking up at the drain plug. You can place the handle of the ratchet facing towards the front of car, while positioning the 3/8" head of the wrench so it slides in to the drain plug. It should only be torqued to 25-30ft/lbs, so it should loosen fairly easy.

When looking at the PTU, and drain plug, there was a sub frame in between my body and the PTU. I was able to reach down (towards my legs) and around (above) the sub frame, with plenty of room to feed the drain hose.

Edited by 13EdgeSport