Larry, newer oil compositions are targeted to meet the latest specs, basically API SN+ or ILSAC GF6. These have come out due to the need for tackling issues with direct injection engines and carbon buildup/fuel dilution. Along with continuing improvements in fuel economy etc of course. It seems oils are moving towards more ashless composition to achieve goals, similar to the TCW3 specification for 2 cycle outboard/marine engines. So additives in oils are being reduced. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for engine life, whether you will have to have two tier specs for gasoline engines like what they have for diesel engines currently. Not yet decided.

The best test still remains analysis from laboratories like Blackstone, since all us folks can only go by results :) Visual inspection of oil of course, both on the dipstick and through the oil fill hole, is also helpful in detecting varnish buildup. If there is no varnish and lab testing corroborates wear rates, you are probably good to go with the oil & OCI you chose to have tested. Note that if your driving conditions/style change, you should get the used oil retested to verify your oil/OCI is still good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Next up I purchased 4 quick lube oil filters at four different quick lube shops. The interesting song and dance to get them to sell me the filter only was interesting and funny. I then opened them up and found..... Video to be released soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...